Engine med RX

• Supporting Member

Good quality fuel, well tuned engine, and some basic regular maintenance is all you need to keep the motor healthy. Not surprised that the guy who sells the stuff would endorse it. Snake oil... shelves are full of this stuff.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

So is ethanol a good thing or a bad thing?  Let’s forget about the corrosive effects before it gets to your engine but once ethanol gets into your engine it should burn cleaner than non ethanol gas.  Are we doing ourselves a service or disservice by running non ethanol fuel in bikes that are designed to run 10% ethanol?  I always run non ethanol fuel close to home where it’s readily available (must be better right?) but use whatever I can get when I’m on long distance rides.  Honestly I don’t think the bike or I notice any difference. The only time I would say non ethanol fuel is a big plus is when you’re storing the bike for the winter.

3 hours ago, donk said:

So is ethanol a good thing or a bad thing?  Let’s forget about the corrosive effects before it gets to your engine but once ethanol gets into your engine it should burn cleaner than non ethanol gas.  Are we doing ourselves a service or disservice by running non ethanol fuel in bikes that are designed to run 10% ethanol?  I always run non ethanol fuel close to home where it’s readily available (must be better right?) but use whatever I can get when I’m on long distance rides.  Honestly I don’t think the bike or I notice any difference. The only time I would say non ethanol fuel is a big plus is when you’re storing the bike for the winter.

What makes you think ethanol burns cleaner once it's in your engine? 

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, donk said:

So is ethanol a good thing or a bad thing?..

Modern engines have absolutely no problem with E10. It is claimed to be a cleaner burning fuel, but it comes at a slightly compromised efficiency/performance. There are countless articles and opinions with alarmist claims, but I run E10 in all my vehicles... just because it is easier to source, with zero issues. My lawn mower, power washer and motorcycle are in dormant state for upward to 4-5 months a year (apparently a no-no)... and start like champions on first try each spring.

Gasket and seal materials in older vehicles (pre-2000 I think) are supposedly susceptible to damage when exposed to E10 fuel.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 10/12/2019 at 5:01 PM, piotrek said:

Good quality fuel, well tuned engine, and some basic regular maintenance is all you need to keep the motor healthy. Not surprised that the guy who sells the stuff would endorse it. Snake oil... shelves are full of this stuff.

AMEN! I will just keep doing what I do. Pretty religious on taking care of it. But all in all...an extra $2 every fill up in the grand scheme of things wont hurt if I continue to use it.