BAGSTER seats for GT: here's proof they exist!

wordsmith

Thanks Wordsmith for your helpful reply.  I hope you recover from the bursitis quickly.  It's a bitch getting older isn't it.  Seat comfort becomes a lot more important and daily mileages harder.   Just when you've got the time and hopefully the money to go on more trips, your body has other ideas.  At 75, when I travel any distance I rely on anti-inflammatories and pain killers to get me by.  All connected with worn out vertebrae probably not helped if not caused by racing crashes.  Unfortunately, after an estimated 560,000 miles together on the road, my wife is no longer able to ride due to knee problems but I ain't ready to quit yet hence the new Tracer.

I've done more research now and found a European site that was more helpful (and a bit cheaper).  I have asked to buy just the rider seat as I don't carry a passenger (see above!) providing it fits with the factory back seat.  It looks like it will.  Otherwise, I'll just have to make my non-existent passenger more comfortable!

Best wishes for future riding.

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, OLD DVB said:

Thanks Wordsmith for your helpful reply.  I hope you recover from the bursitis quickly.  It's a bitch getting older isn't it.  Seat comfort becomes a lot more important and daily mileages harder.   Just when you've got the time and hopefully the money to go on more trips, your body has other ideas.  At 75, when I travel any distance I rely on anti-inflammatories and pain killers to get me by.  All connected with worn out vertebrae probably not helped if not caused by racing crashes.  Unfortunately, after an estimated 560,000 miles together on the road, my wife is no longer able to ride due to knee problems but I ain't ready to quit yet hence the new Tracer.

I've done more research now and found a European site that was more helpful (and a bit cheaper).  I have asked to buy just the rider seat as I don't carry a passenger (see above!) providing it fits with the factory back seat.  It looks like it will.  Otherwise, I'll just have to make my non-existent passenger more comfortable!

Thanks, Old DVB.   Reassuring in a way.   I'll be seeing my excellent family GP on Friday and intend to ask for a referral to have another of those injections, as anti-inflammatories and other OTC analgesics have unfortunate side-effects with me.     I know from several other past treatments it will work well, but also that anything in the future that involves more than (say) a cuppla hours or a cuppla hundred consecutive km on the bike will make it flare-up again, so that will clearly put paid to any longer outings I may have wanted to do.   Still - been there, done that in spades, and let's get Friday's consultation with my GP done first. 

May I make an observation on the seat issue - if 'twere me (and it's not of course!) I would spring the extra dollars for the rear seat, even if never to be used by you, as it will come into its own when time comes to sell, swap, trade, whatever, the bike.

Finally, congrats and kudos on the 560,000 miles achievement - I have no idea what distance I may have travelled, but only a fraction of that.   I dips me lid!   Good luck with the new perch, and I look forward to your comments on it.   

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

16 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Thanks, Old DVB.   Reassuring in a way.   I'll be seeing my excellent family GP on Friday and intend to ask for a referral to have another of those injections, as anti-inflammatories and other OTC analgesics have unfortunate side-effects with me.     I know from several other past treatments it will work well, but also that anything in the future that involves more than (say) a cuppla hours or a cuppla hundred consecutive km on the bike will make it flare-up again, so that will clearly put paid to any longer outings I may have wanted to do.   Still - been there, done that in spades, and let's get Friday's consultation with my GP done first. 

May I make an observation on the seat issue - if 'twere me (and it's not of course!) I would spring the extra dollars for the rear seat, even if never to be used by you, as it will come into its own when time comes to sell, swap, trade, whatever, the bike.

Finally, congrats and kudos on the 560,000 miles achievement - I have no idea what distance I may have travelled, but only a fraction of that.   I dips me lid!   Good luck with the new perch, and I look forward to your comments on it.   

I think I'll take your advice and shell out for the full two seats.  Sorry to hear that your long distance trips may be a thing of the past.  I can't contemplate the day when I can't ride any more; it is so much a part of my identity as I am sure it is for so many others out there.  Motorcycling gets you that way - it's completely addictive even when it's sometimes not a good idea.  Like racing; it's expensive, often frustrating and always dangerous but it took me 22 years to find out how not to do it.  Actually I can't even take that much credit.  My long suffering wife explained that I didn't do it any more as I lay in one more hospital bed.

The irony with my vast road mileage is that I've never had an accident (a scary thought if you're superstitious) - I don't count toppling off when I missed my footing parking or doing the same at 5mph doing a U-turn in front of 2000 people in a grandstand at the IOM TT.  To add to the shame I received a rousing cheer!

2 hours ago, OLD DVB said:

To add to the shame I received a rousing cheer!

Ha ha ha!😁

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

On 11/4/2019 at 9:14 AM, OLD DVB said:

Hi all, OLD DVB, which site did you use ??

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:04 PM, OLDESTP said:

Hi all, OLD DVB, which site did you use ??

French company called Silverstone.  The link is below.  For whatever reason, the smartarse bulletin software won't let me just put in the weblink in text but insists on creating picture link.  Just right click on the picture and select "open".  The site is in English but some of the drop down menus are in French. The luxury padding is called Bultex.  Anything else, use Google translate.  All in, the seat, with Bultex padding, cost me £247 compared with UK prices of £320-340 with standard padding.  Quite a saving.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

After some decent mileage - my final update on the Bagster seats

Does the front seat fit with the OEM rear?  Maybe if you removed the chrome trim off the front of the rear seat but then you'd have a hole so no - not really.  Seems like they don't want to sell just the front anyway.

Does it cure the traditional Yamaha forward slope strain on the wedding tackle?  Yes - about 70%.  The spine of the seat is slightly raised and therefore more level just as Wordsmith's original photos implied.  It isn't the complete cure that my ghastly looking upward sloping homemade foam overlay was but I can live with 70% just for its better looks.

Is the sitting more comfortable?  Oh yes!  The Bultex foam option I chose (extra charge but while I was paying for a new seat, what the hell?) is very forgiving and feels ready for an epic trip or two.  I suspect even that will improve a bit as the seat cover relaxes slightly with use.  I could have added gel but I've tried gel in the past and was very disappointed.  Gel felt plain hard.  I believe it is supposed to mould itself to you but mine never seemed to.

Is it worth the money?  Nothing for a bike is ever cheap, especially Bagster products, but I'm very pleased with my purchase which does exactly what it says on the tin and looks good too.  There may be other better seats out there but how the hell do you find out except by trial (not possible) or recommendation.  I recommend it. Over to you.

Edited by OLD DVB
typo
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Supporting Member

Your comments on the Bagster seat are welcome. I ordered my one a week ago,and opted for Bultex foam. Should get it mid December.👍

Kenny.

5 hours ago, OLD DVB said:

Does the front seat fit with the OEM rear?  Maybe if you removed the chrome trim off the front of the rear seat but then you'd have a hole so no - not really.  Seems like they don't want to sell just the front anyway.

Does it cure the traditional Yamaha forward slope strain on the wedding tackle?  Yes - about 70%.  The spine of the seat is slightly raised and therefore more level just as Wordsmith's original photos implied.  It isn't the complete cure that my ghastly looking upward sloping homemade foam overlay was but I can live with 70% just for its better looks.

Is the sitting more comfortable?  Oh yes!  The Bultex foam option I chose (extra charge but while I was paying for a new seat, what the hell?) is very forgiving and feels ready for an epic trip or two.  I suspect even that will improve a bit as the seat cover relaxes slightly with use.  I could have added gel but I've tried gel in the past and was very disappointed.  Gel felt plain hard.  I believe it is supposed to mould itself to you but mine never seemed to.

Is it worth the money?  Nothing for a bike is ever cheap, especially Bagster products, but I'm very pleased with my purchase which does exactly what it says on the tin and looks good too.  There may be other better seats out there but how the hell do you find out except by trial (not possible) or recommendation.  I recommend it. Over to you.

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, OLD DVB said:

Hi OLD DVB, thanks for posting the link and the follow up review. I have just placed an order with Silverstone, bultex foam and stiching in blue. They are still running the 10% discount offer and the cost including shipping to the UK was £245.00 Delivery expected towards the end of January.

Cheers, CP

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, Crossplane Pilot said:

Hi OLD DVB, thanks for posting the link and the follow up review. I have just placed an order with Silverstone, bultex foam and stiching in blue. They are still running the 10% discount offer and the cost including shipping to the UK was £245.00 Delivery expected towards the end of January.

Cheers, CP

When you placed your order, you were given a delivery time frame? I visit France often and would like to order a set for delivery to my French address but want to time it right. 

15 hours ago, mingo said:

When you placed your order, you were given a delivery time frame? I visit France often and would like to order a set for delivery to my French address but want to time it right. 

Hi Mingo, when I was selecting my options for the on-line order form a message popped up stating that the seat was currently out of stock but that a delivery was expected in mid January. I have added a couple of weeks or so to that for the seat to reach my address in the UK. They have an e-mail address and a contact phone number on their website. I have exchanged e-mails with Hugo who speaks english.  Good customer service so far.  CP.

• Thanks 1