Intent to recall FJ09 March 25, 2015

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also spoke with my dealer about this (after asking AGAIN if my heated grips and trunk pad were in...), and he hadn't heard of it, but said the shift shaft can be replaced by removing an engine cover--so the fix shouldn't take too long. It doesn't sound like the cases need to be split or the motor removed.

I also spoke with my dealer about this (after asking AGAIN if my heated grips and trunk pad were in...), and he hadn't heard of it, but said the shift shaft can be replaced by removing an engine cover--so the fix shouldn't take too long. It doesn't sound like the cases need to be split or the motor removed.
Darn. I was hoping it was repaired by taking the whole bike apart over the course of a week forcing them to give us all a $1000 accessory credit for the lost time. Oh well... ;)

If you ask the store to run you vin it won't come back with anything because Yamaha has not initiated the recall yet. They announced to the dealers they will initiate one. Once they do, then they can see it by the vin.

Cases do not need to be split, shouldn't take long, the recall kits and the service bulletin have not been issued yet.

fYn3glu.jpg

DuYsqOO.jpg

Looks like a long term wear issue. Doesn't look like something you need to immediately garage your bike because of. Not saying don't get it done ASAP... always better safe than sorry, but you can probably ride until it's fixed. Maybe don't go on a cross country trip or anything though ;)

My Canadian bike shouldn't be affected unless they widen the range. It's a RN37N
This is a Yamaha USA recall. Yamaha Canada may very well issue a recall as well. They probably have different VIN codes than their American brothers (our displays are in KM not Miles, so they aren't EXACTLY the same bike). 

It might, it might not, depends on what Yamaha Canada is doing. This is US bikes only, so far as we know. When Yamaha have sourced the recall kits and prepared the Technical Service Bulletin outlining how to do the job, the recall will be issued. Once that happens we'll know what parts of the world bikes with that bad batch of parts are.

Its spring where I am, shops are getting busy, I'm trying to hit the window where I can get one of the early kits and have the job done once the service department has done a few.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
My Canadian bike shouldn't be affected unless they widen the range. It's a RN37N
From Oz: I'll be taking a test-ride on Tuesday next - March 31st. The dealership currently has a red bike in stock (the demo is black), so if I decide to buy the red machine how can I best check MYSELF if this particular unit is involved in this matter?
L of S [em]('39 model)[/em][em]
[/em][em]Brisbane[/em][em]Queensland [/em][em]Australia[/em]

You'll have to ask. Just because Yamaha USA is affected doesn't mean this will hit bikes in other parts of the world. Somewhere, quality control found a defect, it was reported, the batch was identified, the decision to recall was made (but still has NOT been implemented) here in the US.

If I was your salesperson and you asked, I would show you the dealer page with announcements and run the VIN through the dealer site and make a note in my calendar and a promise to you that I would check up on it and let you know if there was an issue.

Here, I'm happy I know since I will need to do the first service before the recall is activated. I went to order the engine lubricant of my preference that I will not discuss and happened to be standing there when the parts guy opened the dealer site and told me about it. I'm retired from the industry, I'm on good terms with them. I'm happy as I won't see the engine lubricant of my preference spilled when the cover comes off after only a few hundred miles.

In my experience, including a Yamaha Road Star that needed a complete engine tear down to replace a faulty plastic shift bushing, the kits were complete, the techs had no problems doing the job but Yamaha never pays for the new oil and filter needed to put it all back together. So I'll put in a less expensive engine lubricant and keep the throttle in break in mode until the job is done.

I can be patient and get scheduled easily. I'm on good enough terms with them that I'm probably going to participate when I get my bike done. I think it would be highly unlikely to suffer a catastrophic failure on a bike with so little miles, so I'm not parking it.

I've noticed that the gear box was slightly less "yamaha" than I expected. I'll keep a look out it the gearbox is more "yamaha" after the job.

• Premium Member
From Oz: I'll be taking a test-ride on Tuesday next - March 31st. The dealership currently has a red bike in stock (the demo is black), so if I decide to buy the red machine how can I best check MYSELF if this particular unit is involved in this matter?

Your government seems to have a similar website for vehicle recalls to the UK one. There is an entry for Yamaha for this year on a 125cc bike so it seems quite current. If Yamaha issues a product recall for bikes made for your market then it seems likely you should be able to see it on this site - but as said above, it may not affect the bike you may buy as this is a problem covering many bike models using a generic transmission part from a particular batch of components.   
From past experience with my Super Tenere, if a bike needs a modification then Yamaha will put a flag on their computer system for that VIN. In theory, even if you do not receive a letter or email advising you to get the bike checked, the next time the bike goes into a dealer then the computer will let the service dept. know to carry out the work. The flag will stay live until the work has been signed off. Of course, ideally your dealer or Yamaha HQ would contact you directly if your bike is affected. My frame no. isn't in the ranges given above so I will not worry about riding the bike and I am confident I will get an email, letter or phone call if my bike should not be ridden. Out of curiosity, I will keep an eye on Visordown and MCN as those are the sites any UK news will break on.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived