Aprilia RS 660

texscottyd

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

The Tuono 660 is 'supposed' to be released in a few months...

I’m anxiously awaiting the details of the Tuono announcements.   I love the look of the monochome Acid Gold RS 660, and hope there’s a similar solid color option on the Tuono.  

629DEE56-5DAA-4E4F-B888-B3CC7806DB82.jpeg.18519d859fc2c2612671e58f0d432e16.jpeg

9C2384A2-0F3D-489B-B97C-BF48A6A98A77.thumb.jpeg.562d97e76be91b9d17d5b2916e40261c.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I’m anxiously awaiting the details of the Tuono announcements.   I love the look of the monochome Acid Gold RS 660, and hope there’s a similar solid color option on the Tuono.  

629DEE56-5DAA-4E4F-B888-B3CC7806DB82.jpeg.18519d859fc2c2612671e58f0d432e16.jpeg

Agreed, the solid color looks nice and really emphasizes the bikes lines and styling. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I can see one of these along side the FJ. I turned 60 this year. Bad back and knees, but I could ride this. Ha! Thought this type of bike was behind me. Nice!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, fr8dog said:

I can see one of these along side the FJ. I turned 60 this year. Bad back and knees, but I could ride this. Ha! Thought this type of bike was behind me. Nice!

Yep!  It seems like the perfect bookend to the FJ for me, as a 55 year old recovering road racer.   I’m still stubbornly hanging onto my Aprilia Mille R, but I almost never ride it anymore...  it’s just too uncomfortable as a street bike.  

Pure supersport bikes are definitely behind me at this point, but a high-spec middleweight sport standard still sounds very appealing   I rode a KTM 890 Duke R, and was very impressed, and the Aprilia 660 Tuono looks to be just as tempting. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Pure supersport bikes are definitely behind me at this point, but a high-spec middleweight sport standard still sounds very appealing   I rode a KTM 890 Duke R, and was very impressed, and the Aprilia 660 Tuono looks to be just as tempting. 

100hp and a claimed wet weight of around 370 lbs...  whats not to like? 

I'm sure the Tuono will have some similar specs.  I'm really curious to hear some more in depth ride reviews.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

The Tuono would be good. Couple of years ago I was heading down to Foresthill for a short ride. 17 miles of twisties. Has passing lanes too.

I was at the light a few cars back and a guy lane splits to get to the front. Couldn't tell what kind of bike he had. Figured it was a  younger guy wanting to get a jump on everyone heading down there. 

I pull into the bank next to the Valero. All the bikes park there. It's next to Mosquito Ridge Road. I see the guy. He was chilling by the time I arrived. I'm shocked. He's my age or older on a Tuono. Beautiful bike. We talked for a while. He ripped it up pretty good on the way down there. 

No dealer here in Boise. I think the closest is Salt Lake, Seattle or Reno.

• Like 1

660 looks really nice.  Exactly what Ive been wanting for a long time.  I was 63 when I traded by ZX6R 636 on a sport touring bike so I could do long trips.  Still miss that bike but the Tracer GT has brought excitement back!  My back is not in the best shape and I have a knee which is not 100% - lost the bottom quarter in a scooter crash 4 1/2 years ago but even after that still rode the ZX6R 600 miles in one day - painful part was the seat, knee was fine :-)  My back actually does better when I ride a lot, guess it is improving core strength.  Aprillia is exactly where I wanted to go with my ZX6R!  My vision of a sport touring bike was my ZX6R with more relaxed ergonomics and a taller windscreen and a good seat.  I don't tour 2 up so I'm happy with two sidecases and a duffle bag on the rear seat.  

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

@PhotoAl - It’s interesting that you mention the 636, as I still have my race prepped 2003 ZX6R 636.   I grabbed this picture in the truck’s headlights as I was pulling into the shop this evening.  

9D3DD844-F162-4CCD-83F0-F64BC862A23B.thumb.jpeg.2b6cbb92b72aa1936585a622ec397b2d.jpeg

I raced it through 2008, then used it when I was instructing for a track day program until about 2015.   It’s been sitting up since then, which is really a shame... it’s still a great motorcycle.   

I’ve contemplated making it into something of a sport standard or streetfighter, but can’t quite make up my mind.  It’s really well set up (AK-20s, Penske triple shock, Brembo master cylinder, RR slipper clutch, etc), and a ball to ride.  It deserves a better fate than collecting cobwebs in the shop. 

• Thumbsup 4

As you say "a ball to ride" isn't that what we are all chasing :-) and is why I think the 660 will do very well.  A fast bike that is fun and easy to ride without killer ergos!  There are some "spec sheet competitors" who say my bike is faster, has more displacement, has more HP, etc.  But look at how many Tracer 700s and Tracer 900s Yamaha has sold.  Fun bikes that art as powerful as a R6 but are also ridable in a practical sense.  Cant quote the numbers but if I'm not mistaken the 2003 ZX6R still had reasonable ergonomics which made it more streetable than later bikes.

Spent today working corners at a motorcycle track day.  Amazing how a well ridden small bike is just as fast as a more powerful bike.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

The appeal of Aprilia is hard to resist, but as I recently parted with my Capo Rally 1200 I can say I will never again spend my money on a machine so likely to have trouble and without nearby dealer support or parts support. Spend time reading about their customer service before you buy one! If you live in Los Angeles and have lots of cash, go for it! They are so beautiful, and when working well, like a Ferrari, they are a dream. But I had the AF1 racing shop in Austin, Texas, who is the main parts supplier for Aprilia in the US, explain to me their bikes are so rare here it is easier to get parts for a Ferrari, well, that says a lot. 

I like working on my own bikes too much, and like my money staying a bit more in my wallet. 

But when I see one on the road I sure turn my head! 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
53 minutes ago, Stew said:

Be interesting to see the Tuareg version.

It’s the Tuono sport standard that I’m anxiously waiting for...  nice to see this platform as a basis for a whole series of bikes. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I didn’t want to start another thread just for this, but here’s something I didn’t see coming...  the 2021 Triumph Trident:  

It’s a great time to be in the market for a ‘real world’ motorcycle.  

• Thumbsup 2