Paralysis by analysis crash protection edition

• Premium Member

My first gen Higdonion cage has developed a crack in a weld and I’m looking for a new, combo solution and am having difficulty pulling the trigger.  I want to decide before Black Friday sales begin.

i find three types of protection:

sliders

AAA53749-3420-437D-AB90-D2321E5F503A.png

50CD141E-7BA8-470B-9D6D-3896073B101C.png

EF43832C-87B2-4DD7-AF60-6054682AB431.png

C6ACC99E-CF73-41DE-9ADF-723C10B6F071.pngCrash bars

52255315-AD52-406A-A112-10E1DC465A89.png

1FAB3FAF-B463-41E8-9E4B-3759B69F9A17.png

And engine case covers

41A8BD3E-BF0C-4FB7-B780-3EB8FE13A1E5.png

My question is what combination of the 3 types provides enough coverage?  Two seems enough, having  all seems like overkill.  Users seem generally happy with all based on reviews. 

I am leaning toward sliders and a crash bar (SW Motech also make one).  Regardless I’ll need to address my 2015 design oil pan.  Any input appreciated.

9CFC5368-38A0-4B4A-BECD-3D9CE2F2F4DE.png

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Hey @rustyshackles - I didn’t notice this thread when you first posted.   This is a highly subjective topic, since everyone is probably looking for something a little different in the protection/style/cost trade off.   

I’m not a fan of the big crash bars & cages, mostly due to cosmetic reasons:   My FJ is stripped down a bit to move away from the ADV look, and the cages & bars just seem like overkill in weight & complexity.  Again, your mileage may vary.  

I have the Evotech sliders on mine.  I think they look good, and seem like they would offer enough protection to be useful in a low speed tip over.   If you throw one down the road at 60+ mph, I wouldn’t expect anything to really ‘save’ the bike from some level of damage...  

Your thread title says it all:  You can analyze this to death, or pick what feels right & go with it.   Hopefully you won’t ever need to test them out, regardless.   

-Scott 

i have had both the shogun sliders and now the givi bars.  never had to use them yet ...but with the shoguns i could put my feet up there like a highway peg for a short time( feet kept sliding off) which was useful.  but like scott says about the appearance of the bars...they can be a bit ugly.  for me, ugly won over looks for the givi bars for one main reason...ease of adding highway pegs which, for me, are a godsend on long trips.  looking to add some lights in the near future so that is where they would get mounted.

• Thumbsup 1

I had the engine protectors that go between the mounts, when my bike fell over the lower engine cases were damaged. I have a full side cover now.

20180720-JOD_8014.jpg

20190106-DSC01521.jpg

Edited by jdavis
  • Thumbsup 1

I have the sw-motech crash pads. I personally opted for these as i really don't like the look of crash bars, and, was worried about loss of ground clearance when cornering during spirited riding.  I also felt that given the height and weight of the bike i wouldn't feel comfortable with the bike falling on a single point (crash bobbin)

The Sw-motech's look very nice but i am not sure they would actually hit the ground and leave enough space to stop the engine guards sustaining damage.  The T-rex ones looked nice but at the time t-rex couldn't guarantee they would fit the GT and it was too expensive a risk to take with shipping and tax.

Regarding the sw-motech crash bar; be warned that someone on here had posted that when their bike fell over it still sustained damage to the lower casings

70263011_10162338805395191_6695770180997349376_o.jpg

Edited by bugie
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Purchased my FJ used, so previous owner already installed crash bars and sliders. No issues with any of the gear, so far.  In a previous post saw the crashbars mounted on my FJ. Front axle sliders are easy to remove when removing front axle. Have not used a rear paddock stand with the rear sliders since the FJ has a centerstand.

IMG_0654-L.jpg

5 hours ago, bugie said:

I have the sw-motech crash pads. I personally opted for these as i really don't like the look of crash bars, and, was worried about loss of ground clearance when cornering during spirited riding.  I also felt that given the height and weight of the bike i wouldn't feel comfortable with the bike falling on a single point (crash bobbin)

The Sw-motech's look very nice but i am not sure they would actually hit the ground and leave enough space to stop the engine guards sustaining damage.  The T-rex ones looked nice but at the time t-rex couldn't guarantee they would fit the GT and it was too expensive a risk to take with shipping and tax.

Regarding the sw-motech crash bar; be warned that someone on here had posted that when their bike fell over it still sustained damage to the lower casings

70263011_10162338805395191_6695770180997349376_o.jpg

if my givi bars touched the ground....i would have already crashed.   .....and yes i do agree they are sorta ugly...luckley for me i have gotten used to them.

2 hours ago, stumpy said:

if my givi bars touched the ground....i would have already crashed.   .....and yes i do agree they are sorta ugly...luckley for me i have gotten used to them.

I was worried the lower part of the bar closest to the lower mounting screw would touch before the foot pegs would; thus causing you to crash. Am not sure if this would intact be the case though

Edited by bugie

2 hours ago, bugie said:

I was worried the lower part of the bar closest to the lower mounting screw would touch before the foot pegs would; thus causing you to crash. Am not sure if this would intact be the case though

they're tucked up there pretty good