What is the average life of sprockets?

alquimista

Hi 

My FJ-09 2016 just turned 25000 kms this weekend. I just saw the rear sprocket and the possible need for change. Wear signs are already there. How long a rear sprocket last in kms? I had a tenere xt660z for 4 years, and sprockets were still well at 25000 kms 

• Premium Member

Usual rule of thumb I've heard is anywhere from 16,000 km of hard use to 32,000 km of careful maintenance.

The XT makes less than half the hp of the FJ using a 520 chain.  So it's a little narrower than the FJ.  When I was trying to figure out chain width, I saw people reporting 25,000 km or less on their XT chains.

You might just take better care of your chains than most of us.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

@alquimista - In my experience, its not so much sprocket wear as it is chain wear.  I replace chain and sprockets as a set, I have yet to have a sprocket show noticeable wear or develop hooked teeth like my dirt bikes, its always the chain.  Usually the chain starts needing more and more adjustment and develops tight links that produce an annoying slapping action. 

I am on my 3rd chain/sprocket sets on my FJ and have replaced them around 18k miles. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

I am on my 3rd chain/sprocket sets on my FJ and have replaced them around 18k miles. 

I appear to be on the same replacement schedule...  a bit over 16k miles (approx 25,000 km) now, and the original chain is starting to make some noise.    

I’m probably middle-of-the-pack with my chain maintenance routine:   Not fanatic, but I don’t totally ignore it, either.   

• Thumbsup 1

As @koth442 said above...

If you take chains to the end of their life, you'll need to do sprockets often.  If you swap your chains out earlier, *before* they're really shot, then your sprockets will last a very long time.  Sprockets suffer virtually no wear from a well adjusted, good chain.  Sprockets wear very quickly once the chain is shot, though, and of course a worn sprocket will wear a chain quickly.  

I've always maintained my chains pretty fanatically, and replaced them early (as soon as links start to get stiff) and as a result virtually never need to replace sprockets.  My MT07 saw 20k of very hard riding (including a salty Calgary winter) and it's sprockets where like new still, though I swapped out my chain at 13k.  

So, ultimately, it just depends on the chain.  Keep your chain good, and replace it once it's no longer perfect, and your sprockets will last pretty much forever.

• Thumbsup 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Due to being a woos :) , my mates chain riveting tool being a little bit cruder than I had imagined, scary youtube videos about over tight rivet links crushing the X-rings, and the final straw being another mate reckoning my sprockets were shot after all, I threw the towel in and went to my local garage and got them to do a complete change.

Front/gearbox and rear sprockets from JT, including a rubber cushion front/gearbox sprocket.

The original OE set had just done 13k5, living outside and probably only moderate maintenance, so I reckon I'll be good for another 20k+ miles with regular lubing and occasional cleaning.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...

My rule of thumb - front sprocket travels  4 times the chain distance of the rear sprocket. If rear sprocket is showing signs of wear then in all likelihood  the front sprocket is shot. Easy enough to drop the front cover off to check.

I always check the chain after a service as there are still some monkeys out there setting to 15mm of slack.

Chain, Did you know the distance between center of 16 pins on your chain is a maximum of 239.3 mm (9.42 in). if it is greater than that, time to replace. 

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

My first rear sprocket replacement was yesterday at 36K miles. It was the third replacement for the chain and front sprocket. 

As the photo shows, the teeth are noticeably worn at 36K but not badly.

P1050189-teeth.thumb.jpg.9581299f6020a68a4eab8b508fc64e7a.jpg

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, estell said:

My first rear sprocket replacement was yesterday at 36K miles. It was the third replacement for the chain and front sprocket. 

As the photo shows, the teeth are noticeably worn at 36K but not badly.

P1050189-teeth.thumb.jpg.9581299f6020a68a4eab8b508fc64e7a.jpg

I have used black sprockets exclusively over the years and have never seen wear like that.  Maybe the photo is misleading but that looks like abnormal wear, not the teeth shape but the non-uniform silver grinding on the sides of the teeth.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

I have used black sprockets exclusively over the years and have never seen wear like that.  Maybe the photo is misleading but that looks like abnormal wear, not the teeth shape but the non-uniform silver grinding on the sides of the teeth.

I'm with you here.   I'm thinking it's a wheel alignment issue.