usnscpo

Is Matt still in the game?

Seems Matt doesn't get a chance to check the forums as he once did.  If he's still doing his fork service, can anyone suggest the best method to contacting him?  I did find a phone number from an older post: 703-951-3813.  Might it still be good?

Thanks much,

Chris

15 minutes ago, usnscpo said:

Seems Matt doesn't get a chance to check the forums as he once did.  If he's still doing his fork service, can anyone suggest the best method to contacting him?  I did find a phone number from an older post: 703-951-3813.  Might it still be good?

Thanks much,

Chris

I don't have any current contact info for Matt, there is only one way for you to verify the phone number though.

I really wish Matt could afford to commit to his fork service full time because the price and performance is outstanding, unfortunately his "day job" got in the way in the past and his turn-around time suffered greatly, there were people (myself included) waiting several months to get their forks back.

Contact Norwest Suspension about the forks.  They can probably do an equivalent job to Matt's forks without buying complete replacement cartridges.  They can also perform surgery on the stock shock!

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I had an opportunity to get his forks, and I missed it. Now I don't think it's really feasible unless something dramatic changes. Those pesky day jobs always getting in the way. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

18 minutes ago, koth442 said:

I had an opportunity to get his forks, and I missed it.

It was kind of like capturing lightning in a bottle type opportunity, the level of performance for the price was unheard of and if you missed that window, its really unfortunate.

I got his advanced option, both legs active with rebound and compression pistons, rebound adjuster caps on both legs, compression adjuster on the left leg bottom, springs and shipping for under $500!!!

My friend has an FJ with the Stoltec single drop-in cartridge option and there is no comparison.  The Stoltec option is a huge upgrade but when we swap bikes the difference is noticeable immediately.

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 1

19 hours ago, betoney said:

It was kind of like capturing lightning in a bottle type opportunity, the level of performance for the price was unheard of and if you missed that window, its really unfortunate.

I got his advanced option, both legs active with rebound and compression pistons, rebound adjuster caps on both legs, compression adjuster on the left leg bottom, springs and shipping for under $500!!!

My friend has an FJ with the Stoltec single drop-in cartridge option and there is no comparison.  The Stoltec option is a huge upgrade but when we swap bikes the difference is noticeable immediately.

I got the same set-up from Matt plus a K-Tec Razor R shock with his spring Torrington bearing.  Great performance and value!

However, I've had the adjustable compression valve needle "jet" O-ring leak twice, the first time it allowed fork fluid to puke all over my left caliper, new Vesrah RJL pads and R1 320 mm rotors; luckily I made it home in one piece.  When I first installed Matt's cartridges and .95 Sonic springs, I polished the sliders and also replaced the bushings and seals, the latter with the green SKF items.  Either the SKF seals were old and inflexible or exerted too much pressure on the sliders, as they were causing striation wear to the chrome.  So when I had to pull the left fork to replace the O-ring on the compression valve jet screw and fluid, I pulled both forks apart AGAIN, polished the sliders AGAIN, replaced the bushings AGAIN, as well as the seals with OEM Yamaha items.  Once I had the left fork back together and before I installed it, I pumped it a few times and sure enough, the dam O-ring leaked again.  So I inverted the fork with the cap screwed on, yanked the adjustable comp valve and threw in the non-adjustable comp valve, and added a bit more 16 cSt fluid.  No more problems and frankly I can't tell the difference between the adjustable comp valve with the screw out 1-1/2 turns and the fixed valve, plus no more worries.  Again, great performance but if you have the adjustable comp valve (Matt should have sent you the fixed valve too), keep an eye out for seepage.  Matt acknowledged the adjustable comp valve with its needle and O-ring was a compromised design, which is why he gave me extra O-rings.  Matt also told me there is not too much real benefit from the adjustable comp valve.  Matt is a GREAT guy, very knowledgeable and talented but apparently not a good businessman when he's pressed for time plus he has a serious health issue for such a young man.  The first leak ruined my RJL pads and caused me a lot of extra work and a fair bit of added coin.

Nuf said and Norwest is probably one of the best alternatives to Matt.  Another is Jamie Daugherty, who started out doing fork and shock mods for the Honda VTR1000F Superhawk and now has expanded and covers primarily late 90's Honda's but as he also does the R3 and R1, I'd think he may take on the MT-09 Tracer and such.  Call him as he's also a great guy and a smart, responsive businessman.  Furthermore, he's currently working on his own BD40 shock for the FZ-7 & 9...

Spread the word!

http://daughertymotorsports.com/

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

frankly I can't tell the difference between the adjustable comp valve with the screw out 1-1/2 turns and the fixed valve... Matt also told me there is not too much real benefit from the adjustable comp valve.

Funny, he told me the exact opposite, he told me it is a coarse thread adjuster, so a small adjustment makes a big difference, and indeed 1/6-1/4 turn is quite noticeable.  Not a big deal though as now that I have it set, I never adjust it anymore.

• Thumbsup 1

Many thanks, Gents.  Looks like Daugherty is just a couple hours north of me.  Gonna drop Jamie an email. 

Cheers,
Chris

The above number is a good number for Matt. I was able to contact him last may and placed my order. I ordered his cartridge kit & replacement springs. Although he thought he would be able to ship in a couple of weeks it was 10-12 weeks before I got my order, it was worth the wait and he made some adjustments for the extra time involved.

I wouldn't rule Matt out as an option, especially if you can do the work youself or have a local shop perform the work for you. As @betoney & @2and3cylinders have said what you get for the price is great and he is very knowledgeable, but he has a very demanding day job and he really needs to improve on his commutation with his customers.

With it being winter now might be a good time to try him. Good luck with what ever you decide. It will be a great improvement. 

• Thumbsup 3