BMW F900XR

stevesweetz

I ride with Kawasaki C14 riders and they have a similar problem.  It sounds great on the showroom floor.  Just have a key fob somewhere nearby and the bike runs.  But I've read of people who swap bikes and ride away.  When they started, the key fobs were close enough that the bikes ran great.  When they split up and stopped, the required key fob was no where near.  The bikes were dead.  Swell....

Chris

2019 Moto Guzzi V85 TT.

If I was in the market for a new motorcycle - which I emphatically am not - something along these lines would be of interest in the sub-1000cc class of road/ tour bikes.   Haven't yet seen one in the flesh, but would like to.  Quirky enough to be interesting, certainly a bit (a lot?) different style-wise, proven powerplant, shaft-drive, etc.

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
On 11/8/2019 at 1:10 AM, wordsmith said:

2019 Moto Guzzi V85 TT.

If I was in the market for a new motorcycle - which I emphatically am not - something along these lines would be of interest in the sub-1000cc class of road/ tour bikes.   Haven't yet seen one in the flesh, but would like to.  Quirky enough to be interesting, certainly a bit (a lot?) different style-wise, proven powerplant, shaft-drive, etc.

I like this too. Yesterday I was reading on the ADV forum about the new "Travel" model. My only issue is the closest dealer is over 400 miles away.

1 hour ago, enx said:

Yesterday I saw f900xr, and I'm not impressed at all. Chinese engine, crappy foot pegs, wierd windscreen adjusting mechanism, totally unadjustable front suspension... I was expecting more from BMW.

Woddya mean - Chinese engine???

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

With the exception of the G310 series (which is produced at TVS's Tamil Nadu, India plant), all BMW Motorrad's motorcycle production takes place at its plant in Berlin, Germany. Some engines are manufactured in Austria, China, and Taiwan.

Above quote from Wikipedia

LONCIN BMW partnership

F850GS - Loncin

4 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Thanks for this, dazz.   I do recall some years ago reading that some/ all of the F series engines were assembled in China, which may not be the same thing as manufactured in China, implying as it does that parts are sourced from Chinese manufacturers.   The story went that the parts for the ROTAX engines were made in Austria, shipped to China for final assembly, then returned to Berlin for installation into the bike.   No greenie or environmentalist then or now, but I thought then that these engines clocked-up a lot of air-miles and contributed quite a bit of atmospheric pollution on the journey.   But - the bean-counters must have thought it worth while!

• Thumbsup 1

Ugh I didn't know about the lack of adjustable front suspension.  

I can barely tell the difference messing with the rebound and compression settings on the FJ, but pre-load certainty has a huge effect on front end dive.  Not having at least pre-load adjustable front suspension seems very behind the competition.

As far as the "Chinese engine", this by itself doesn't scare me away.  Chinese bikes are poor because they are built to meet a very low cost.  This doesn't mean that China doesn't have the capability to do quality manufacturing.  Some of Yamaha's engines are manufactured in China, though I don't know if that includes the CP3.

If I'm honest with myself, I still really want a Tracer 900 GT, I'm just pissed off with the complete lack of color choice in the US and the absolutely hideous 2020 color that it's basically spite making me consider the BMW.  The smart move is probably to buy a leftover 2019 and pay a few hundred to get it professionally painted.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, stevesweetz said:

If I'm honest with myself, I still really want a Tracer 900 GT, I'm just pissed off with the complete lack of color choice in the US and the absolutely hideous 2020 color that it's basically spite making me consider the BMW.  The smart move is probably to buy a leftover 2019 and pay a few hundred to get it professionally painted.

Its much easier to fix the color of your dream bike than settle for something out of spite.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I'd very much like to see a pic of the GT in the colour(s) that piss you off so much, ss.   Must be really ghastly...☹️

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

I'd very much like to see a pic of the GT in the colour(s) that piss you off so much, ss.   Must be really ghastly...☹️

2020 Tracer GT

2020.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Gotta say - looks OK to my eye, even if the rear panel doesn't appear to match the front panels.   I don't mind it all all, actually, but maybe some matching rim-tape may lift it a little.   

My very last BMW GS (and indeed the Roadster that preceded it) was supposedly 'Racing Red' in colour.   It was no such thing - almost KTM Orange, or as I named it at the time, very tetchily, 'Dawdling Down the Road Orange'.   But then, until quite recently BMW were crap at colours.