2nd valve check @ 44,000 miles

betoney

• Supporting Member
41 minutes ago, betoney said:

My first valve check was at 23k and all of the exhaust valves were tight, this time all of the valves were within spec.

Did you ask your dealer for measured values?

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, piotrek said:

Did you ask your dealer for measured values?

@piotrek - I had just got back into town after being gone all day.  When they said the clearances were within spec and didn't need any shims this time, I didn't question it further.  I just loaded it in the truck and drove home.

Honestly, he could have rattled off a lot of technical jargon and I wouldn't have known the difference.  I know "in spec" or "out of spec".

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Good to hear!  When I checked mine at 22k miles ALL were very tight and I had to re-shim them all. Flushed and changed the coolant too.  Went with iridium plugs and the OEM were like new.  I hope everything is good too when I check again also at 44k, which is only 10k away! .  Plumbed hoses to the TB ports so I check sync easypeasy any time.  I use an old fashioned mercury manometer but also have a TwinMax.  Last check they were still dead nuts on but I guess now I'll have to check cuz a you...

• Like 1

"Imodium plugs"?! Quick dissolve, or chewable? 🤣

Edited by TTR Ignition
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 5
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

Whatever keeps the exhaust pipe free-flowing!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 2
TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
Plug 'n' Play Quick Shifter Kits for FJ-09 US$150 + $15 shipping - In Stock
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll     Email

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This whole valve check thing might be marketing. It sells more bikes when you see "no valve checks needed till 24k miles.

There have been many bikes that needed a valve check at the 600 mile maint. check and people complained, and less of these bikes sold.

It's now looking like the clearances ARE tightening up WELL before 24k miles. During this time your warranty has expired and you have no leg to stand on. 

My last 2 Honda's (CBR1100XX and ST1300) had 16k as the first valve check.  I checked the XX 3 times and the valves never changed in 85k miles. The ST I checked twice no change in 65k miles. All in spec.

I'm wondering if there is less care on the Yamaha line and the valve clearances aren't correct from production.

I also wonder if the new emissions regs. are causing lean running on the ragged edge making the valves too hot and causing all these problems.

I already paid for my 2WDW ECU reflash and I will be checking my valves early. Haven't decided how early yet. Might even go with 10k miles.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, peteinpa said:

There have been many bikes that needed a valve check at the 600 mile maint. check and people complained, and less of these bikes sold.

It's now looking like the clearances ARE tightening up WELL before 24k miles. During this time your warranty has expired and you have no leg to stand on.

I wasn't aware of ANY of the CP3 bikes being out of spec within the first 600 miles.  There have been many reports of the first scheduled valve check having exhaust valves at or out of spec on the tight side. 

My 2nd check was @ 44k with all in spec, I will stick with about a 20-22k interval for now and if the 3rd check (around 65k) is still in spec, I will increase the interval. 

Like your previous Honda's, my brothers 919 has 55k on the odo and never been checked, my previous FZ1 was checked at 30k and 60k and never needed adjustment.  I'm not sure if the tight exhaust valves are only the initial check, time will tell.

• Thumbsup 1

There have been various makes and models through the years that called for a valve check at 600 miles. Pissed people off with a $400 bill at 600 miles.

Now here we have FZ07, FZ09, FJ09, etc. that calls for no valve check till ~24k miles. So of course nobody checks till then so we don't know what happened when.

• Premium Member

As I reportred above, all my valves were extremely tight at 22k miles.  Installed an APE manual CCT when buttoning up. Checked again at only about 10k later and all were OK. I to am going to keep checking ever 20k +/- miles.

Betoney, why don't you do your own maintenance?  You seem like a handy guy.

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/20/2019 at 7:57 PM, betoney said:

I just picked up my bike from the shop after having them do the 2nd valve check @ 44,000 miles.  They also changed the spark plugs and coolant and synced the throttle bodies.

My first valve check was at 23k and all of the exhaust valves were tight, this time all of the valves were within spec.  I actually went in back and talked with the mechanic, the same guy who adjusted them the first time.  He said everything looked good with the valves, there was nothing he was concerned with and he didn't see the need in altering my service interval. 

The plugs looked good as well, at over 21k he said the center electrode tips were just starting to lose their sharp edge.

Throttle body sync just needed a slight tweak on one cylinder, not sure what brand tool they use but he said "one cylinder was 1-2 bars off".

Not too much to report, I'm glad everything checked and looked good.  I don't have to worry about it again for another year and a half.

Hey @betoney,  what was the finally bill for that service?  I will need the exact same thing in a few K miles.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
Just now, nhchris said:

Hey @betoney,  what was the finally bill for that service?  I will need the exact same thing in a few K miles.

I don't remember 'exactly' but budget for somewhere around $400-$500 depending on your service centers hourly rate.  Just for my own peace of mind, I remove all of the front plastics down to the gas tank before I deliver the bike, - less chance of any parts getting lost or damaged and the service manager is grateful.