Graves Exhaust Review

Larz

With a little over 1K on the pipe, figured I'd do up a little review.

"Dude, It's fukin' bitchen' : looks bitchen, sounds even bitchener (sic)".

well there 'ya go😎

Ok, seriously now. It's nice pipe-  Titanium-whole thing weighs about 6lbs. It's very well turned out, even the welds look perfect. And the sound is a deep rumble at idle that becomes a screaming Jet Engine roar as the RPMs climb. Powerwise, a very noticeable increase above 6k, a bit boggy from 3k-4.5 K ( Ivan's flash is tuned for an Akropovic full system, quite a different design from the Graves). And the coloring as the Titanium has aged is a beautiful hue of  blue.

And it's damn expensive, couple of hundered more than other offerings. The carbon fiber can is, erh, fragile. Something hit the bottom of the can and tore a hole in the cover ( don't think it's  real carbon fiber). The fitment leaves something to be desired: you have to cobble up an adapter or use a different mounting point and some spacers for the muffler bracket in order to clear the center stand. That last point pisses me off- supposed to fit out of the box, and damn well should for the amount of coin Graves be asking.

Overall, a very nice performance pipe. Bit loud for touring( should be wearing ear plugs anyways). Gets admiring looks from sportbike types all the time.

IMG_20191118_171231.jpg

IMG_20191118_171130.jpg

IMG_20191118_171135.jpg

IMG_20191118_171143.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There will be a full rainbow of colors one day 😅 on the headers... Mine took like a good hard 5k miles... 

I had mine tuned via 2WDW( used Woolich Software)...they used the shop bike which was a FZ-09 with Graves Exhaust... 

I feel when using the 'baffle" the low rpm power feeling is much more noticeable than running w/o baffle... running w/o baffle has a better midnight-redline power feeling than running with baffle..nice bonus is the same tune is good for with or without the baffle...

Psst!!! I see missing header springs 🧐

• Thumbsup 4
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

@norcal616  cool man, how aboutz some pics of da Graves rainbow😃.

Those header springs, yeah, guess it would look better with. Don't have any exhaust leaks without 'em, re-torgued the flange nuts after a few heat cycles; they for the track&strip,eh? ( shit, I just ran out to the garage and put the little fukers on 🙄 does look better). 

Yeah, you do know that the FZ&FJ (now MT-09) have a different ECU than the Tracer GT,eh? Graves doesn't have a flash for the GT and Woolich just came out with one for it. Of course, if I'd done my due diligence, would have queried Ivan regarding how the GT he built his on was setup, beforehand. Notwithstanding that I intended to run a Scorpion can with his flash originally; the Graves was a 3 am decision when that plan went sideways. If I'd known he ran an Akropovic, I would have saved some coin and gone that way instead. But the Graves is a "cooler" pipe. 

@tojjer I'll see what I can do about putting up some audio 

• Thumbsup 1

@Larz- yes the ECU may be different but they copied the "map values" and transferred the "values" to my ECU... I will try to grab a picture when I can as bike is currently sitting with no wheels or suspension to wheel it outside for some pictures...

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 3:59 PM, norcal616 said:

@Larz- yes the ECU may be different but they copied the "map values" and transferred the "values" to my ECU... I will try to grab a picture when I can as bike is currently sitting with no wheels or suspension to wheel it outside for some pictures...

right, that's what they do; build a map with a bike on a dyno ( hopefully a little actual street riding as well) "can" the map and "flash" that map into customer's ECUs 👍- just pointing out there are lot's of maps for FZ/FJs out there, not so much for GTs yet.

Had my bike dynoed at a performance shop ( MV Augusta dealer- nice bikes $$$; tuned my stock suspension, offered good deal on Andreani carts) .

No baseline #s for comparison, so who knows how many HP/Lbs gained with the Graves. Bike pulls unintended wheelies now, got more fer sure 😲

I'll have update my blurb on Ivan's flash in light of the dyno run

Enjoy the new bike, again😅... seriously these rules/regs Yamaha gotta follow mask the true power of these motors...

Them headers are heavy eh?? 

BTW--The springs pull the header pipe into that exhaust port flange since they slip on to the header..the flange gets bolted to the exhaust port but it don't clamp/secure the header pipe from popping out, that's what the springs are for...

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Larz said:

Had my bike dynoed at a performance shop

No baseline #s for comparison, so who knows how many HP/Lbs gained with the Graves.😲

@Larz - What were your final numbers from the dyno run?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@betoney 109/62    ambient temp: 103  elv: 1237'

I expected 115 or so  : (  based on magazine articles and other bikes reported numbers on other Dynos. Without a baseline for my bike (not another bike on another Dyno) who knows how much gained or even lost?  Being slightly paranoid and inclined towards a cynical view of the venal nature of peeps, in general, I would have suspected some "hanky-panky" with the Dyno calibration. Except they want to sell me suspension components. And the Dyno guy is a pretty straight shooter- solid rep with the local Beemer crowd. We had good talk- said same thing as Ivan- want more, smoother torque and HP curves, Dyno tune with a Power Commander now. Get 2-3 more ponies, maybe 2 MPGs ( better gas mileage is tempting, but for another $700)? His opinion, spend $ on suspension, instead.

I was bummed until he showed me #s from a 2017 FZ- 09 with Vcyclenut flash and a Akropovic: 111/63 on their Dyno before a adding a PC and Dyno tune- made 114/64 after. 

• Thumbsup 1

21 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Enjoy the new bike, again😅... seriously these rules/regs Yamaha gotta follow mask the true power of these motors...

Them headers are heavy eh?? 

BTW--The springs pull the header pipe into that exhaust port flange since they slip on to the header..the flange gets bolted to the exhaust port but it don't clamp/secure the header pipe from popping out, that's what the springs are for...

Must take a lot to "pop" out them, man. I've hammered the shit out of my bike for close 1k miles with no leaks or discernible movement of the headers. But I'll take your word for it ( doesn't seem to run any better with them on...)

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Larz said:

We had good talk- said same thing as Ivan- want more, smoother torque and HP curves, Dyno tune with a Power Commander now. Get 2-3 more ponies, maybe 2 MPGs ( better gas mileage is tempting, but for another $700)? His opinion, spend $ on suspension, instead.

@Larz - You could spend a lot of money chasing a few more ponies but the important thing (to me at least) is a smooth linear power curve and proper operating AFR.

I agree with his opinion on suspension, a properly setup bike will enable you to be a safer, faster rider who is in total control.  You will be able to hold a line through a corner at higher speeds with the tires firmly planted to the pavement and without the chassis diving and wallowing.  You have heard the terms "cutting like a scalpel" or "tracking like a slot-car".

1 hour ago, Larz said:

@norcal616Have you had your bike on a Dyno?

I agree it takes quite a bit to pop the headers out but, I was just explaining why the springs are used there...,

No my bike has never been on a dyno, I don't have/see a need for it...

Only what the 2WDW shop bike put out on the dyno... the tune was built using Woolich... IIRC it was like 120whp/65tq... found a dyno graph for FTech... I went with Woolich software at the time since FTech didn't have a QS that works on both up/down shift and the price/value was hard to beat for the same price as FTech and with Woolich offering more features/goodies to play with, it won me over...

Nowadays I would go the Ftech ActiveTune route, which is like having a tuner ride with you 24/7 making realtime adjustments to the map to meet the values that were set...

The dyno tunes are only good as the dyno tuners experience/knowledge with that motor in my experience... some make good everyday riding maps, some make good race maps, etc... I'm not bashing any tuner in particular... 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
48 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Nowadays I would go the Ftech ActiveTune route, which is like having a tuner ride with you 24/7 making realtime adjustments to the map to meet the values that were set...

I have the Active Tune and really like it but did need to send my ECU in to get it "activated" to work with the Active Tune.

Another interesting new product that is very similar. - Dynojet Power Vision

3071_46.jpg?quality=70&fit=bounds&height

No matter your brand of motorcycle or style of riding, our fuel tuners can...

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I have the Active Tune and really like it but did need to send my ECU in to get it "activated" to work with the Active Tune.

Another interesting new product that is very similar. - Dynojet Power Vision

3071_46.jpg?quality=70&fit=bounds&height

No matter your brand of motorcycle or style of riding, our fuel tuners can...

Didn't you send in your ECU to have it adjusted for your Scorpion can, despite the Active Tune?