Poor mileage equals problem?

20 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Can't pull up a chart but looking at the numbers there is no pattern. You had a tank at 15 mpg followed by a tank at 50 mpg. That's weird and suggests an environmental problem not a bike problem. Do you always fuel up at the same station or is there a pattern where you fuel up? Maybe bad gas at a particular pump. How long does the bike sit between rides? There's no dates on your chart. 

Sort of half kidding, half not, you should do several multi-tank steady throttle rides (touring not SPORT touring) and see if the mileage settles down to a regular number. 1000 miles in a long weekend could be informative. 

I think the 15 and 50 issue was some dyslexia on my part putting the mileage in!

18 hours ago, Cruizin said:

You want to be damn picky when choosing tuner. Our resident tuner @2wheeldynoworks has to fix alot of "other shops" tunes. Anyone can get the software and start making tunes, that's kinda scary. 

I think I remember that the shop said the tune was for a FZ-09 and that it should be good for my FJ-09. 

In light of what you said, that doesn't sound so good.

What's the best aftermarket tune out there these days?

12 minutes ago, baobei said:

I think I remember that the shop said the tune was for a FZ-09 and that it should be good for my FJ-09. 

In light of what you said, that doesn't sound so good.

What's the best aftermarket tune out there these days?

Our vendor @2wheeldynoworks has a huge section on this very forum. They are the best, very popular in this and most other forums. They can perfectly match a tune to your bike and exhaust and wishes for your machine. 

• Supporting Member

@baobei - You can always call 2wheeldynoworks and ask them about your issue.  Usually Travis answers and he is very knowledgeable and helpful.  They can at least give you some advise and get you started in the correct direction.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My bike is running on a FZ-09 tune from 2WDW using one of the multiple tuning software(Woolich, FTech, PowerCommander and a few others) they have on hand... They created the tune on the "in house" FZ-09 since it had my exhaust choice and flashed it to my ECU... Still going strong after 3.5yrs...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 1 month later...

I got my ECU out and I'm sending it to 2WDW.  Travis thinks a new flash will improve my mileage.  Since I have the bike apart, I also ordered a CarbTune Pro and I'm going to sync my throttle bodies.

I found some oil inside the airbox.  Here's a picture.  Is this normal or indicative of a problem?

FJ09_airbox_closeup_2.JPG

13 hours ago, baobei said:

I got my ECU out and I'm sending it to 2WDW.  Travis thinks a new flash will improve my mileage.  Since I have the bike apart, I also ordered a CarbTune Pro and I'm going to sync my throttle bodies.

I found some oil inside the airbox.  Here's a picture.  Is this normal or indicative of a problem?

FJ09_airbox_closeup_2.JPG

Normal. Wipe it out with a rag and don’t worry about it. The hose leading from the valve cover to the center connector of the air box is the one that gets frequently kinked (the one NorCal was talking about and visible in the Rh side of your picture with a minimal amount of white moisture just below the -TD part number...) theoretically you could pinch the one on the LH side too I guess...

just re-read this exchange, glad that your ECM is getting redone over at TWDW - that will eliminate that side of the equation. 

one more thing to verify - when you fill up, do you “stop at the click” or do you fill the tank till it just burbles up above the metal plate in the filler neck? do you fill always on the center stand?

just making sure your technique is reliable, since the point of your thread is Poor fuel mileage. Stopping at the click usually produces poor numbers for us riders. 

-Skip

There's a couple things I spotted in your comments.

• Your mileage is in the city.
  • The bike is wickedly quick.

City mileage will just tank  your mileage.  Sit in traffic, and your mileage will go down.  Stop for a light or stop sign, and your mileage will go down.

I had a Burgman 400 scooter with a average MPG display.  After a fill up, if I babied it, I'd be up in the 60's on the way home, especially after coasting down the hill to my house.  Of course, the next morning, I had to go back up that same hill.  On the way to the freeway, there were about 4 stop lights.  The MPG would go down to the low 50s and stay there for awhile.  It wasn't till I'd gone about 15 miles at constant freeway speeds that I would see the average MPG start inching up.  In other words, it took at least 15 miles of constant speed riding to make up for those few stop lights and the hill.  

How do you know the bike is wickedly quick?  Oh...I see...you've been twisting the right wrist a lot.  :D  And you didn't think that made a difference?  I think you mentioned the engine cut out...as the front wheel lifted.  And you're surprised that your MPG isn't higher?  ;)  :D 

Chris

Edited by daboo

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, daboo said:

City mileage will just tank  your mileage.  Sit in traffic, and your mileage will go down.  Stop for a light or stop sign, and your mileage will go down.

^^^Very true^^^ 

@baobei - one thing you can try just for a point of reference-  Find a country road or open highway, not necessarily interstate, just somewhere you can cruise at a constant speed.  Reset your FUEL AVG and just cruise at a constant speed, maybe 50-60mph for 10-15 miles, then reset the FUEL AVG and turn around and ride at the same speed again, just to see the results.  What is the fuel reading and is the fuel reading the same both times? 

I would think in top gear cruising at 60mph on flat ground your mileage reading "should" be mid 40's, possibly higher.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 11/5/2019 at 9:00 AM, baobei said:

Most of my miles are in-town.  

IMHO, this fact probably has a lot to do with it.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

39 minutes ago, daboo said:

I had a Burgman 400 scooter with a average MPG display.  After a fill up, if I babied it, I'd be up in the 60's on the way home, especially after coasting down the hill to my house.  Of course, the next morning, I had to go back up that same hill.  On the way to the freeway, there were about 4 stop lights.  The MPG would go down to the low 50s and stay there for awhile.  It wasn't till I'd gone about 15 miles at constant freeway speeds that I would see the average MPG start inching up.  In other words, it took at least 15 miles of constant speed riding to make up for those few stop lights and the hill.  

How do you know the bike is wickedly quick?  Oh...I see...you've been twisting the right wrist a lot.  :D  And you didn't think that made a difference?  I think you mentioned the engine cut out...as the front wheel lifted.  And you're surprised that your MPG isn't higher?  ;)  :D 

Chris

I agree with your assessment. However, I'm puzzled by the following

• This fuelly page has 72 bikes that almost all get better mileage than mine.   Given how fast this bike is, I can't imagine that all 72 of those owners don't take advantage of the power this baby has now and then.

The most accurate Yamaha FJ-09 MPG estimates based on real world...
  • I read a post where an owner was talking about mileage in the 40s somewhere and that he also had his ECU flashed to always start in A mode!  That also doesn't sound like someone who takes things easy when cruising around.