Winter Projects

2 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

@piotrek - Maybe slightly narrower bars would be an option for me?  Thoughts?

YMMV, and probably will, but I much preferred the wider 'bars on the Gen1 Tracers to the appreciably narrower ones on my GT.   That may be a reason behind my shoulder bursitis issues, which never arose with the Gen 1 bikes.   Go figure...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
On 11/14/2019 at 8:25 PM, betoney said:

Next week I have an appointment for valve check/adjust, spark plug replacement and TB sync.

I also need to do the annual greasing of the swing arm and linkage bearings as well as shifter and brake pedal pivots.

The suspension isn't due for servicing until next year.

How many miles on your FJ, or between swing arm & linkage greasing (steering head?)?  I know the service spec is lowish and I feel guilty I've not done mine yet in 34k miles. I should have done them when I installed my K-Tech Razor R shock, and have just made it more difficult as I just installed a Lubeman semi automatic chain oiler.  Have people found them dry and or corroded??  I know the SA pivot bolt is exposed and can readily rust; cost this corrosion make tougher to remove?

I'd like to install a cruise control thiswinter, most all my other kids and maintenance are done or not due for a while other than an oil and filter change and some fuel stabilizer in a full tank...

Thanks

PS, yes that's my 25 year old MTD 2-stroke snow thrower next to the FJ, which is behind the VTR and next to the RD; winter reared it's head early this fall with the leaves still falling. 😞

20191116_183000.jpg

20191116_181611.jpg

• Premium Member
On 11/15/2019 at 8:33 PM, chesterburnet said:

Don't bother with the weights in the handlebars. I filled my with BBs as I head read people have done this to cut down on vibration. I t does nothing. Interestingly..........it doesn't take that many BBs to pack them full. This is my only area of motorcycle expertise.

I thought the BBs helped a bit along with a non-damped CS sprocket, TB sync, AP cal, and Grip Puppies. And I did not find vibration objectionable at all except mildly so around 4500~5000 RPM in 6th gear.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

How many miles on your FJ, or between swing arm & linkage greasing (steering head?)?  I know the service spec is lowish and I feel guilty I've not done mine yet in 34k miles. I should have done them when I installed my K-Tech Razor R shock, and have just made it more difficult as I just installed a Lubeman semi automatic chain oiler.  Have people found them dry and or corroded??  I know the SA pivot bolt is exposed and can readily rust; cost this corrosion make tougher to remove?

The first time I pulled the linkage pivot bolt it was dry and had started to rust.  I don't know what the service interval is but I grease the swingarm and linkage bearings annually.  After you have done it once and figured out how everything comes apart, its actually quite easy and I would be very surprised if it took  an hour to complete.

I do the same thing with a brake fluid flush, annually, regardless of the service interval in the manual. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
On 11/14/2019 at 8:11 PM, koth442 said:

What's your winter project(s)? Those of you in warmer climates can chime in too. Even though it's not really winter... (I'm looking at you Scott).

Who, me?  Winter??  

A8E02D14-6C87-47A3-A833-E9E56EC7AEDB.thumb.jpeg.b44854ba933b1f95e3a21ef64e3660c5.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

Just ordered a Bagster seat and plan to finally install my McCruise and Tenere switch gear.

Might be some suspension upgrades in the near future as well.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

Might be some suspension upgrades in the near future as well.

Anything in particular?  There are a lot of good options out there to choose from.  You are only an hour away from Traxxion Dynamics!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Part one of my Brembo RCS 19 clutch install. So far all good. 

7215D6A3-3BEE-469B-8528-44A65624E3C9.jpeg

9A30C5E9-F380-46D9-941A-59A1599B1CB0.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

22 minutes ago, betoney said:

Anything in particular?  There are a lot of good options out there to choose from.  You are only an hour away from Traxxion Dynamics!

Been eyeballing the Ohlins NIX-30 street and a 535 or the like.

I've thought about Traxxion as well but I like the idea of a 30mm piston vs a 20mm piston. Not completely set yet.  Also have to figure out how to tell the wife I'm going to spend almost $2k on suspension parts lol.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

Part one of my Brembo RCS 19 clutch install. So far all good. 

7215D6A3-3BEE-469B-8528-44A65624E3C9.jpeg

9A30C5E9-F380-46D9-941A-59A1599B1CB0.jpeg

How does this master cylinder adapt to our bikes?  The ones I saw online say they are only for bikes that currently have a hydraulic clutch.

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, betoney said:

How does this master cylinder adapt to our bikes?  The ones I saw online say they are only for bikes that currently have a hydraulic clutch.

So far like a glove. I have the slave coming hopefully this wee, then I can measure and order a customer made hydraulic line. As you can see it fits the well with the stock control module next to it. This Brembo does not come with a switch, unlike the matching brake master cylinder. Still stewing on my three options there. 

• Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 - Andreani Cartridges, Ohlins 535 Rear Shock, LightTech Chain Adjusters, Yoshi Fender Eliminator, Blaster-X Integrated Tail Light/Blinkers,  Full Yoshi Exhaust, Ivan's Flash, Bagster Seat, Rizoma: (Bar, Grips, Bar Ends, Mirrors, Oil Cap, Rear Pegs) Bremob Corsa Corta Master Cylinder, Bremob RCS19 Hadraulic Clutch, GPR Steering Damper, Speigler Hydraulic Lines, EBC Brake Pads, Puig Screen, HealTech Quick Shifter, MPG Rearset, XSR900 Slipper Clutch, Driven Racing Halo Gas Cap, SW-Motch Front / Rear Axel Sliders,  R1 Rotors / 320mm Kit Conversion. 

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

So far like a glove. I have the slave coming hopefully this wee, then I can measure and order a customer made hydraulic line. As you can see it fits the well with the stock control module next to it. This Brembo does not come with a switch, unlike the matching brake master cylinder. Still stewing on my three options there. 

I believe I may be the first person to attempt to add this Brembo. I know Magura are all over the place (love that company, have Magura on my Scalple) but no one has fitted RCS 19 this to my knowledge.

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, coachluciano said:

I believe I may be the first person to attempt to add this Brembo. I know Magura are all over the place (love that company, have Magura on my Scalple) but no one has fitted RCS 19 this to my knowledge.

Its kind of cool that it isn't a plug and play unit like the Magura and you are piecing it together to make it work.  👍

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I was checking/adjusting my headlights and noticed my high beam was pointing far to the left.  I found out through this post

that the silver screw pictured ('15-'17 FJ09 model) adjusts the lamps left and right.  I did not know they were adjustable horizontally.  Thank you search function!

Adjustment.jpg

• Thumbsup 2