Gas nozzle “slot” removal?

3sum

• Premium Member

I don’t know what the proper name for it is but I’m referring to the inner part once you open the gas cap. Has anyone removed it? I find it highly annoying at fill ups. 

0EEEE717-E593-4BD2-A969-ECAFA27A4384.jpeg

I found it a bit strange at first but got used to it. Indicator for full. Just to add, don't get complacent when filling up. Few weeks back the pump never shut off and had fuel all over the place and on a hot engine. Wasn't sure if it was going up in flames. Went in the garage and told them 'nicely', that there pump wasn't working as it should, no cut off. Not happy.

Moral of the story, 'keep looking down'... not at the sexy lady next door.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, betoney said:

I guess there could be bigger issues in life than having an annoying opening to put the fuel pump nozzle into... 🙄

Not really sure what this has to do with my question, but ok. 

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 3sum said:

I don’t know what the proper name for it is but I’m referring to the inner part once you open the gas cap. Has anyone removed it? I find it highly annoying at fill ups. 

0EEEE717-E593-4BD2-A969-ECAFA27A4384.jpeg

Just curious, do other manufacturers not have the full level indicator?  I have never seen a bike that doesn't have this, how would you know when you overfill the tank?

IMG_0972.jpg.68d1d00c6aaee7f2844f1f380323497b.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

Edited by betoney
  • Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Not only does it keep you from over filling the tank, it keeps you from putting in diesel fuel or kerosene. you would be surprised at how many bikes come into my friends shop that have been missed fueled. sometimes with very expensive damage.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, betoney said:

Just curious, do other manufacturers not have the full level indicator?  I have never seen a bike that doesn't have this, how would you know when you overfill the tank?

IMG_0972.jpg.68d1d00c6aaee7f2844f1f380323497b.jpg

IMG_0971.jpg

I have never had a bike that has this inside it. I did have a Tuono that simply had a hole just big enough to fit the nozzle in, but other than that, *all* of the motorcycles I’ve owned simply has a wide opening once you open the cap. 

As far as knowing not to overfill, just leave a gap and don’t fill it all the way up the neck to the top. Simple really. 

And for those that stupidly fill their tank with diesel, well here’s your sign. You deserve it. Diesel nozzles are different colors, for one. 

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, 3sum said:

As far as knowing not to overfill, just leave a gap and don’t fill it all the way up the neck to the top. Simple really.

You are giving people way too much credit for having common sense. 

Society needs theses "protect people from themselves" fail safes.  

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, betoney said:

You are giving people way too much credit for having common sense. 

Society needs theses "protect people from themselves" fail safes.  

I disagree. Let Darwin take those he needs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, 3sum said:

I disagree. Let Darwin take those he needs. 

I'm not disagreeing with you, AT ALL.  I mean, there is a reason that manufactures STILL have to have warning stickers not to put your hands into a blender.😲

• Thumbsup 1

That little filling tube thing is pretty cool. 

My other three bikes do not have this, filling them up I need to squeeze the trigger gently, a little too much and fuel splashes out. 

With the GT, stick the nozzle in past the plate a couple inches, fill at max flow rate for most of the tank and drizzle in the rest. 

It is a quicker process. Thought it was odd the first fill up, but realised the advantage of having it pretty quickly. 

• Thumbsup 1