FJ09 air flow and wet riding

• Premium Member

The aerodynamics on the FJ are strange, and they're getting me wetter in rain riding.

I've noticed that in steady rain, large water droplets move upward between me and the tank. If I crack my visor, rain comes in through the crack. 

Today I was trying out my new Klim jacket. The main part of the jacket stayed dry, but enough water wicked around the waist that my wallet in a hand pocket got damp. I think it's after from around the legs pulled upward. 

Any ideas how to block this air/water flow?

Also the mirrors sit above my hands. While my larger Givi handguards provide protection from forward rain, water steadily drips off my mirrors on to my hands!

The Tracer screen is the single biggest gripe on this forum. It is absolutely useless and since it directs wind directly on to the visor opening, you obviously get water entering it. The only way to completely eliminate it is by using a shower door for a screen. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Following. I have similar issues with the large National Cycle V-Stream shield. 

I suspect that a lot of air is coming around the sides of the headlight assembly to the rider. I wonder if some strategically placed side deflectors like these Super Tenere units would help:

71BrH9fbuoL._SL1280_.jpg

• Premium Member

I agree that the screen is the largest influence on your problem. My large CalSci screen does not allow water to blow up onto my visor like you reported. 

Regarding dripping from the mirrors: you can rotate the stalks forward.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, keithu said:

Following. I have similar issues with the large National Cycle V-Stream shield. 

I suspect that a lot of air is coming around the sides of the headlight assembly to the rider. I wonder if some strategically placed side deflectors like these Super Tenere units would help:

71BrH9fbuoL._SL1280_.jpg

Givi offered something like these maybe 2 years ago but they're not listed anymore