Brembo Hydraulic Clutch

coachluciano

• Premium Member

Ohh baby. Lines in, DOT fluid in, air bubbles out. And damm, it’s working. I have some tweaking to do, but so far it’s all going together as hoped. Clutch pull is smooth and easier than before. So I have the slipper clutch and best test I was able to conduct was to see if I could pull the clutch in with thumb and index finger, and so on down the finger line. Was able to pull the clutch in with the cable installed with every finger except pinky. Hydraulic clutch, I can pull the lever in with just thumb and pinky. So pull is definitely lighter.

I found a mechanical switch in Germany and I’ll have it tomorrow. That is the only outstanding issues. Clutch switch. I’d just pass it and live with the risks, but my Healtech Quickshifter monitors clutch activity and I think I’d be in for some angst. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

Ohh baby. Lines in, DOT fluid in, air bubbles out. And damm, it’s working.,,,  I can pull the lever in with just thumb and pinky. So pull is definitely lighter.

Glad to hear that it is all functional and working as expected!  👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, betoney said:

Glad to hear that it is all functional and working as expected!  👍

Me too. Lol. $550 litmus test. Real world trials have to wait. Old Man Winter came early to NY. 

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

The clutch switch also plays some form of role in returning the fuel mapping to a base setting when idling. Mine wasn’t quite set up right and wasn’t engaging soon enough and was making the idle rough. Occasionally the motor would stall on fast decelerations. It was also stopping the silly eco light from coming on for some reason.

Edited by Buggy Nate

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, Buggy Nate said:

The clutch switch also plays some form of role in returning the fuel mapping to a base setting when idling. Mine wasn’t quite set up right and wasn’t engaging soon enough and was making the idle rough. Occasionally the motor would stall on fast decelerations. It was also stopping the silly eco light from coming on for some reason.

Interesting. Going to reach out to Ivan’s (my flashed ECU) and ask what specifically he is doing with the clutch switch. The switch is normally closed and interrupts flow when engaged. I’ll definitely keep this mind. Make sure it closes the circuit as soon as I’m truly engaging the clutch. Thanks. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, ilanr1 said:

Hi , can you share the list of parts+prices that you use in this project ?,

I think that I'm going to do that too.

Thanks

Look through this thread... he has posted pictures of every part number and documented every step of the install.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, ilanr1 said:

Hi , can you share the list of parts+prices that you use in this project ?,

I think that I'm going to do that too.

Thanks

Let me get the switch working so the whole solution is complete and I'll put something together.  Sadly enough I have to remove everything to install the switch and I hate working with brake fluid.  I'm too anal about drips and splashes - makes for not-so-nice activity.  Also, forgot to use the Spiegler crush washers on the slave, so get that taken care of at the same time.  I knew I was going to have to disassemble for the switch, but had to make sure it worked before.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Switch arrived today from Germany.  Looks like a fairly simple install.  Just tap a small hole in the lever and bolt-er up.  Way cleaner than a hydraulic switch.

Switch.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Finally got the switch installed. Went smooth and seems to work like a charm, at least with the amp meter.  Got the slave dialed in as well. I’ll upload some videos in a bit. If there went 6 inches of snow on the ground with no end in site, I’d declare this modification complete. Really can’t say that without a few hundred miles on it. 

243A5AE0-1311-4B93-A13F-2F8709C884D4.jpeg

E181CFDC-C493-4EE5-A647-1627C8EFC8C8.jpeg

48635653-A011-47D9-8432-6A0C486A1197.jpeg

D3E50193-8B48-4CB1-B512-9D8AC860E60C.jpeg

99DA06AC-CCAB-41D8-BA20-BEBD0D559563.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

Have to say I imagined the switch mod looking wonky, but now that I see it... nicely done! How do you calibrate the action of the clutch switch... adjusting the lever or the position of the micro-switch itself?

Edited by piotrek
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Nice job but a lot of work and $ for a minimal gain in performance IMO (given the slip/assist clutch is installed)...

Exactly. What most of you don’t recall is this all started when I installed Brembo master cylinder. Of which, multiple gains and then some. But my OCD kicked in and I needed to match it ascetically. So there the journey began. We have many bike nights here in the summer in Rochester NY and for some reason my FJ gets a lot of attention. Meanwhile I’m drooling over all the other bikes. Lol. At least now my FJ is truly custom to some extent. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, piotrek said:

Have to say I imagined the switch mod looking wonky, but now that I see it... nicely done! How do you calibrate the action of the clutch switch... adjusting the lever or the position of the micro-switch itself?

Both actually. But can’t do a final setup until I can ride it. When I upload some video of the slave and the effect of the adjuster you’ll see why I won’t have an  answer. However, the switch plate mounts to the pivot bolt of the Brembo lever and once you have the lever completely adjusted for the clutch you rotate the switch to make contact and you tighten the pivot bolt and set the switch position. Done. (I hope)

• Thumbsup 2