High flow air filter

FigJam-OhNine

GYTR and K&N (possibly others) make a high flow air filter for the FJ. Anyone have experience with them on this bike or others? Does it make a difference? I figure you probably have to remove the gas tank to install it, but I've not seen a how to on that yet, so is it tough? 

This would be a great topic for one of the tuning shops to post on. It would be great to know if the hi-flow air filter is good for any substantial power gain, as verified on a dyno.

No powergain on the FZ-09, it has been tested and the stock FZ-09 airfilter flows alot of air.

FJ-09, same engine, but ya could have a different filter. Not sure.

This would be a great topic for one of the tuning shops to post on. It would be great to know if the hi-flow air filter is good for any substantial power gain, as verified on a dyno.
No powergain on the FZ-09, it has been tested and the stock FZ-09 airfilter flows alot of air.  

Per the Yamaha Canada website, the FZ-09 uses the same GYTR high flow air filter part number.  
So, sounds like it's more of a placebo pill than a useful upgrade ;) Thanks @cruizin 

FJ-09.org - Navigating FJ owners through marketing BS since 2014

• Premium Member
I would think you would need to get the ECU remapped to remove the restrictions you are encumbered with in North America before this would have any useful effect.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

No gain on the FZ-09, with the same basic motor and filter as the FJ?   *Boom* this forum membership  just paid for itself with the cost savings!

Yamaha makes a hi-flo filter for it too.  Seems to produce a little more intake sound and that's about it.

Hi-flow air filter $85

1RC-E41D0-V0-00

FJ-09(2015)

2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Hmm.  From what I have read the USA-spec ECU softens power in the top 3 gears, so IF there is a power gain from this filter, it should show up in the bottom 3 gears, no?
Sounds like this could be a project for the guys over at Bazzaz - their Z-bomb was very nice to have on my VFR12. Tricked the ECU into thinking (electronically) that it was always in the most powerfully-tuned gear, no matter what mechanical gear you were in. Woke it right up. Full power in any gear. Woo!
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

Try researching the net about disadvantage of high air flow filters...................more contamination passes the filter and enters engine. If you live in dusty areas or ride in such environment beware. Is the power gain (?) worth dust getting sucked in the engine. Unless you are racing and every second counts I would not bother.

• 2 years later...
Both the FZ and FJ share same airbox...FZ-09 forum did some test and serious mods to airbox thats its not even worth the effort for such a small gain and the cost of getting a fuel controller is needed...stock airbox is excellent unless you are going the turbo route...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Designing a well tuned air box means maximizing air density. That kind of math is similar to designing a shape in a musical instrument or a speaker. The air must behave as designed to create the proper sound. Since Yamaha also makes musical instruments and speakers, I also trust them to design an excellent air box.

'15 FJ09

There are other threads reporting that removing the foam that is on the bottom of the gas tank improves air flow and gives 3 to 4 extra hp at higher rpms. If that foam is the restrictive factor, maybe a high flo air filter would help more if the foam is removed.

Archived