Strange squeaking noise

Started my 6500 mile ‘15 up the other morning and got a strange squeaking noise at idle.  It is not a cam chain noise but more of a squeaky wheel needing grease sort of noise. In 45 years of motorcycles I have never heard a similar noise coming from an engine.  Does not seem to increase with rpm and it gets better when engine warms up.  Sort of sounds like a fan belt on an old car prior to serpentine belts.  Cam chain tensioner? Sticking clutch plates? Water pump?  I’m open for suggestions because I’m stumped. 

Edited by Guest

• Supporting Member

@donk  My first guess would be the clutch, it is notoriously noisy. 

Interestingly, I took mine to the dealer to have them take a peak at it and they said the clutch basket was ever so slightly out of round with uneven wear marks.  They replaced it under warranty and I haven't heard the noise since.

That is one of the reasons that I support my local dealer, they always take care of me and don't blow it off as normal wear and tear.   They have also done warranty replacements on the front brake calipers and 12v accessory socket.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hard to tell without being there but my guess is clutch as @betoney mentioned.

Cam Chain Tension (CCT) is more of a rattle and nothing really in there to cause a squeak like a belt.

Would help in troubleshooting (guessing) to try to determine where or which side of the engine the noise is coming from.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Next time you start the engine and hear the noise, grab the clutch lever and hold it in, see if the sound you hear changes. 

You've owned the bike since new and never heard this sound before? Another words, you’ve just noticed it all of a sudden? Or was it always there but less pronounced?

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

• Supporting Member

@donk Get your self a mechanics stethoscope and put it on the engine and move it around when you hear the noise It will let you pin point where the noise is coming from.  

He who dies with the most toys wins.

So I finally had few minutes to mess with the bike.  Fired it up and same squeaking noise, pulled clutch in and noise went away.  Rode bike for a mile and noise is gone.  I think it was sticking clutch plates. Going to let it sit for a while, it’s winter, and see if it happens again.  Thanks everyone for your input.  

Edited by Guest