"Shaking" Chain Issue Inquiry

ozn3

So I was cleaning my bike the other day and needed to remove the excess water on the chain. I placed the bike on the center stand, folded the side stand, put the bike on 1st gear, and just let it run without opening the throttle in order for the excess water on the chain to get out. This is the first time I did it and I noticed that the chain shook up and down too much while running on its own. Is this normal? does my chain have too much slack? or is it out of alignment? Haven't checked the slack yet cause I recently just had it serviced and the mechanic supposedly adjusted it already.

You can view it here for reference: 

Feel free to check out the whole video too if you see anything out of the ordinary.

PS

Disregard the debris on the chain, that's just tissue paper that got stuck while I was inspecting the chain. White stuff is the ceramix wax from my Putoline chain lube. 2000+ kms on the ODO.

32 minutes ago, ozn3 said:

Haven't checked the slack yet cause I recently just had it serviced and the mechanic supposedly adjusted it already.

'Supposedly' is a good word.   If he didn't check, you wouldn't be the first to find how unreliable they (mechs) can be.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

2 hours ago, chitown said:

Electric leaf blower does the job for me. 

Air compressor and blow gun attachment for me. Also good for blowing water out of the nooks in the frame, fasteners, around the fuel filler cap etc after you wash the bike.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member

Also, no load on the a-arm so you “see” lots of jumping in that situation as slack should be close to 1.5”.  My bike has never seen rain in 7,300 miles. That how I solve that problem 😀

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

All good n no worries.

Next time take one lap around the block to dry the chain Before applying the wax.

• Thumbsup 3
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• 3 weeks later...