Jump to content
iamthedruman

Not new but finally an owner!

Recommended Posts

After lusting for an FJ-09 over the last several years, I finally picked up a low-mileage 2015 in Deep Red Metallic with 8,000 km. Came with the hard bags and touring screen.

It's replacing a 2008 Buell Ulysses which is just too tall for me (I'm 5'8" and I just can't flat-foot it) plus finding replacement parts is becoming challenging.

Here are a few pics of 'Garnet' with his little sister, Ruby (wifey's bike):

IMG_20191019_123604.jpg

IMG_20191019_132905.jpg

  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, iamthedruman said:

After lusting for an FJ-09 over the last several years, I finally picked up a low-mileage 2015 in Deep Red Metallic with 8,000 km. Came with the hard bags and touring screen.

It's replacing a 2008 Buell Ulysses which is just too tall for me (I'm 5'8" and I just can't flat-foot it)

Congratulations on the new bike, the SHAD bags are a nice addition. 

Even with the seat in the lowest position, the FJ seat height is actually taller than the Buell or did the FJ come with lowering links?

There is a lot of good info on this site to help get your bike set up exactly how you want it.


***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Not even close. Ulysses is an XB12X. Maybe you're thinking the XT, which is about the same height as an FJ. Think an extra 2.5 inches. I can flat-foot the FJ (seat in the low position, love it!) whereas on the Uly, I'm on my tiptoes and even then, need to lean the bike which is an uncomfortable sensation on a 550+ lb bike. I really appreciate the lesser weight, narrower profile, and lower seat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, iamthedruman said:

No. Not even close. Ulysses is an XB12X. Maybe you're thinking the XT, which is about the same height as an FJ. Think an extra 2.5 inches. I can flat-foot the FJ (seat in the low position, love it!) whereas on the Uly, I'm on my tiptoes and even then, need to lean the bike which is an uncomfortable sensation on a 550+ lb bike. I really appreciate the lesser weight, narrower profile, and lower seat!

I'll take your word for it, I was just going by the bikes listed specs.

Specs at a Glance
Buell Ulysses XB12X
Displacement: 1203cc
Seat Height: 2006 33.1 inches; 2007 31.8 inches
Fuel Capacity: 4.4 gallons
Dry Weight: 425 pounds
Colors: Barricade Orange, Black
Price: $11,495


***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats! 

A very nice bike with a very nice colour. 

That windshield though.....I bet it is mega effective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two very different bikes...I had a Ully and yes, very tall, one foot down for me 5.10. Good fun but a bit too much character for me, stranded on the side of the road once too often. 

The Tracer is a modern reliable bike that can be relied on. Far superior in all areas, except maybe character.  🤔🤔

20160528_133557.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheBigG said:

Congrats! 

A very nice bike with a very nice colour. 

That windshield though.....I bet it is mega effective. 

It's my beaver tail... 😅😅😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Two very different bikes...I had a Ully and yes, very tall, one foot down for me 5.10. Good fun but a bit too much character for me, stranded on the side of the road once too often. 

The Tracer is a modern reliable bike that can be relied on. Far superior in all areas, except maybe character.  🤔🤔

20160528_133557.jpg

Well said. Lotsa character. Gobs of torque. I've been stranded a couple of times now and the wifey said enough's enough. Here's mine, up for sale at the moment:

 

Buell Uly.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, iamthedruman said:

Here's mine, up for sale at the moment:

Buell Uly.jpg

Where are you located?   I might have an interested buyer if you’re ‘geographically desirable’.  The fact that you measure distances in km suggests you’re not especially close to southeast Texas, alas...  

EDIT:  Never mind.  Your profile clearly says Ottawa, Ontario.  Good luck with the sale, however.  The Ulysses seems to have a pretty healthy following, so I doubt you'll have much trouble finding a buyer.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!  We look forward to your participation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, betoney said:

I'll take your word for it, I was just going by the bikes listed specs.

Specs at a Glance
Buell Ulysses XB12X
Displacement: 1203cc
Seat Height: 2006 33.1 inches; 2007 31.8 inches
Fuel Capacity: 4.4 gallons
Dry Weight: 425 pounds
Colors: Barricade Orange, Black
Price: $11,495

Interesting. I'd say the seat heights are inaccurate but the rest are pretty close. Funny though, after googling a bunch, the height you specced comes up frequently but for Cycle Ergo and my own butt experience (I took over the Uly from a VFR800, 2002 and it's around a 32 inch seat height).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×