FJR bags on FJ

You can see my FJR bags (clicky) and they look like this now:    

fYkmtPr.jpg
You can order 2014 FJR bags in the same red as the FJ comes in and  it looks like this:

RedFJ-09_zps9813f5bf.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Here's a link to the Yamaha case I bought.  It fits on the Yamaha rack, and is quick on and off.  Holds 2 helmets, and looks like it matches the lines of the bike a bit better than other trunks I looked at (my opinion, obviously).  Also, you can re-key the lock on the yamaha trunk (and bags), to use the ignition key.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/accessories/genuine-options/luggage/50l-top-case-city/34B-F84A8-10-00/details.acc

the Yamaha GYT Top Case on their site. What other company top case fits onto this mounting plate, GIVI, Shad, Kappa? Is the mounting plate monokey or monolock?
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing

Yes, they fit using the same mounting points.  The inner 2/3 of the bag is the same, just the lid is thinner, so the bike won't be quite as wide as the FJR.  Yamaha does have a nice OEM trunk that will hold 2 helmets. 
That's what I went with--city hard bags and a big trunk.  All of it pops on and off in seconds.
Finalizing my bag setup and went with the City bags and 50 litre Yamaha top box as well. I can't wait until it all comes together. 

• 2 weeks later...
So if I buy the FJ-09 bag mounts, and FJR panniers, it all installs no sweat? No funky mods needed? 
What are side stays?

Kind of hard to picture since I don't own the bike yet.

I have a big ass givi trunk I've had mounted on a few different bikes. Would just need a tail rack to mount it to.

Thanks for all the quick replies!
No funky mods unless you went with a tail tidy and keep the stock turn signals. The side stays hold the bottom of the cases so they wont flop around.

So...what are the"funky mods"?
I went with the One Off Fabrication Tail Tidy that's popular around here. It looks to me that with stock turn signals on this mount the signals will clear the bags (Does not extend past the sides under the seat.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I went to the dealer yesterday to order the FJR unpainted side bags. The guy that helped me was hesitant to sell me these bags for the FJ 09 because they weren't "in the book" for the FJ only the FJR. He explained that the 20% restocking fee and return shipping wouldn't be cheap if they didn't work.He felt they would probably need "mods" So, he talked me out of it. I came home and found this thread and felt confident they would. I went back and ordered the FJR bags ....and a comfort seat :-P  Thanks guys for the posts that cleared that up. 

Jon

I am still waiting for the hard bag mounts from YOC racing. They were due to be shipped from Yamaha on 1st of April, now 1st of May. Hope it's not indefinite. I am pretty sure I could have some fabricated in a day for a fraction of the price if needs be...

• Premium Member
I am still waiting for the hard bag mounts from YOC racing. They were due to be shipped from Yamaha on 1st of April, now 1st of May. Hope it's not indefinite. I am pretty sure I could have some fabricated in a day for a fraction of the price if needs be...
My dealer price matched YOC, but only if the item was in stock at Yamaha. He showed Yamaha having all items,including mounts. So, hopefully not May 1st!  
Jon