• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Everybody's copying the Tracer!

Is it just me or does the new BMW 900 XR look like another Tracer copycat?  Between that and the Ducati Multistrata 950, it seems like the Europeans have realized that Yamaha is on to a good thing.  Their models will still be 50% more though.  Granted the Ducati is a good bike with some features the Tracer doesn't have, it would have come out around $21k compared to $14K (Canadian) to be similarly equipped.  

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, Burley said:

Is it just me or does the new BMW 900 XR look like another Tracer copycat?  Between that and the Ducati Multistrata 950, it seems like the Europeans have realized that Yamaha is on to a good thing.  Their models will still be 50% more though.  Granted the Ducati is a good bike with some features the Tracer doesn't have, it would have come out around $21k compared to $14K (Canadian) to be similarly equipped.  

The BMW styling does seem to take some ques from the Yamaha. 

Saying the Multistrada is copying the Tracer might be a bit of a stretch. Ducati created this market some 15 years ago.

The Yamaha is the cheaper option, and it shows. Budget brakes, budget suspensions, electronics, etc. It is a good bike for the price point, one of the reasons I bought it. Though, a higher priced version with brembo brakes, ohlins suspension and a more refined electronics package would be appealing. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

I think manufacturers have figured out that for aging riders (and there are A LOT of us) a massively a heavy sport tourer is no longer is attractive.

Middle weight is the wave of the future for us, and maybe even new recruits to the sport.

The new BMW is nice, but my guess is by the time you equip it with a few "packages" its pricing will be waaaay up there and  It won't be a good value for what it provides compared to the Tracer  GT.

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, nhchris said:

The new BMW is nice, but my guess is by the time you equip it with a few "packages" its pricing will be waaaay up there and  It won't be a good value for what it provides compared to the Tracer  GT.

Very True.  I was just on the BMW website looking at the 1250RS, adding a few options through the "build your own" section quickly brought the price from $15,700 to $19K ($3150 select package) and that didn't include hard bags or navigation.  The side bags and top box with inner bags are an additional $2500, the navigation system that is integrated into the handlebar controls with a smart mount is another $1000.

Then you start with the personalized cosmetic farkle options...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Another thing to consider when comparing the Yamaha to the BMW and the other Euro bikes is the dealer, parts network.  The big four Japanese bikes have them beat hands down. Not much fun finding the nearest dealer is 200mi away when your stuck on the side of the road on a trip.

• Thumbsup 3

He who dies with the most toys wins.

I had a Ducati and they can't duplicate the reliability or the value for the price point. Ultimately and unfortunately this is a problem for all of the European motorcycle brands. A $500 headlight, a $2400 gas tank that just started leaking ( both of which Ducati wouldn't warranty) and a $560 first service got me to trade in after 1 year on a Yamaha.  Actually I was surprised because nobody wanted to take a Ducati as a trade in and I found one dealer that would. One year in, not a single issue. No warranty claims, just killer performance. But then, that gets called a lack of character. 

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, StealthAu said:

Though, a higher priced version with brembo brakes, ohlins suspension and a more refined electronics package would be appealing. 

And - wishful tho' it may be - would consign the Tracer so equipped to even more mediocre sales here in Oz   I see more unicorns than Tracers of any vintage.   Outstanding value especially with panniers included as standard, yet they cannot be given away it seems. 

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

2 hours ago, betoney said:

Very True.  I was just on the BMW website looking at the 1250RS, adding a few options through the "build your own" section quickly brought the price from $15,700 to $19K ($3150 select package) and that didn't include hard bags or navigation.  The side bags and top box with inner bags are an additional $2500, the navigation system that is integrated into the handlebar controls with a smart mount is another $1000.

Then you start with the personalized cosmetic farkle options...

This is one reason why BMW lost me a few years ago.   I am lucky enough to have a more-or-less unlimited budget for my mobiking interests, but comes a time when one has to say enough is too much...

• Thumbsup 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 hour ago, chesterburnet said:

I had a Ducati and they can't duplicate the reliability or the value for the price point. Ultimately and unfortunately this is a problem for all of the European motorcycle brands. A $500 headlight, a $2400 gas tank that just started leaking ( both of which Ducati wouldn't warranty) and a $560 first service got me to trade in after 1 year on a Yamaha.  Actually I was surprised because nobody wanted to take a Ducati as a trade in and I found one dealer that would. One year in, not a single issue. No warranty claims, just killer performance. But then, that gets called a lack of character. 

That is quite a shitty Ducati experience. Unfortunately, the dealers play a big part in stuff like this, some are good to deal with, others not. Same with any brand. 

Did you drop or crash the bike? If not, there is no reason why it should not have been covered. 

As said above, biker's are getting older, same in UK. Young lads seem happier in there fancy car's and boom box. Most biker's I know are moving towards the sit-up, comfy bike, Better view ahead on our congested roads, top speed less important, but you do need that extra now and again.

For me, I want a comfy bike that will get me to 100 mph quickly, importantly, the 70 to 100 bit quickly, after that it can take it's time. Many bike's can do this but not many for the price of a tracer 900.

Others manufacturers will compete and add the bells and whistles but then the price goes up. Personally, I'm very happy with the standard tracer, no bells, no whistles, no problems. 

I speak as a single bike owner, if I had more then yes, have anything you fancy, two wheels is always fun,👍 whatever you got.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

While that price is below the listed $10,700 MSRP, it is still fairly high for the base model. 

My local dealer has a standard Tracer that he marked down to $8900, then marked down again to $8700 and there it sits while he sells every GT he can get. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

8 hours ago, StealthAu said:

That is quite a shitty Ducati experience. Unfortunately, the dealers play a big part in stuff like this, some are good to deal with, others not. Same with any brand. 

Did you drop or crash the bike? If not, there is no reason why it should not have been covered. 

Never dropped it or crashed it. Ducati doesn't really like to honor their warranty. The Scramblers go through clutches quicker than tires. Everyone knows that the plates are too thin but Ducati calls it regular wear and tear. I took it to Razee down in Rhode Island and they are a fantastic dealer. They are BMW, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Kymco, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, KTM & Zero. They are an old time dealer that is fun just as a Saturday  morning stop to meet other motorcyclists. Best service manager ever. He rolls his eyes and apologizes for the Ducati issue.  His words "This would never happen with a Japanese bike".

This list has been shown here before but I'll post it again.

Yamaha – 11%
Suzuki – 12%
Honda – 12%
Kawasaki – 15%
Victory – 17%
Harley-Davidson – 26%
Triumph – 29%
Ducati – 33%
BMW – 40%
Can-am – 42%

Can-am isn't really a motorcycle. The funniest thing is that all of the Beemer folks think the sun shines outta their asses because they bought one and they are the most unreliable brand. I know......we'll always get the people that swear that because they never had major issues that they are great bikes but 40 % failure rate is miserable. 33% is miserable. The happy ending is that I only kept the Ducati for a year and bought a Yamaha and I was fortunate to know how bad Beemers were up front.

BTW....I could have afforded most any bike I wanted but I decided to buy and RV also so I chose Yamahas ( I had an XSR900 also). the excellent price point on Yamaha allowed me to do that. 

Another cool thing: I bought both Yamahas without test rides and within the first 2 miles I felt like I'd been riding them for years.

I am aware that I am kind of a jerk about this but I have so many weird, uncomfortable , nasty encounters with Harley, Beemer and Ducati people that I don't care about ruffling feathers any more.