LOVE AT FIRST SIT with my GT's new BAGSTER seat...

wordsmith

LOVE AT FIRST SIT with my GT’s new BAGSTER seat

Short version - my bony bum thought it had died and gone to heaven.

Longer version - after a self-imposed absence from the GT for some time while allowing my very painful bursitis-affected shoulder to have some medical treatment and start to heal, I was eager to get onto the brand-new and as-yet untried BAGSTER seat.  Today it was very unpleasant to be outside, as ravaging bush-fires to the south, west, and north of Brisbane have brought thick hazy air and a strong smell of burning.   It’s been like this for some weeks now, so indoors is the best place to be, air-con on.   Storms forecast for later.

I need to heed my own words when reporting, for as I have said before - “It is a truth universally acknowledged that a new owner of almost anything – motorcycle, car, boat, house, girl-friend, goldfish, BAGSTER seat – will proclaim it to be absolutely the best of its kind ever, never equalled, and unlikely to be surpassed in the future”.   In other words, some self-serving exaggeration may occur!   Thank you, Jane Austen.

The OE GT seat is a vast improvement over the torture-device OE seat on Gen1 Tracers, but it could hardly have been worse – on the Gen1 seat about an hour or up to 80 or so kilometres was more than enough for me.    But the OE GT seat gave acceptable comfort on my recent 4500km circuit over 13 days as I only occasionally felt a need to squirm around to find that ‘sweet spot’, despite long hot days of up to 585km in the saddle.    Even so, I had such fond memories of previous BAGSTER seats that I couldn’t resist the urge to splash out another $500 or so to complete the package.

On today’s test-ride of about 180km/ two-and-a-bit hours, my bony bum thought it had died and gone to heaven, even though the difference in comfort was not huge, but it was certainly detectable.  

When I’m seated the new BAGSTER seat is quite firm, but has some ‘give’ still in it compared to the very firm OE Gt seat, which feels as though I have reached the limit of its compressibility and support, despite my pretty light ATTGATT weight of only around 84kg (185 pounds).    I also seem to be supported rather more along the back of my upper thighs instead of just on the points of my sit-bones.   Whatever – it was plush.   And with the front seat in the lower position, where it is easily and firmly fitted, I can comfortably flat-foot at rest – heels and soles of both boots flat on the ground.

The BAGSTER pillion seat does require a hefty karate-chop to get it to fasten securely into its lock – other than that the two-piece kit it is a superb product and, IMHO, worth every penny or cent or Euro if you can afford it.  

In summary then - on my GT, the combination of the bike’s greatly-improved K-tech very compliant suspension upgrade and the BAGSTER seat gives me near-perfection in terms of plush comfort and day-longability to ride.  

It is indeed “absolutely the best of its kind ever, never equalled, and unlikely to be surpassed in the future”.

P1060074.JPG

P1060075.JPG

P1060076.JPG

P1060077.JPG

P1060078.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

4 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Would you care to install the seat in the higher position and post a picture please??

Happy to do that, jm - any particulr perspective wanted, or just leave it to me?   Lemme know...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

6 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Happy to do that, jm - any particulr perspective wanted, or just leave it to me?   Lemme know...

From the side but just above, showing both the fit to the tank and at the side.  Thanks in advance.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

17 hours ago, suncoaster said:

Would it be worth still using an airhawk and a sheepskin I wonder ?  I'll have to give them a trial.

If "yes", something's wrong!   Let's know how you get on...

3 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

From the side but just above, showing both the fit to the tank and at the side.  Thanks in advance.

Here are pix.   Front rider seat in high position (pic #1): and lower (pic #2), which is how I have it.   

Pic #3 higher, side-on and pic #4 , lower side-on.   According to the Manual, difference between high and low is a mere 15mm or 5/8th of an inch.   I can flat-foot on both settings.   And a moan if I may - has anyone ever seen a more fiddly and less elegant mechanism than the plastic height-adjusting part under the front seat - it's a joke!

P1060085.JPG

P1060086.JPG

P1060088.JPG

P1060087.JPG

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Kudos to @wordsmith, I received my Bagster seat and within 24 hrs. I have put just under 250 mi on it. Started off this morning with winter riding  paints with it being  34 F out. The paints are pretty slippery and I do slide into the tank with the stock seat, I'm happy to report no tank humping problems👍. The ride included stop and go traffic, highway (only choice) and twisty back country roads. With just under 6 hours saddle time and 20 minutes off the bike for gas and hot dogs, I'm very happy with the comfort of the seat. I probably only had to stand up on the pegs for numb butt half a dozen times, compared to the stock seat, I was playing trials rider after about 30 minutes. I'm sure the seat will get even better once it is broken in. 

• Thumbsup 3

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member

In the process of ordering my Bagster seat for my GT.  Was going to get Bultex foam in riders seat,but don't know how that affects the height of the seat. Can anybody advise,please ?

Kenny.

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, Kenny A. said:

In the process of ordering my Bagster seat for my GT.  Was going to get Bultex foam in riders seat,but don't know how that affects the height of the seat. Can anybody advise,please ?

Kenny.

@Kenny A., I don't think it would affect the seat height much. I ordered the basic seat that Chromeburners sells. I wasn't sure how to modify the seat through Cromeburners, but I'm real happy with the seat I received.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

@Kenny A., I don't think it would affect the seat height much. I ordered the basic seat that Chromeburners sells. I wasn't sure how to modify the seat through Cromeburners, but I'm real happy with the seat I received.

Thanks for that,that's all I need to know.

Been quoted €351 + shipping. 4 week turnaround.  Happy with that.👍🙂

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

On 11/18/2019 at 4:06 AM, wordsmith said:

Here are pix.   Front rider seat in high position (pic #1): and lower (pic #2), which is how I have it.   

Pic #3 higher, side-on and pic #4 , lower side-on.   According to the Manual, difference between high and low is a mere 15mm or 5/8th of an inch.   I can flat-foot on both settings.   And a moan if I may - has anyone ever seen a more fiddly and less elegant mechanism than the plastic height-adjusting part under the front seat - it's a joke!

P1060085.JPG

P1060086.JPG

P1060088.JPG

P1060087.JPG

I think these side on pics clearly show what is one of the major problems with (any) of the seats on the GT.

The edges of the "pointy angled"  plastic panels irritate my inner thighs almost as much as the OEM seat does my aris.

Where the bloody hell do your inner thighs touch the plastic panels, fifer?   Have you considered surgery??  🙄

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Kenny A. said:

Forgot to say that price quoted has  v.a.tax @ 20% to be added to total.

Touch wood, we non-EU residents avoid that VAT tax, which considerably reduces the overall cost after shipping is included.