Hauling in a short bed pickup

Has anyone ever hauled a Tracer in a short bed small pickup? I'm thinking of buying a Chevy Colorado with a short bed, five foot length. I figure I will have to fortify the tailgate somehow to keep the weight of the rear tire from causing damage, to the tailgate, when hauling the bike over longer distances. Maybe a channel running front to back to help keep the full load off of the tailgate or some side to side brace on the tailgate to distribute the load over the full width of the panel. Any comments from those who have run into this situation would be appreciated,

Our bikes are a smudge under 500lbs. Most tailgates can handle at least that or more. Even so. Split the weight on both wheels and your at 250lbs. And Im 250lbs and never broke a tailgate. I have seen 400lbs guys on tail gates as well. I have owned 8 trucks and drove many others for work. Broke the rusty lift gate on my craiglist find service truck with a 2000lbs electric motor.  1200lbs was fine. 

Also a quality spray on bed liner stiffens a bed up. There is a company here in indiana, i have bought products from. The sprayed a soda can and would it put under a wheel of a truck at shows to show the strength.

Edited by limpy88
  • Thumbsup 1

I have loaded heavier bikes into my small truck where the rear wheel sits on the open tailgate for the duration of the trip with no issues.  Just make sure you have the bike very well secured for the trip.  I highly recommend investing in a Baxley wheel chock if you plan on doing this on occasion.  Great product!!

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

No specific knowledge of the Colorado but I'm a bit more careful with gates compared to previous generations of pickups given the constant migration away from steel to lightweight construction materials. At 1/2 Tracer weight it's not too concerning but If you can't angle it to get the rear off the gate consider a plywood sheet to distribute. While my bed isn't that short I use plywood with one or two chocks attached for hauling.

3/4” plywood would stiffen things up. Just make sure it’s up against the front of the bed and tight against the wheel wells so it doesn’t slide. Most loads shift while braking not acceleration

Edited by Guest

• Premium Member

I like @donk's idea of a secured plywood sheet. 

I have an F150 with a 5 1/2' bed. The rear wheel sits in the gap just ahead of the tailgate, not on the tailgate itself. If you angled it slightly, you could do the same thing. 

Well, we jumped up to a full size Silverado with a 5' 8" bed and I believe the issue has been resolved. It appears that the back wheel will be much closer to the bed which is the strongest part of the tailgate. Thanks for the input.

• Premium Member

That's how it begins. A buddy bought a used DRZ400 for $3k or so for a little dual sporting. Then he upgraded it. Then he bought dirt bikes for his kids. Then a dual sport for his wife. Then bigger dirt bikes for his kids. Then a dirt bike for his wife. Then a toy hauler. Then a 3/4 ton pickup to tow the toy hauler. Then spent well north of $10k on a really nice KTM for himself. That DRZ probably cost $80k or more. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

In 1993 I hauled a BMW K100RS 1000 miles in a 4-cylinder Nissan pickup and it was fine. That bike is longer and quite a bit heavier than the Tracer. Loading diagonally helps. 

Coincidentally, this coming weekend I am hauling that exact same K100RS for someone else. Now I have a Tundra which is a slightly better bike hauler.