Trade In Quotes

tinkerfreak

OK, so I am sitting in the Orthopedic Surgeons office and he starts telling me that they are going to have to go into my left wrist AGAIN and try to correct my issue, at this point my brain stops listening and the self to self conversation begins " AGAIN, are you freakin kidding me! This will be the third time and the best I have been able to get out of it is two years with minimal pain and swelling. So after the AGAIN part I heard very little and start to ponder my riding future and decide that I might take a look at an Africa Twin DCT.

So I take my FJ to a Honda Powersports facility and look at the AT and ask for a trade in quote, they take the bike in the shop and 30 minutes later the salesman comes back and tells me that they will give me $4600.00 CDN for my bike as a trade in. Now my bike has the suspension front springs and intermediate Matt kit and a rear Matris shock, Givi engine guards, Seth Lamm seat, Parabellum tall windscreen, slipper clutch, 2016 oil sump, Givi top box rack, braided steel brake lines and the 320mm front discs, McCruise cruise control, a PC8 fuse box with all accessory circuits with a relay and the bike just rolled over 12,000 kms so is this right for trade in value? I'm confused.

Cheers

57 minutes ago, tinkerfreak said:

OK, so I am sitting in the Orthopedic Surgeons office and he starts telling me that they are going to have to go into my left wrist AGAIN and try to correct my issue, at this point my brain stops listening and the self to self conversation begins " AGAIN, are you freakin kidding me! This will be the third time and the best I have been able to get out of it is two years with minimal pain and swelling. So after the AGAIN part I heard very little and start to ponder my riding future and decide that I might take a look at an Africa Twin DCT.

So I take my FJ to a Honda Powersports facility and look at the AT and ask for a trade in quote, they take the bike in the shop and 30 minutes later the salesman comes back and tells me that they will give me $4600.00 CDN for my bike as a trade in. Now my bike has the suspension front springs and intermediate Matt kit and a rear Matris shock, Givi engine guards, Seth Lamm seat, Parabellum tall windscreen, slipper clutch, 2016 oil sump, Givi top box rack, braided steel brake lines and the 320mm front discs, McCruise cruise control, a PC8 fuse box with all accessory circuits with a relay and the bike just rolled over 12,000 kms so is this right for trade in value? I'm confused.

Cheers

Sadly - and I'm sure it's true everywhere - even fully-loaded as your bike is, that means very little, whether trading-in with a dealer or selling privately.   I have already mentally written-off most if not all the $2100 spent on top-notch K-tech suspension upgrade, both ends, as well as the rest of my (all non-bling) enhancements.   It seems it's part of the price paid to get any bike to where one wants it to be.   Just be thankful it's not a BMW!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

@tinkerfreak Motorcycle shops in general give very little on trade in. You are better off returning it to stock prior to trading it in. Aftermarket accessories don't add much value at all... but you can sell them separately and make up some of the expense.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

4 hours ago, tinkerfreak said:

Cheers

Never trade in a vehicle unless you absolutely positively have to get rid of it that day. And when is that ever the case?

List it on Facebook motorcycle groups, list it on forums. You never get back all the money that you put into a bike plus upgrades. Same with cars.  So, list the bike at a price that would attract you, if you were looking for one. You can always sell some of the extras separately on here.

Fall is a hard time to sell a bike, its getting cold, the market is smaller when its getting cold, but take a trial run. Take a ton of pics, talk up the extra care you took for that bike in your facebook ads, talk about the extras. Take alot of pics of the bike, post all the GOOD ones, dont post the bad pics. 

And if it doesn't sell this fall, relist it in the spring, when guys are itchin for newer bikes to ride.

Sell it on here, you can list it in classifieds for free. Some people even donate a % of the profit to the forum as a thanks. (But not many) 🤔

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Cruizin I disagree.  Private vehicle sales can be a PITA.  The decision is the value of one’s time and aggravation v. loss of cash in hand.  

I have disposed of vehicles both ways and have been satisfied with the outcomes. 

Users of the forum should contribute what they can regardless!

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

Worked at dealership for a while. When you aren't trading in and only selling. They give you nothing. It adds to the sales for inventory. And means cash money(profits) spent on something. not just loan payments on new vechile inventory.   Especially if it is a brand they dont carry.

@tinkerfreak sorry to hear about your dilemma. If you decide to take off and sell aftermarket goodies separately, I’m located in BC and looking for a shock. 

Just a heads up, Honda just released info about the new ATwin, some nice improvements along with a displacement bump and touchscreen display. If these aren’t important I’m sure they’ll be looking to move the ‘19 models. Also Yamaha says the T7 will be here in the spring supposedly.  

-Skip

On 9/26/2019 at 8:14 AM, rustyshackles said:

Cruizin I disagree.  Private vehicle sales can be a PITA.  The decision is the value of one’s time and aggravation v. loss of cash in hand.  

I have disposed of vehicles both ways and have been satisfied with the outcomes. 

Users of the forum should contribute what they can regardless!

I sell all my bikes private party and come out thousands more than what scraps the dealers offer. If a dealer offers more, then they just raise the price and fees of the bike that you get. I dont allow test rides without cash and license copy.

• Thumbsup 1

Private sale is more effort, but so long as you don't cave and take a low ball offer I've always come out thousands ahead of dealership trade in.

Sorry to hear about your wrist OP. If you do decide to trade in, I'll buy + trade you my stock forks.

'15 FJ09

Private sale is definitely more effort, but if done right usually results in more bucks.   But looking at on-line ads from private sellers I'm often amazed at the efforts some would-be sellers go to NOT to present the bike in its best light - ads sparse on detail, crap pix, and too few of them, etc etc.   It's not that hard to tell the story, selling the sizzle and not the steak if you will, so long as it's truthful. 

I have always sold my bikes privately, always cash only (or cleared Bank cheque), and as others here say, have always come out way ahead.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Alright, so I was unable to work out a deal to my satisfaction with or without trade in so I am going to see a second surgeon in November when I get back from vacation to see what all my options are. I thought a second opinion could not hurt. So at this point I think I will hang onto the FJ cause I have spent a lot of cash to make it "my" bike and don't want to get into setting up a new bike to my preferences and forking out all that cash again to farkle it to my happy place is not desired.

I did a 3000 km jaunt with a friend of mine in September and the bike ran great with zero mechanical issues, the only cause for concern was my cruise control started acting up(troubleshooting in progress) but the bike itself ran flawlessly and returned 4.6 ltrs per 100 kms average, which I can live with. So if I keep it the only thing I will consider doing over the winter is the ECU reflash and then I am done with the mods and farkling(yea right!)😉.

Here's hoping.....

Cheers

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Wrist issues are a real bitch soft tissue damage occult fractures dislocations

I feel for you

You can always get a up down speed shifter or better a rekluse clutch that'd be trick

I looked at the original and read about the new AT but it's really tall and you end up farkling the hell out of it too

What's your mileage in MPG?

A flash definitely is it desirable

I just turned over 33,000 miles and my mileage has gone up I guess the damn thing finally is worn in, I don't like the term broken in LOL

I have hand and wrist issues as well (arthritis) and recently traded my Tracer for a DCT. During the negotiations with the Honda dealer I offered my bike with or without my accessories and asked him to quote me a price both ways. The quotes were identical, no allowance for my accessories. So I removed my carefully selected and meticulously installed bits and did the deal, parts are listed in the for sale section.

All the best to OP with surgery and possibly bike trade.

2019 Tracer GT,  Ontario, Canada