New Rider in Lansing, Michigan

ecoker21

Hello All:

I just traded in my KLR 650 and picked up a 2016 FJ-09.  Really love the bike.  Looking into suspension mods as next upgrade, but that wont be for a while.  Anyone have suspension suggestions? 

• Like 1

wow, swapping The Anvil for an FJ-09 will require you to strengthen your shoulders, since this bike will want to rip your arms off as it takes off!  -) 

• Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, ecoker21 said:

Hello All:

I just traded in my KLR 650 and picked up a 2016 FJ-09.  Really love the bike.  Looking into suspension mods as next upgrade, but that wont be for a while.  Anyone have suspension suggestions? 

Congratulations on the new bike and getting the suspension sorted.  Many members here use and praise KTech. Razor R shock and drop in cartridges!  I got my Penske built through Traxxion Dynamics and LOVE it. 😎

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

i also have a penske that was ordered for my style of riding and it works well for me over the stock shock.  i had the race tech gold valves put in my front forks and also work well for me...i push it a bet here and there and seems like i can't outride the suspension.  but all the suspension in the world won't help the stock tires if you still have them on.  

congrats on the new bike! @ecoker21

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stumpy said:

i also have a penske that was ordered for my style of riding and it works well for me over the stock shock.  i had the race tech gold valves put in my front forks and also work well for me...i push it a bet here and there and seems like i can't outride the suspension.  but all the suspension in the world won't help the stock tires if you still have them on.  

congrats on the new bike! @ecoker21

Thanks, the bike came with Angel GTs front and back, so I think Im good on tires.  The bike feels more agile compared to my KLR (a low bar I admit), so I guess I'll need more time to find out the best upgrade.  Always good to see how others upgraded their bikes though.  

Welcome fellow Michigander... Stock suspension is okay(ish) if one is under 170# suited- I know the roads around grand rapids got repaved vs last 2yrs, so they are smooth by our standards...the suspension is okay but could be better- I got ktech rear shock on drop in fork parts on my wish list... Kinda sucks the last 4-5wks now have been nothing but rain and double whammy of a Nor'easter which is eating into my last few weeks of riding season...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I got ktech rear shock on drop in fork parts on my wish list... Kinda sucks the last 4-5wks now have been nothing but rain and double whammy of a Nor'easter which is eating into my last few weeks of riding season...

Rainy season is the PERFECT time for a suspension upgrade!  👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 minute ago, betoney said:

Rainy season is the PERFECT time for a suspension upgrade!  👍

I agree, but funds for the wish list have been somewhat lacking... Life 🙄

• Like 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Hello ecoker21, I'm also in LA (Lansing Area) but way passed 21. Great people onboard here. Never had to upgrade suspension on my 2015 FJ just found a GT last March and like it just the way it is.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:44 PM, ecoker21 said:

Thanks, the bike came with Angel GTs front and back, so I think Im good on tires.  The bike feels more agile compared to my KLR (a low bar I admit), so I guess I'll need more time to find out the best upgrade.  Always good to see how others upgraded their bikes though.  

the same tires i have.  you will like them. quality skins.