BMW F900XR

stevesweetz

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, angrygirafe said:

You’ll spend that 1k in “unscheduled” maintenance for the Triumph real fast. And then another 1k. And another. 

People often say the same thing about BMWs though, too. I personally had a good experience with my Triumph, no issues through 34k miles. 

I'm sure almost everyone on this forum would recommend the Tracer if they're concerned about reliability. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I spent a good part of today looking at videos on-line of various testers putting the XR through its paces. At least one damned it with faint praise, and not one of them really enthused about it. Maybe the journo's gift pack from Motorrad was a bit iffy this year. 

LOL, that could be. I used to write for a motorcycle magazine and BMW's press intros were the best. I still have a lovely Victorinox multi-tool that was a gift at the K1200RS press intro in 1997.

<------- EDIT: I just remembered, my profile pic was taken during the K1200RS press intro in South Carolina. At the time I was riding with Mark Tuttle (Rider) and somebody else who's name I can't recall. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Covid-19 has pretty much killed my plans of potentially buying a new bike this year, but the more reviews and videos about the F900XR I watch, the more I lose interest.

Hopefully Yamaha puts out the 2021 Tracer 900 GT in a color I can tolerate and I just end up with one of those.  That said, I'm worried that sales will be so atrocious this year that they won't even do a 2021 model and will just sell left over 2020 stock.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, stevesweetz said:

I'm worried that sales will be so atrocious this year that they won't even do a 2021 model and will just sell left over 2020 stock.

I have been thinking the same thing, I'm not expecting any huge advancements or many revised/ updated models this coming year.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

48 minutes ago, stevesweetz said:

Covid-19 has pretty much killed my plans of potentially buying a new bike this year, but the more reviews and videos about the F900XR I watch, the more I lose interest.

Hopefully Yamaha puts out the 2021 Tracer 900 GT in a color I can tolerate and I just end up with one of those.  That said, I'm worried that sales will be so atrocious this year that they won't even do a 2021 model and will just sell left over 2020 stock.

Latest 'intelligence' - if you can call it that - is that here in Oz Yamaha has held back supply to dealerships of the 2020 colours such as the Tomato-Orange-Red until existing stock of the 'blurple' earlier models has cleared.   At the current rate of sales uptake we shall all be in covid-24 by then!

Edited by wordsmith
  • Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, jdavis said:

The BMW XR will most likely be my next bike unless Yamaha can bring the GT into the 21st century.

What features are you hoping Yamaha updates or implements?  I would like a more updated/ advanced electronic package with IMU for lean angle and cornering ABS and TC and I wouldn't be opposed to Yamaha offering a second version with semi-active electronic suspension like the FJR, R1M or even the Versys.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

What features are you hoping Yamaha updates or implements?  I would like a more updated/ advanced electronic package with IMU for lean angle and cornering ABS and TC and I wouldn't be opposed to Yamaha offering a second version with semi-active electronic suspension like the FJR, R1M or even the Versys.

If the rumors of the FJR1300's demise are true, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tracer GT get those features plus maybe a larger front fairing/windshield.

Or maybe there is a true FJR replacement in the works? I suspect Yamaha product planners hoped the Venture would carry forth their touring torch, but I think that model has been a sales dud. I've seen Ventures discounted $7-9k at the few dealers who stock them. Hopefully they look at this and decide to update the FJR and/or Super Tenere instead. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, keithu said:

If the rumors of the FJR1300's demise are true, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tracer GT get those features plus maybe a larger front fairing/windshield.

Or maybe there is a true FJR replacement in the works? I suspect Yamaha product planners hoped the Venture would carry forth their touring torch, but I think that model has been a sales dud. I've seen Ventures discounted $7-9k at the few dealers who stock them. Hopefully they look at this and decide to update the FJR and/or Super Tenere instead. 

As much as I love the FJR, I would like to see a fresh redesign with a weight loss and lower CG, like Honda did with their newest Goldwing. 

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, betoney said:

If Yamaha bought out an electronics package like the current Kwakas or BM's I would be happy. Suspension upgrades would be nice, saves doing it all later.

They have the engine and frame, but, everything else could be upgraded. I was talking to a GT owner the other day and his bike still looked like my 15, just different colours, and he spent 4k before it left the showroom on suspension and exhaust. That upgrade to his put it in the same price range of the top line FX.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/13/2019 at 3:01 PM, stevesweetz said:

In real world shots, the red looks closer to orange/copper and I do not like it at all, but that's not even my main complaint.

I don't like that everything is black and then front side panel is made to stand out. I don't like that panel standing out over the rest of the bike.  That's why I don't even like the 2019 all that much, although silver is a lot more agreeable than that copper. IMO It should be like the pre-redesign FJ/Tracer where the side panels are just matte black and then everything else is painted.  In other words, like the "Phantom Blue" color for Europe.

I was hoping this would be the color they were bringing to the US for 2020.  I would get one of these no question.

2349732x800x535_FFFFFF_E.jpg

Oof, same. I would put a deposit today on this blue. I hate the sparkle orange of the 2020 Tracer. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/14/2020 at 12:53 AM, stevesweetz said:

Here in the Netherlands sales have gone through the roof when it comes to new and used bikes. Thanks to Covid.

waited for F900XR and finally it came, busy youtube with these bikes, no offered as it just arrived. look at Tracer, USD3,700 cheaper over F900XR and compared with the cost of spare parts, service and excitement, put my money on a Tracer GT and here am I in Tracer forum, no regrets of not getting F900XR.  whereas in many countries, you have MT-10SP , while here, the highest spec yammy bike is the Tracer. 

next bike in a FEW YEARS after Tracer likely be Vulcan 900

• Thumbsup 3

9 hours ago, WKE002 said:

waited for F900XR and finally it came, busy youtube with these bikes, no offered as it just arrived. look at Tracer, USD3,700 cheaper over F900XR and compared with the cost of spare parts, service and excitement, put my money on a Tracer GT and here am I in Tracer forum, no regrets of not getting F900XR.  whereas in many countries, you have MT-10SP , while here, the highest spec yammy bike is the Tracer. 

next bike in a FEW YEARS after Tracer likely be Vulcan 900

If you plan to replace the Tracer with a Vulcan 900 I think you will be disappointed.

If adding the Vulcan as a 2nd bike, then probably ok.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA