BMW F900XR

stevesweetz

1 hour ago, stevesweetz said:

US pricing finally announced, starts at: $11,695

Quite a bit more than I was expecting based on converted Canadian prices, but it's possible the US base model has some add-ons baked in.  Says it has a steering damper stock, which I don't know, seems like kind of overkill to me.

Available options and pricing for those not announced yet.

https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/adventure/f900xr.html

If you are going anywhere near any BMW be prepared to spend up big!   After all, BMW = Bring More Wallet!   

AND - no cruise-control, no hard panniers.  I'm betting at least AUD$21,000 here, depending on spec.

Additionally, and importantly, I believe, one of the great virtues of the Tracer family has been the vast array of affordable after-market add-ons that are so readily available.   BMW bikes simply don't have this access...

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

BMW opted for a dry sump design without a oil sight glass on the F900 series (R and XR). Gotta use a dipstick which isn't as quick as a sight glass, but what really puts me off is having to remove the oil drain plug from the first oil pan, and then reaching through the open hole to a second oil pan above and removing the drain from it and hope you don't drop it in the lower oil pan. As a former BMW owner, that's the design used in the K1600 6 cylinder motor and I quickly found a better way: buy an oil drain plug, take an allen key that fits it, cut off the bottom of the L and have it welded to the drain plug so you can easily remove it from the first oil pan with a socket set. PITA!! 

Edited by mingo
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

I have run into this servicing K bikes at the shop. What a pain in the butt. Typical BMW over engineering to create unnecessary problems down the road.  

The one thing I love about BMW is they make Ducati engineering look smart. 

• Premium Member

Weird. That reminds me of the '85 K100 I used to have. For some reason they felt it necessary to mount the spin-on oil filter *inside* the oil pan. Why?! It's like the engineers said, "Okay, we're going to upgrade to a modern spin on-style filter, but we need to make sure they still get all messy trying to change it. And of course let's retain the superfluous o-ring that can be easily misaligned."

• Thumbsup 2

On 12/20/2019 at 3:39 AM, wordsmith said:

If you are going anywhere near any BMW be prepared to spend up big!   After all, BMW = Bring More Wallet!   

AND - no cruise-control, no hard panniers.  I'm betting at least AUD$21,000 here, depending on spec.

Additionally, and importantly, I believe, one of the great virtues of the Tracer family has been the vast array of affordable after-market add-ons that are so readily available.   BMW bikes simply don't have this access...

I don't think this is true anymore. BMW bikes nowaday have an array of add-ons that can be added to the bike and plugged into the standard electronics to make them work seamlessly

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
4 hours ago, jdavis said:

Priced a white one online today and was $20K ride away.

Facebook owners seem happy so far, even with a few noting a noisy/harsh clutch.

Wow, that's a lot of money. Does that include a bunch of tax or something? How does that compare with Tracer GT prices in your area?

Looking at local websites here in Oregon, I could ride a Tracer GT out of Power Yamaha for under $13.5k with zero negotiating. For ~$20k it appears I could get a 2020 R1250RS with cruise and ESA from the Eugene BMW dealer, although their website is unclear about freight/setup charges. They have a F900XR with no options advertised for $12,940. 

IMHO, the Tracer GT would represent much better value-for-money, with its included panniers here in Oz, cruise-control, adjustable fork, and maybe other inclusions.   The killer will be that wonderful CP3 triple engine.   The BMW will be better finished overall, with some nice touches no doubt (including to your wallet if you want additional factory options).   If the BMW came with the single-sided swing-arm and belt-drive as its predecessor F800 GT, I might consider it, but not as is... although I must say that I like its styling and looks

Only my 2c worth! 

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

19 hours ago, jdavis said:

Priced a white one online today and was $20K ride away.

Was that for an R or XR, John?   XR would seem to be closer to GT in terms of comfort and ergos.

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, jdavis said:

20k aud, about the same as the tracer Gt in Australia. 

Sorry, forgot you were in Australia. 

But I wouldn't put it past some US BMW dealers to slap a $20k USD sticker on a fully optioned F900XR, while keeping a straight face. 

13 hours ago, jdavis said:

22k for an XR Tour, fully optioned, but no panniers. 

Can I ask where you saw the ad?