Surging 15 fj09

com3

Anyone ever have surging issues? 

When romping around, several times per ride lately, I'll go to 0% throttle and I'll get a small hiccup that surges forward a little bit. 

I've also noticed that I'll pull over, clutch in, and I'll have a high idle at times as well too...sitting around 2k rpm. 

Once, about a week ago, I went from 0% throttle to 5% throttle and it almost felt as if the engine died for about 1 second before responding to my throttle input. 

Thoughts? 

46 minutes ago, koth442 said:

Time to flash the ECU?

Throttle body sync?

Valves in spec?

valves and throttle body synch done recently. it was surging before and after.  

• Supporting Member

Vacuum leak on the TB somewhere maybe? Recall someone on here having an issue like this some time ago... think it was a bad O2 sensor upsetting the AFR. Throttle returning to home position with a snap?

Good luck hunting this down.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Twisted breather hose?  I had that similar problem- I should have noticed the "airbox" whine noise but definitely noticed it when I untwisted the breather hose....

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

17 hours ago, com3 said:

valves and throttle body synch done recently. it was surging before and after.  

So adjusting the valves and doing the sync didn’t make the bike run any differently?

any trouble codes? New tank of gas?

Norcal’s suggestion is good too - you can use a flashlight from the LH side to inspect the breather line. While you’re viewing the breather check to make sure the TB is inserted ALL THE WAY into the intake boots (BTSeenThat)

Fuel tank vent lines pinched? They should be clamped lightly just in front of the chain area. 

Have you tweaked the APS sensor adjustments or are they stock? How many miles on the bike? What year? Check engine light ever come on?

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

• 2 weeks later...

no trouble codes. it's done it for at least 20 tanks of fuel.  i'll check the hoses when i get a chance...  the tank had NEVER been off prior to when it started doing it... the tank has since been off twice since it started surging.

38K miles, 2015.

Ugh, good luck, these things can be so pesky!  I had something similar on my BMW; I couldn’t find anything, mechanic couldn’t find anything, yet we could all experience it. I had given up until someone suggested some sort of voodoo trick, which fixed it right away. 

The trick FWIW was this: with the ignition on, but not running, open the throttle all the way, then close it, and repeat it five times. Then turn off the ignition, wait 30 seconds, and start the bike as normal.  Fired right up and the surging was gone for good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
49 minutes ago, maximo said:

I had given up until someone suggested some sort of voodoo trick, which fixed it right away. 

The trick FWIW was this: with the ignition on, but not running, open the throttle all the way, then close it, and repeat it five times. Then turn off the ignition, wait 30 seconds, and start the bike as normal.  Fired right up and the surging was gone for good.

Voodoo magic indeed. Glad the issue went away. 👍🏻

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

19 hours ago, com3 said:

no trouble codes. it's done it for at least 20 tanks of fuel.  i'll check the hoses when i get a chance...  the tank had NEVER been off prior to when it started doing it... the tank has since been off twice since it started surging.

38K miles, 2015.

Were the spark plugs replaced?

Were the cams removed for valve adjustment?

-Skip

• 8 months later...
17 hours ago, Patch Kit said:

com3, did you ever figure this out? Mine has a similar issue, I believe, at 14k miles. About to check the plugs, sync TBs, check O2 sensor, and all lines.

negative.  after adjusting the APS manually, it seems to be much more intermittent now... the issue comes and goes as it pleases....i just ride around it. haha.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/16/2019 at 4:26 PM, maximo said:

Ugh, good luck, these things can be so pesky!  I had something similar on my BMW; I couldn’t find anything, mechanic couldn’t find anything, yet we could all experience it. I had given up until someone suggested some sort of voodoo trick, which fixed it right away. 

Just saw this. Is this a "Hey try this" or an actual reset from yamaha?