Dyno Tune the GT

MartyP

Hi All,

For several reasons I decided not to flash my ECU and taking it in to get dyno tuned. Running full yoshi system, K&N air filter and power commander V. I will post the graph outcomes once I do it. Waiting for an O2 cap to be shipped from overseas.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, MartyP said:

Hi All,

For several reasons I decided not to flash my ECU and taking it in to get dyno tuned. Running full yoshi system, K&N air filter and power commander V.

Curious as to the reasoning behind this?  Yes, a Power Commander and dyno tune ($550-$650-ish) will get you a custom fuel map but why spend more and give up all of the other benefits of a professional flash?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Curious as to the reasoning behind this?  Yes, a Power Commander and dyno tune ($550-$650-ish) will get you a custom fuel map but why spend more and give up all of the other benefits of a professional flash?

My thoughts exactly.  Ivans flash includes a good fuel map and much, much more for a couple hundred less.  

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Ok the reason is kinda by default. I didn't want to flash my ECU and void my warranty with my dealer. I also wanted a new exhaust system. So I changed out the exhaust and airfilter when my buddy said get a power commander since I made these changes. So I got it the bad news is they are not making any maps for the tracer. So now if I wanted to flash the ECU I would have to sell my PC which I don't want to deal with so that's how I got into the dyno tune. What would I be missing vs the dyno tune and a flash? Never had a bike tuned before.

13 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

My thoughts exactly.  Ivans flash includes a good fuel map and much, much more for a couple hundred less.  

I see what you mean now from reading Ivan's page. Heck If the tune is not what I want I can always have it flashed and take the PC out. For now I will give it a try the price of the tune is the same as the price of the flash

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, OLDESTP said:

Has anyone had the ecu flashed on a gt yet ? All of the ecu benefits aside is there any additional power gain with an ecu flash ??

A tune and aftermarket exhaust will put out approx 115-120whp with approx 65TQ(every dyno is a bit different, exhaust brands are close in HP/TQ but slightly different "power curves" and different tuning software can alter the final HP/TQ a tiny bit) ... 

Stock OEM tune is approx 105whp with 60TQ

Just a tune on stock exhaust you probably will see approx 112-115whp with a tiny bump in TQ

• Thanks 1
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

20 minutes ago, betoney said:

@OLDESTP - 2wheeldynoworks usually has a sale every holiday.  Black Friday is coming up in a few weeks.

I forgot about that- also they can bundle the tune with aftermarket exhaust for even more cost savings vs buying  separately... they also have various tuning software to use from FTecu, Woolich, PCV for example for you pick from... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, OLDESTP said:

Has anyone had the ecu flashed on a gt yet ? All of the ecu benefits aside is there any additional power gain with an ecu flash ??

Here ya' go.  On sale through Veterans Day.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I had my bike flashed by Vcyclenut who specializes in FJ 09/ MT 09. I think he's got it figured out as does Ivan. I got a great tuner with a dyno 5 minutes down the road but why spend all that money. For $200 I got all 3 maps and frankly I don't think my local guy would be able to devote enough time to get equal results without spending ridiculous money. The power commander ain't gonna give you more. I wouldn't have even flashed my bike except that after I put an exhaust on it, it felt like it ran flat and Vcyclenut confirmed that is the case. Now it's super ridable with no top speed restrictions.

Edited by Guest

Gotta weigh in here. I've got Ivan's flash and Graves full exhaust. Took my bike to a local shop and had it Dyno'ed to get a look at the the fuel curves and such. Pretty honest dyno operator; has a good rep with the local  Beemer crowd. He's seen a lot of canned flashes. So Ivan's ain't bad- he's seen worse. It's pretty rich, particularly on the bottom- losing a couple of MPGs there ( butt dyno says Yee-haw and she wheelies super easy in standard mode with TC1- but not in sport mode with TC off, although she "seems" a little quicker in sport mode! Subjectivity.)

He said if I needed more ( maybe 2-3 HP) and better mileage have to go with Power commander at this point to dial her in- fuking 'nother $700. However if I'd just gone with the PC, the spark tables would still be stock- screwed up. To get the most you need both- pricey. Or a custom map built with tuning software- canned map ain't custom for your bike.

Seems believable according to the Dyno sheets- matches the riding experience: stumbling and burbling around 3-4k ( Akro has extra bend in pipe) screaming insanity above 7K ( stepped headers on the Graves) 

Another thing 'bout Ivan's flash: it's tuned for a full Akro system ( not a Graves, sigh). If you run a Cat, over time you'll plug it up with that rich of a tune....

Edited by Larz
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1