Everybody's copying the Tracer!

3 hours ago, chesterburnet said:

...but I have so many weird, uncomfortable , nasty encounters with Harley, Beemer and Ducati people that I don't care about ruffling feathers any more.

I would never have got that impression, cb!   🙄

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I see more unicorns than Tracers of any vintage.   Outstanding value especially with panniers included as standard, yet they cannot be given away it seems. 

Had mine since 02-19 seen 3 others in south Florida. With a population of 6,000,000. 😕

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

The Tracer GT's DNA  comes straight from hooligan bikes. Ergo the GT is a blast to ride and fun to push hard.  That plus the unique C3 engine puts the bike in a class of its own.

And while the S1000 RR was a great BMW and Isle of Man winner, the F 900 does not really share much of that DNA. 

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

On 11/10/2019 at 12:02 PM, chesterburnet said:

...  I am aware that I am kind of a jerk about this but I have so many weird, uncomfortable , nasty encounters with Harley, Beemer and Ducati people that I don't care about ruffling feathers any more.

What is it about the Harley guys???   They NEVER wave anymore!  Not sure what that's about.

I did stop in at the local Harley dealer on Saturday looking for the new LiveWire.  Not in dealers till January.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

5 minutes ago, nhchris said:

What is it about the Harley guys???   They NEVER wave anymore!  Not sure what that's about.

That’s what they pay for.... an image which doesn’t require them to be nice and wave at other motorcyclists.... it’s like they bought into a private club. 
(... which I have no desire to join)

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

The new Beemer is a twin with less HP than the FJ09/Tracer, it's made in India, but costs more. Nope. No thanks. The 09/Tracer is a bargain. I don't get why they are such poor sellers.

On the performance aspects of the more expensive bikes like the Duc, etc - I ride with a pretty diverse group. BMWs, Ducs, Aprilas, KTM etc. They may have some better components, but it doesn't make a bit of difference on who arrives at the stop sign first. I'm keeping up just fine. Except over 115 MPH. :D

Also, I'm a BMW owner as well as a Harley owner. I'll return a wave at anyone on a bike. I rarely initiate.......to busy enjoying the ride.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, nhchris said:

I did stop in at the local Harley dealer on Saturday looking for the new LiveWire.  Not in dealers till January.

I always figured about 50% of them do, the next 25% are too bad ass, and if the last 25% of the Poser Pirates took a hand off the bars it' a guaranteed crash😉

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

+ smaller tank and heavier. 

Seems to be copying their larger XR. Thought my 2015 FJ-09 copied others that existed prior. But if I cared what they looked like would probably only own uncomfortable Ducatis.

This thread got to brands quickly. I'm above all that. I hate those that are intolerant of other brand owners and Range Rover drivers. 

In the US give waves if my workload is low but feel weird when it turns out to be a scooter and then I try and snatch it back and pretend it never happened. Don't think much about others not waving. They may have bogeys to pay attention to. And dear lord if they're riding some cruiser configuration I don't want to be the motive for removing a hand from the bar for a nanosecond. 

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, skipperT said:

... it’s like they bought into a private club. (... which I have no desire to join)

I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member...

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

3 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I always figured about 50% of them do, the next 25% are too bad ass, and if the last 25% of the Poser Pirates took a hand off the bars it' a guaranteed crash😉

no, no, no..........Haven't you seen them all riding around one handed and doing hand turn signals. It's the Harley riders showing off their riding feats of of skill. Apparently riding one handed on a Harley is badass. And don't forget, they're doing a good 30 mph.

Its all 2wheel fun, but here in the UK, the majority of the Harleys riders do seem distant from the rest of us. Not the mixing sort. 

However, over the last few years though, I do think the HD showroom's have become a more attractive place. Those sportsters with flat bars look pretty good I reckon, compared to those big, horrible touring armchairs.  Still never have one though.  

• Thumbsup 1

Strange to say, over many years of riding I've become accustomed to seeing far more H-Ds on the road than any other brand of motorcycle.   I'd reckon that at least 50% of the bikes that pass me by in either direction are H-Ds.   When    you consider the very small percentage of new road bike sales here that are H-Ds (<5% last time I looked, about the same as Yamaha) two possible reasons suggest themselves: either H-Ds last much longer than other brands; or H-D riders get out more (usually in a posse). 

Any comments and/ or similar experience in your neck of the woods?

Edited by wordsmith

I work for a large intl. company. If I look around on the parking lot, I see a lot of BMW bikes, especially GS types. I think 60% of my motor riding colleagues owns a BMW. I never understood why. Sure, the 1200 GS is a nice bike but not very useful for commuting in a very busy urban area. Harley’s are a rare thing among my colleagues though.

I think there is a large group of bikers here that is convinced that bigger is better: 1200 GS, 1200 RT, FJR 1300 etc. And many of them have a certain attitude towards colleagues that ride “smaller” bikes. As if the smaller bikes are not to be taken too serious. However, colleagues that have tried my 900 GT all admit it is very much fun to ride, easier to handle and much more suited for urban traffic. 

Edited by Michiel900GT
  • Thumbsup 2