Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

Edit 15 April:  Photos of procedure are on page 19.

If you are buying, if the last 4 of your VIN are higher than 1500, you probably are not affected.

Bikes that have had the recall done will have a blue painted dot on the end of the shift shaft, left side of bike, where the linkage connects to if from the shift pedal.

If you are affected and are told the recall kits are on back order they are.  

Why?  So large dealer groups don't order them all to corner the market.  Yamaha USA (and others I'm sure) will release the kits to dealers with bike affected.  It takes a phone call.  Ask your dealer to call yamaha on your behalf if they don't believe you.

Post modification customers bikes click into gear, clearly, with no mush or vague feeling.

Edit 4:  April 9, 2015  

Your US dealer may tell you that parts are  back ordered until June.  This is true, however Yamaha has allocated kits for customer bikes.  If you have any issues, have your dealer file a warranty claim for shifting issues.  

Edit 2:  April 7, 2015

US recall has been initiated.  Service bulletin M2015-002R.  Kit part number 90891-10251-00.

Edit: March 27, 2015
This affects US market bikes.  Some members in Canada are reporting their bikes are affected.

The recall has not be started yet, so if you call your US dealer and have them run your VIN, it will not show anything.

If your US dealer doesn't know anything about this, ask them to log in to the Yamaha US Dealer website and check the messages from 25 March.  

End edit. 

Fresh off the press from Yamaha, intent to recall FJ09, FZ09, FZ6R, Super Tenere, R6.

Transmission shift cam segment stopper has sharp edge and may crack or break.

Affected units must have shift shaft assembly replaces.  Technical Bulletin will all necessary information to be released and affected owners notified by mail.

Range by Primary ID

FJ09F
RN37E-000002 ~ 001322

FJ09FC(alifornia)
RN37Y-000009 ~ 000162

FZ09F
RN33E-004737 ~ 006503

FZ09FC
RN33Y-001457 ~ 001935

Australian List: linky

[td style=padding:3px]To
MT09AF
MT09TRAF
[td style=padding:3px]RN294
RN29L
RN29K
[td style=padding:3px]001075
[td style=padding:3px]001220

[/tbody] 

[span] Dealers have been told to stop sell the affected units.[/span]

fYn3glu.jpg

DuYsqOO.jpg

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Is there a source for this other than stating "Yamaha".

Nothing on official sources, plus my MT09 Tracer has an ID that starts with a different sequence.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

If this is legitimate, I'm actually impressed. The FJ has only been out a couple of months, so this is a quick action from Yamaha to address the issue. This is coming from a guy who used to be the one to make recall decisions at an electronics company.

I've got no problem with pro-active recalls as long as the company acts fast and takes care of their customers.

That said, what's the worst case scenario here? Bike won't shift?

If this is true, problem was identified on the assembly line by an assembly worker; my guess.
If it's a safety issue, there's typically no grey area with recalls. If the probability that a single product will fail and cause a safety issue over the course of it's life, it means a recall. At least in my world. Can't speak for the motorcycle industry, but I'm guessing it's similar. 

So this may mean that the probability of YOUR bike failing is low, but the probability of A bike failing is high.  

Was in the store this morning getting oil and a filter for the 600 miles service. I saw the release from Yamaha. Service bulletin should be out in the next week. Glad I saw that so I don't waste good oil after a week or so of use. Call your service department if you want confirmation. Yamaha Customer Relations: 800-962-7926.

This is for US models. Other parts of the world will probably follow suite.

If this is legitimate, I'm actually impressed. The FJ has only been out a couple of months, so this is a quick action from Yamaha to address the issue. This is coming from a guy who used to be the one to make recall decisions at an electronics company. 
I've got no problem with pro-active recalls as long as the company acts fast and takes care of their customers.

Keep in mind though that this engine has been being built for the FZ-09 for almost two years. The FJ-09 is basically an FZ-09 with Farkles.

Keep in mind though that this engine has been being built for the FZ-09 for almost two years. The FJ-09 is basically an FZ-09 with Farkles.
Yes, but I assume they would order/manufacture parts based on the quantity of bikes they want to produce in any given year. The current batch they used to make 2015 bikes may have a manufacturing variance to the ones produced last year, meaning just because it affects 2015 bikes, doesn't mean it affects 2014 bikes even though it's the same engine. As an example, whoever makes these parts for them may have forgotten to remove the sharp edges on the latest order.  
I should put out the caveat that without knowing more, this is all pure speculation on my part based on my experience in manufacturing :)

It also will include certain years of the R6, FZ6, and Super Teneré in addition to our bikes and the FZ 09. According to my dealer.

-skip

Just called my dealer and yes, my FZ-09 is on the recall list. they also had an FZ-09 recall for cables to be replaced and a TSB for the cam chain tensioned. So, my bike will be getting all three done. I will try to time this while I am out of town anyways and not miss any riding time.

Service dept did stress that his is an important recall and to get it done asap.

Fresh off the press from Yamaha, intent to recall FJ09, FZ09, FZ6R, Super Tenere, R6. 
Transmission shift cam segment stopper has sharp edge and may crack or break.

Affected units must have shift shaft assembly replaces.  Technical Bulletin will all necessary information to be released and affected owners notified by mail.

Range by Primary ID

FJ09F
RN37E-000002 ~ 001322

FJ09FC(alifornia)
RN37Y-000009 ~ 000162

FZ09F
RN33E-004737 ~ 006503

FZ09FC
RN33Y-001457 ~ 001935

[span] Dealers have been told to stop sell the affected units.[/span]

I just spoke to Yamaha and they advised there is no recall on my bike.  My serial number is 115. 

Archived