Intake valve measurements

FJ29ER

Doing my valve adjustment at 20k and it has been kind of a PITA. But all the intakes measured at .152. So a little snug. Except 1.. the closest one to the cam measured a snug .102.

Question..Any theories as to why that one was tighter? Maybe just a fluke from the factory. I put a 185 in it and it is a loose .203 so I might put a 190 in. And.... Would you adjust the other ones? My math measured to do 190 but the kit only came 3 so that will be a pain finding 2 singles.

Thermal warpage is anything but linear and intuitive. 1 valve being largely out of spec while others are decent isn't terribly uncommon. If you're pulling the cam, go ahead and adjust anything that's close. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

57 minutes ago, koth442 said:

Thermal warpage is anything but linear and intuitive. 1 valve being largely out of spec while others are decent isn't terribly uncommon. If you're pulling the cam, go ahead and adjust anything that's close. 

Thanks. Almost was putting valve cover back on before I started thinking I should adjust em. Just I needed 5 x  1.90 and kit only has 3..But found out my dad has the same kit so I am going to steal some from him. Thanks for the reassurance

Edited by FJ29ER
  • Thumbsup 1

On 10/2/2019 at 9:03 AM, FJ29ER said:

Doing my valve adjustment at 20k and it has been kind of a PITA. But all the intakes measured at .152. So a little snug. Except 1.. the closest one to the cam measured a snug .102.

Question..Any theories as to why that one was tighter? Maybe just a fluke from the factory. I put a 185 in it and it is a loose .203 so I might put a 190 in. And.... Would you adjust the other ones? My math measured to do 190 but the kit only came 3 so that will be a pain finding 2 singles.

If you are adjusting one, adjust them all. 

It’s just the way your engine is wearing. All are different  

I wouldn’t worry about shimming any valves that are still in spec - you can try but may not get the results you are looking for. Depending on the “drag” of the feeler gauge, changing the shim size by one step (from 195 to a 190) may now make those clearances too loose. 

You'll see when you put it back together and recheck the clearances if you’ve made the right choice. 

Normally if they’re in the middle of the spec, leaving them alone is best. There’s an acceptable range for a reason.

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

On 10/3/2019 at 7:10 AM, skipperT said:

It’s just the way your engine is wearing. All are different  

I wouldn’t worry about shimming any valves that are still in spec - you can try but may not get the results you are looking for. Depending on the “drag” of the feeler gauge, changing the shim size by one step (from 195 to a 190) may now make those clearances too loose. 

You'll see when you put it back together and recheck the clearances if you’ve made the right choice. 

Normally if they’re in the middle of the spec, leaving them alone is best. There’s an acceptable range for a reason.

-Skip

After thinking for a few I took your advise and left the the intakes alone. Just tightened up the one and brought them all to a snug .152. I will re check in 10k and maybe intakes might need an adjust. I was surprised that I am only at 18,758k miles and some exhaust were in the high teens and some low 20's. Glad I did not wait until the recommended time . Got the Ape tensioner and she purs like a kitten. Runs/pulls way smoother as well.  Except when idling in neutral. Clutch makes such a racket.

• Thumbsup 3