Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Burley

Everybody's copying the Tracer!

Recommended Posts

On 11/29/2019 at 7:37 PM, daboo said:

You mentioned the curves.  I got a chuckle out of the BC riders.  They were on Kawasaki Concours C14s.  Wonderful bikes.  They are on the "sport" side of sport-touring, I suppose.  Those guys could fling their bikes through corners at speeds that amazed me.  But by lunch, it was no problem to reel them in.  Even if a heavy bike can take curves fast, it still takes a lot of effort.  At the end of the day, I was still ready for more riding.  And I think it has to do with the low weight of our bikes

This is a point I often try to make to my friends in the long distance/Iron Butt community. They question how I can handle touring on lighter motorcycles like the FJ-09 or my previous TT600. There is an assumption that a heavier bike (600-750lbs) is obviously more comfortable for long rides because of "stability" or something like that. But if the roads are curvy - you know, the kinds of roads we actually enjoy riding - the weight becomes a detriment and definitely contributes to fatigue after a while.

The FJ-09 (or F800GT) can be made comfortable on freeway drones with the simple addition of a windshield, seat, and cruise control. But nothing is going to turn a 700 pound land yacht into a flickable corner carver.

  • Thumbsup 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

As a member of the long distance community (9 SS1000, 1 BB1500, and 1 50CC in ‘19) I am one who believes there is no advantage to weight. In full disclosure I did most of my rides on my FJR and a couple on my Multistrada but am seriously considering using a TracerGT in the future. My FJ-09 with stock seat and CalSci windshield is as comfortable as the FJR, in fact it has more legroom and is easier on the knees. As far as comfort both the Multi and FJ-09 are tough to beat.  The FJR does have an advantage in range which is a big plus and shaft drive is nice but not a deal maker. Where the lighter bikes rule supreme is when riding at slower speeds and any time you stop after 15 hours on the bike.  It simply takes less effort and when fatigue is a factor that’s when it’s easy to make a mistake and drop a bike. Even the 100lbs difference between the Multistrada and FJR is huge at the end of the day.  Less effort saves energy for riding longer too.  I only have a 30” inseam and for me the FJ-09 is by far the easiest. While I’ve yet to do an official SS1000 on it I have done some long days and riding the smaller bike is no more fatiguing than a big bike if anything it’s less so.  A decent windshield and it’s good to go. I have no problem with the stock seat but if it were to become my go to LD bike I’d have KonTour redo it. There really is no argument for heavier bike other than they’re heavier😊.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, donk said:

As a member of the long distance community (9 SS1000, 1 BB1500, and 1 50CC in ‘19) I am one who believes there is no advantage to weight. In full disclosure I did most of my rides on my FJR and a couple on my Multistrada but am seriously considering using a TracerGT in the future. My FJ-09 with stock seat and CalSci windshield is as comfortable as the FJR, in fact it has more legroom and is easier on the knees. As far as comfort both the Multi and FJ-09 are tough to beat.  The FJR does have an advantage in range which is a big plus and shaft drive is nice but not a deal maker. Where the lighter bikes rule supreme is when riding at slower speeds and any time you stop after 15 hours on the bike.  It simply takes less effort and when fatigue is a factor that’s when it’s easy to make a mistake and drop a bike. Even the 100lbs difference between the Multistrada and FJR is huge at the end of the day.  Less effort saves energy for riding longer too.  I only have a 30” inseam and for me the FJ-09 is by far the easiest. While I’ve yet to do an official SS1000 on it I have done some long days and riding the smaller bike is no more fatiguing than a big bike if anything it’s less so.  A decent windshield and it’s good to go. I have no problem with the stock seat but if it were to become my go to LD bike I’d have KonTour redo it. There really is no argument for heavier bike other than they’re heavier😊.  

MY FJ is limited by the fact that it has no cruise. I didn't really buy it for that kind of riding though. Initially I bought the bike as an in-state sport tourer for the Driftless region (donk knows what I'm talking about) and sporting rides with friends locally. But the bike is so comfortable that I've pushed out further with rides to Iowa and Michigan for business. I've put 10 hours in the saddle and yeah, compared to my Harley Touring rig I get a little beat up. But the Harley is a minivan on 2 wheels and requires very little effort. I've done a number of runs to Denver in one day and I consider the bike ideal for that. The FJ compares very favorably to my GS though. With the right seat (working on that) and maybe cruise I could do much longer rides. I'm looking forward to some runs down to the Smokies and the Ozarks so I can tear it up more than when I'm on the minivan.

  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

The Driftless region is great riding. 

I use a Go Cruise throttle control on the FJ-09. While not cruise control it does give my right hand a brake. Cruise and a bigger tank would be the reason(excuse) to consider a Tracer GT. 

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FJ-09 is a solidly capable LD bike particularly with cruise control added and windscreen to taste.  I’ve done several IBA rides including a Bun Burner Gold and rallies as long as 65 hours and less range is the only glaring shortcoming v. bigger rides.  More fairing, technology and creature comforts would help I suppose but donk is spot on about weight.

 

  • Thumbsup 2

IBA Member #59800

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 7:43 PM, donk said:

The Driftless region is great riding. 

I use a Go Cruise throttle control on the FJ-09. While not cruise control it does give my right hand a brake. Cruise and a bigger tank would be the reason(excuse) to consider a Tracer GT. 

Hey Donk, did you get the 7/8 or the 1 inch Go Cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MemphisTracer said:

Hey Donk, did you get the 7/8 or the 1 inch Go Cruise?

Details

  • One of the best on the market.
  • Easy to use - on/off in 6 seconds.
  • 22 mm (Small, 7/8" Dia. Handlebar size) for urban and sport bikes.
  • 25 mm (Large, 1" Dia. Handlebar size) for Harley Davidson or cruisers.
  • Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
On 12/22/2019 at 5:33 PM, betoney said:

Details

  • One of the best on the market.
  • Easy to use - on/off in 6 seconds.
  • 22 mm (Small, 7/8" Dia. Handlebar size) for urban and sport bikes.
  • 25 mm (Large, 1" Dia. Handlebar size) for Harley Davidson or cruisers.

I used the small. FJ-09/Tracer has 7/8 bars and it worked fine both on the stock and OEM heated grips. It’s not cruise but it does work well enough to give your right hand a break. Can’t beat it for the price and best of all don’t need to cut or modify anything. 

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, limpy88 said:

That Turismo Veloce is a beautiful bike.... check out Boris on Bikes older videos on YouTube... he owned one for awhile and it had all sorts of electrical gremlins, but the bike itself was beautiful.


'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, duhs10 said:

That Turismo Veloce is a beautiful bike.... check out Boris on Bikes older videos on YouTube... he owned one for awhile and it had all sorts of electrical gremlins, but the bike itself was beautiful.

Yeah any MV is like any Ferrari before 2010. Beautiful to look at sounds great  the 15% of the time it works

  • Thumbsup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd expect more than fancy electronics and Brembo brakes for $22,000 USD.

Same  HP as FJ at 110 and slightly heavier.

A leftover 2019 Tracer GT for $11,000 is  looking better and better.  Maybe two!


1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nhchris said:

I'd expect more than fancy electronics and Brembo brakes for $22,000 USD.

Same  HP as FJ at 110 and slightly heavier.

A leftover 2019 Tracer GT for $11,000 is  looking better and better.  Maybe two!

I agree that $22,000 is quite expensive but building from the GT's features, the Lusso also offers a counter balanced motor, electronic semi-active suspension, hydraulic clutch, up and down quick shifter, integrated navigation, advanced IMU with lean angle ABS and 8 level TC, Brembo brakes, 5.7 gallon tank, single sided swingarm, alloy rims, much larger side bag capacity, 3 year warranty, and only 438 pounds!

A (relatively) similar spec'd Versys 1000 SE LT+ is $18,000 and weighs an additional 150 pounds. 566.7 lb (+ Saddlebags, Hand Guards, & Hardware approx. 20 lb.)  

For an exotic European model the price doesn't seem too far out of line.


***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is meant by the Lusso's "Bluetooth Cruise control " feature??


1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×