Shad Side bags for FJ-09 !!!

Glad to see they are finally delivering. 
I just happened to be at the furthest point in the continental US from Shad USA, so it's going to be until next Wednesday that I get mine. :-(

Be glad they don't have to cross a border to get to you.  Mine just cleared customs today.  Probably have them next week sometime.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're here! 

builderbob.... a question if you don't mind.   I was fitting the side and top mount hardware... I must be missing something.

I tried a couple of variations.. with the spacer, washers and mounts etc..... even with only 2 washers (the instructions provided only show how to install each separately.. and the top  case mount uses a lot of washers), the mounting screw does not seem to have a lot of meat left to go into the sides.... so either I'm ain't doing it right (always possible) or I'm missing hardware (was there a special set to mount both together?)

How did you mount both together?

• Premium Member
Good news I got mine today (top and side cases)... bad news the 2 keys sent inside the Top Case do not seem to fit the side cases. Anyone else encounter this problem?
The keys inside the top case are for the top case. There should be an extra lock cylinder inside one of the side cases. You use it to swap out the one in the top case so that you can use one key for all three. BTW, let me know if you figure out how to get that lock cylinder out. I'm at a loss.

• Premium Member
They're here! 

builderbob.... a question if you don't mind.   I was fitting the side and top mount hardware... I must be missing something. 
I tried a couple of variations.. with the spacer, washers and mounts etc..... even with only 2 washers (the instructions provided only show how to install each separately.. and the top  case mount uses a lot of washers), the mounting screw does not seem to have a lot of meat left to go into the sides.... so either I'm ain't doing it right (always possible) or I'm missing hardware (was there a special set to mount both together?)

Can't help you here. I'm using the OEM Yamaha rear rack on mine. It's a completely different setup. 

Good news I got mine today (top and side cases)... bad news the 2 keys sent inside the Top Case do not seem to fit the side cases. Anyone else encounter this problem?
The keys inside the top case are for the top case. There should be an extra lock cylinder inside one of the side cases. You use it to swap out the one in the top case so that you can use one key for all three. BTW, let me know if you figure out how to get that lock cylinder out. I'm at a loss.

Thanks 
I got the extra lock cylinder, but it came with not keys.  I contacted Shad.. they said there should be a set of keys in the side bag with the extra lock that match that one and the sided cases as you described...... but those 'extra' keys were not in the side case.

As for switching out the lock cylinder... given my situation, I probably won't try taking the current one out until I get a matching set.

Actually.. just found the extra keys... they were hidden from view (and it was late last night).  I turned the side case on its side to open and keys slide behind the bottom platform / shelf thing.. when you open the case the keys can't be seen as they are no longer in the main compartment... doooh   B-|

Can't help you here. I'm using the OEM Yamaha rear rack on mine. It's a completely different setup.
Ahh.. thanks anyway!

I got a pdf from Shad on the locking mechanism....not overly detailed.. but might help 
Lock Mechanism PDF

Install issues....

I can install the top rack or the side racks alone.  No issues with the side racks. but the top mount has some issues.
Each kit top and side has separate install instructions, but there are none for installing both at the same time.

The install directions for the top case only, show
[span]    [/span]- Front frame hole : spacer/2 washers/top mount/washer
[span]    [/span]- Rear frame hole : spacer/top mount/ washer
I tried this...the 2 washers are presumably to get the rear of each bracket closer together, problem is when you go to mount the top case base plate, you can get one side attached, but the other side is 1/4 - 1/2 inch to wide.... and it would take a lot of pressure to squeeze them together.... to much stress for my comfort. 

Something just does not feel right .. and yes in this case (top case only) I have it set up exactly as the instructions show.

I've tried several different variations...and ended up trying this with both brackets

- Front frame hole : spacer/2 washers/top mount/side mount/ washer
- Rear frame hole : spacer/top mount/side mount/ washer

(also tried the top mount on the outside...etc...)

I can get them on and can get them snugged up.. but the rear attachment for the Top case base plate is still way to wide to get the mounting holes matched up.

The other issue with this is the front screw.. with (spacer/2 washers/top mount/side mount/ washer) all this .. the screw does not have a lot of thread left to screw into the frame.  I can go get a longer screw.. but the issue with the top case base plate would still be there....

Again, something just does not feel/look right.... ???

Has anyone here actually installed both the Shad Top and Side racks?  If so... any input would be greatly appreciated.

============= Update ============
I think I may have it figured out.... took a few attempts...
The main issue was that once both the brackets were on.. it was virtually impossible to get the top case base plate on (yes all hardware screw were loose to allow movement), but I would have had to use a racket strap to pull the rear of the top rack to together enough to get the mounting screws in.

So, I installed (very very loosely) the top rack only.. I then attached the base plate.
I then removed each side of the top rack an and installed the side racks...The side racks have to be closest to the bike's frame otherwise they will be at an angle that really stresses the screws that attach to the foot pegs otherwise.

So the the configuration is
[span]    [/span]- Front Holes: spacer / side case rack / 2 washers/ top case rack / 1 washer
[span]    [/span]- Rear holes: spacer / side case rack / top case rack / 1 washer

The top case instructions show that the front hole needs 2 washers, presumably to relieve stress on the top rack rails.  So, I put those in... since the top case base plate was already on, that solved that issue of getting it after the fact.

There still seems to be a lot of side stresses on the top rack rails, but it does appear to be the best fit with the sided case rack.

I do need to do a quick trip to the hardware store to get longer bolts, especially on the front holes as I am not comfortable with the amount of thread left to actually attach to the frame.  Scared that if I torque it down it will just pop the hole.

I've installed racks before.. given these are both from the same company.. I was expecting a bit better on the fitment... and some guidance as to how 'both' should be installed together.

I have the OEM rear as well, how did you do your spacers? I just assumed I would have to do some custom spacers to get it right.

BTW, I emailed Shad USA over a week ago (5/22) and no response to mounting with OEM rear rack or getting me the correct hardware.

I wonder if we'd have better luck dealing directly with Shad (in Spain). Shad USA is definitely coming up short. :-(

• Premium Member
I have the OEM rear as well, how did you do your spacers? I just assumed I would have to do some custom spacers to get it right.
Rack%201.jpg Rack%202.jpg
Rack%203.jpg
Rack%204.jpg

Thank you much Bob, for posting those photos. That is exactly how I did mine. Since the top of the brackets stick out further with the extra spacing it changed the angle that it bolts to the passenger peg mount. Did you have that problem as well?

You can see it in this photo:
Uh9RkbN.jpg

• Premium Member
Thank you much Bob, for posting those photos. That is exactly how I did mine. Since the top of the brackets stick out further with the extra spacing it changed the angle that it bolts to the passenger peg mount. Did you have that problem as well?
You're welcome. I didn't have any issues. The angle was a little off, but it didn't prevent the holes from lining up and the bolts went right into the passenger footpeg brackets without a problem. I added dab of blue locktite to the threads since I couldn't get as much tightening torque as I would have liked with the little allen wrench I was using.

Archived