Battery Booster

HGP61

Since I moved house in June I have had to keep my bike in one of my friend's sheds. I dont have easy access to an electrical supply to top up the battery with a maintainance charger. This hasn't been an issue during the summer as the bike is out regularly, but with Autumn now with us I was thinking of getting a small lithium battery booster that I can charge at home and use it to top up the bike battery once or twice a week. I know that these boosters can be used to jump start an engine but I am not sure how effective they are at connecting to a bike battery  to top up the charge. Any advice or recommendations welcome.

Gavin

Hi John Using a battery booster is a compromise If I could easily run an extension cord from his upstairs flat to the back garden I would plug in my optimate. When I put the bike off the road for the winter I will pull the battery and bring it home. I just needed an idea if using one of these battery boosters is suitable for topping up the battery in the short term.

Unless you have altered the wiring at all, then the discharge should be the same whether you disconnect the negative or not. 

The lithium booster could work well, but as our batteries are quite small anyway I would just be tempted to remove it, charge at home and install it back in if you get the chance for a ride. That way you keep the battery at a decent temperature and have additional security whilst the bike is in the shed.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)