Adding Aluminum Engine Bolt Kit - Need Some Advice

coachluciano

• Premium Member

Saw R1 with an aluminum engine bolt kit (in glowing blue) and immediately needed to have one on my FJ.  They just arrived from Italy today.  I'm going to sound ignorant here, but do I need to lube these?  is so what kind? And i'm assuming the torque specs are different??  Any idea what they would change to?  Any advice here would be much appreciated.

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

That’s actually a very good question. What type of head do the bolts have?

Newer R1’s use a lightweight 1-time use bolt on the case covers that get torqued to 2 ft lbs plus 90 degrees. They take a 12 point 8 or 10mm socket IIRC. 

If the kit you ordered are special, light weight bolts use the above instructions. 
otherwise, use 7.2-8.7 ft lbs as a guide. 

-Skip. 

• Premium Member

Kit came from Valter Moto (was not cheap - and yes, light as hell) - 6 point 5/16ths - odd not metric???

Bolts.jpg.2f26889f2de7a7701ae6cc403972c460.jpg

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member

Not sure why the image stomped on the text. 6pt 5/16.  Something tells me 2lbs is too light so will stick with the 7-8 reference.  Should I lucubrate them before torquing down?

9 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

Not sure why the image stomped on the text. 6pt 5/16.  Something tells me 2lbs is too light so will stick with the 7-8 reference.  Should I lucubrate them before torquing down?

Adding any fluid to a fastener allegedly alters the torque value due to the little gaps in the thread now being full of non-compressible fluid. 

• Like 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 hour ago, coachluciano said:

I fixed it for you.

'15 FJ09

10 hours ago, coachluciano said:

Remember it’s 2 ft/lbs PLUS 90 degrees of rotation. The 90 degrees ”stretches” the threads, hence why they are one-time use. (Factory bolts for R1)

I’d carefully try 7.2 and see how it feels. If it doesn’t develop a “stretchy” I’m-about-ready-to-snap feeling while tightening, then go for 8.7 and call it. 

no loctite and no lube necessary. 
that said, a very small dab of blue never hurt anything (if it helps you sleep at night...) 😉
-S

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 2

10 hours ago, coachluciano said:

Kit came from Valter Moto (was not cheap - and yes, light as hell) - 6 point 5/16ths - odd not metric???

Bolts.jpg.2f26889f2de7a7701ae6cc403972c460.jpg

5/16ths is 8mm, the plus 90 degrees as Skip said is where the torque comes from. I personally wouldn’t go higher than 6 foot pounds on the alloy bolts. Torquing anything alloy gives me anxiety...! 😂

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1