The "Did You Know?" Thread

Please add any tips or tricks you might have, 

2015 - FJ09,

Mirror, Did you know that the right hand mirror stem is left hand threads, found this while installing mirror extensions. 

Chain, Did you know the distance between center of 16 pins on your chain is a maximum of 239.3 mm (9.42 in). if it is greater than that, time to replace. 

Edited by foxtrot722
  • Thumbsup 3

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, foxtrot722 said:

2015 - FJ09,

Mirror, Did you know that the right hand mirror stem is left hand threads, found this while installing mirror extensions.

Wish I had known that a year ago!  Found out the hard way. 😪

This has been a Yamaha quirk for years and years; I don't know if the other OEMs do it. A LH thread on the right mirror means that if it gets hit from the front - tip-over, crash, too close to a minivan - it folds back, instead of breaking, or ripping out the threads.

You'll notice that the securing nut on the RH mirror has a small slit cut into each wrench flat; this is an indicator that it's a left-hand thread.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 1
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, TTR Ignition said:

This has been a Yamaha quirk for years and years; I don't know if the other OEMs do it. A LH thread on the right mirror means that if it gets hit from the front - tip-over, crash, too close to a minivan - it folds back, instead of breaking, or ripping out the threads.

You'll notice that the securing nut on the RH mirror has a small slit cut into each wrench flat; this is an indicator that it's a left-hand thread.

It certainly makes sense why they do it that way when I actually think about it.  I'm getting a bit slow on the uptake in my old age 🙄

Also didn't know the clue was in the small slit cut.  Another learned thing today!  Thanks  @TTR Ignition.  That's a "Did you Know" in itself.

Apparently the small notch in the nut that indicates reverse thread is a universal thing, not confined to Yamaha.

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 7 months later...

jeez!! ive nearly rounded the nut trying to take this off to refit the handguards, tried applying heat as well!!  i just gave up.

thought i was going mad or some serious metal reaction going on to seize it solid.

i wish i had researched this further...:-((

Edited by fenj66
spelling