BMW F900XR

stevesweetz

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

Gotta say - looks OK to my eye, even if the rear panel doesn't appear to match the front panels.   I don't mind it all all, actually, but maybe some matching rim-tape may lift it a little.

I have to agree, its needs a little color separation and matching rim tape would do wonders.  I'm not a fan of black tanks, panels or bodywork, I think there needs to be a bit more contrast from the black frame, engine, swingarm, wheels and tires.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

My solution to the colors is to have all the body plastics "clear enough to see thru" as well as a "clear see thru" gas tank... that way the future  owners can get the bike painted to the color they want... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member

I'm not real happy with the color of my black 2019 GT, but I would walk away from the 2020 GT in the new paint scheme. Repainting a new bike sure does not help with resale in most cases, but in this one case it might. Where I live, it would set you back around $1000.00 to have the GT repainted with a factory quality color change. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

1 minute ago, roadrash83 said:

I'm not real happy with the color of my black 2019 GT. 

No choice at all here in Oz - you can have a GT in any colour so long as it's black - with blurple wheels and tank 'swoosh'.   I don't mind it at all, although I would have liked some choice, but given the poor sales of Tracers here I can understand why Yamaha Australia wouldn't want to take a punt on too many colours - so only one it was, take it or leave it!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Having lived with buying used bikes most of my life I don’t even think about color anymore. Was not crazy about the red for my ‘14 FJR and my FJ-09 is the same color.  Now I’ve come to really like it. 

Nobody ever comments on the color of my bike.

But the Bulrple rims always get a few comments wherever I go. Even from non-riders!

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, donk said:

Having lived with buying used bikes most of my life I don’t even think about color anymore. Was not crazy about the red for my ‘14 FJR and my FJ-09 is the same color.  Now I’ve come to really like it. 

I would be love to have the GT in fast Red !!

He who dies with the most toys wins.

7 hours ago, nhchris said:

But the Bulrple rims always get a few comments wherever I go. Even from non-riders!

All same same here!   Only ever had one complimentary comment from a passer-by, a kid of about 10yo or so wandering by, who murmured "cool bike, mate!".   At least I took it as a compliment...

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

16 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Gotta say - looks OK to my eye, even if the rear panel doesn't appear to match the front panels.   I don't mind it all all, actually, but maybe some matching rim-tape may lift it a little.   

In real world shots, the red looks closer to orange/copper and I do not like it at all, but that's not even my main complaint.

I don't like that everything is black and then front side panel is made to stand out. I don't like that panel standing out over the rest of the bike.  That's why I don't even like the 2019 all that much, although silver is a lot more agreeable than that copper. IMO It should be like the pre-redesign FJ/Tracer where the side panels are just matte black and then everything else is painted.  In other words, like the "Phantom Blue" color for Europe.

I was hoping this would be the color they were bringing to the US for 2020.  I would get one of these no question.

2349732x800x535_FFFFFF_E.jpg

Edited by stevesweetz
  • Thumbsup 2

Yeah verily - the 'red looks closer to orange/ copper' was precisely the so-called Racing Red I referred to on my last two BMWs!

I too like the combo you have pictured, but alas not available here.   Bummer!  The OP red version we are talking about might look better if the pannier lids - or ideally IMHO the concave inset part thereof - were also painted red... as in the blue version above.

Edited by wordsmith

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/8/2019 at 12:10 AM, wordsmith said:

2019 Moto Guzzi V85 TT.

If I was in the market for a new motorcycle - which I emphatically am not - something along these lines would be of interest in the sub-1000cc class of road/ tour bikes.   Haven't yet seen one in the flesh, but would like to.  Quirky enough to be interesting, certainly a bit (a lot?) different style-wise, proven powerplant, shaft-drive, etc.

+1

I love how functional my FJ-09 is, it's like a favorite pair of shoes. But it doesn't exactly stir my soul like I think this Guzzi would. If I had to replace my FJ tomorrow, the Guzzi would be on my short list. I'm sure it would be less practical than the Yamaha, but just look at it! And I have always wanted a Moto Guzzi.  

The BMW? Maybe. So far I haven't seen anything that makes me favor the BMW over the Tracer GT though. 

The Moto Guzzi V85TT pictured above is SOLD OUT here, even at about AUD$3500 more expensive than the GT.   Haven't seen one on the road yet though.

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, keithu said:

But it doesn't exactly stir my soul like I think this Guzzi would.  <snip>. And I have always wanted a Moto Guzzi. 

Have you ever ridden a Guzzi?   Tons of character, but totally different than the FJ...  It’s more of a slow-revving locomotive kind of fun than the rev-happy CP3 delivers.  Different, yet the same.  

I would respectfully submit that you need both.   Plus a big four-stroke single.  And a 600 Supersport bike.  You know the rule... it’s always n+1   

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2