Dirt Track Handlebars on a 2016 FJ-09

Just installed a pair of Pro Taper EVO Dirt Track handlebars and LOVE IT. In my younger days I was a dirt track rider here in Canada and still have that riding posture and feeling. I always felt the stock bars were too flat for my liking. I tried a pair of Renthal bars last year with the mounting area risers, but still wasn't quite happy. Decided to order these bars and I am delighted with the results. I did need to do a major re-routing of cables and brake lines, but was able to make everything fit properly. I did cut 1" per side off the dirt track bars and threaded the ends to accept the stock bar ends. I now sit properly in the new Terry Adcox seat I bought last year. Comfort for my personal size and weight is now optimized. 

rear.jpg

bars.jpg

clamp.jpg

front.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Hey @WindsorPhil. This bar would work great without any risers in place... but I can't get over a couple of dimensions... massive length of 902mm, and clamp down area of just 122mm.

• Are the photos showing the bar reduced by 25mm each side? OE length is 770mm.
  • Did the bar mount cleanly to the clamp? I think we're 130mm between outside edges.

dirttrack.thumb.PNG.05476a92d557e95645f52081b8ba3997.PNG

Thanks!

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

The bars mounted perfect without risers. I did shorten each end by about 35mm. Had to re-route some cables but it works great. You definitely sit back in the seat now with a slight bend in the elbows. The stock guards are ugly, especially when the bars pull back so much. I did change to Barkbuster Storm handguards with the single point mount for Yamaha's. Looks and feels great!

And yes, they are wide but feel great to me. Being this wide you have a lot of leverage. Easier to hold steady on rough roads and the bike does feel lighter. 

bars.jpg

front view.jpg

closeup.jpg

end bar.jpg

end clamp.jpg

Edited by WindsorPhil
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Hmmm, I tried lower bars but they didn't have enough sweep and eventually too low for my poor back so I went back to stock.  I'll have to check my file for the OEM dimensions and a half dozen other bars I evaluated but are these bar's rise comparable to stock but with significantly more sweep?  I also.like the N

I also like your Barkbusters because they don't take up bar space like my KTMs, which are otherwise great.

• Premium Member

Is this the kit you installed and if so, how is it's wind protection?

Did you need the below adapters and it looks like you added spacers inboard of the BB bar end piece?

Thanks

On 11/23/2019 at 12:01 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Is this the kit you installed and if so, how is it's wind protection?

Did you need the below adapters and it looks like you added spacers inboard of the BB bar end piece?

Thanks

Yes, I did buy those and they fit perfect!