Oregon - 4th Annual Last Ride of the Year (NEW LOCATION!)

keithu

yeah...just depends if it's wet or not  I'm 72,  and I do NOT ride in the rain ....

taking a cold home to my invalid Wife is not something I will do....

• Thumbsup 1

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

Actually Keithu, I'm a lot better looking than that ....  that guy is my old, reprobate illusionary self....😎

had a great ride guys, and the ride back was AWESOME, dryer, and warmer.....

• Thumbsup 2

BugsinTeeth........

"Peace is that time when everyone stands around reloading" . . . . Thomas Jefferson

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, betoney said:

Glad you guys were able to meet up for a ride, we had monsoon level rains and gusting winds. 😥

That stuff rolled in later here. I heard there was going to be huge surf along the coast, so after lunch I decided to ride north along US-101 into the storm. I rode up to the top of Cape Perpetua, where you can look almost straight down 800 feet to the shoreline below. I was basically at cloud level and the wind was rushing up the face of the cliff at ~40-50 knots. Not everyone's idea of a great ride, I know, but this old sailor found it bracing. 

2019_1231_13365200.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, joeszup said:

Well, I had every intention of showing up.  My carpal tunnel in my left arm said "no".  Can barely pull in my clutch.  :(  

No bueno. Heal quickly!

• 2 months later...

Keith and gang, I am sorry I was unable to show up for this ride! I look forward to it even though it can be tough weather. But, I was in Scotland attending my daughters Wedding. No more daughters to marry off, so I will certainly be there next year! And you are right about location, a little distance makes it even better. How about an early one... First ride of Summer? IMG_0917.thumb.jpeg.2c1056cdc6f67a0af7ed89e331ce3c30.jpeg

Here is a picture Of Robyn and Neil..IMG_0917.thumb.jpeg.2c1056cdc6f67a0af7ed89e331ce3c30.jpeg

OOPS, In my excitement for a ride I simply spaced out on the current situation...

However, Perhaps we could plan a ride to someplace where we could meet up, bringing our own lunches, and agree to maintain social distancing as we bench race and BS?

Maybe the Elk Sanctuary at Jewell or some such isolated place?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/25/2020 at 4:25 PM, huck said:

OOPS, In my excitement for a ride I simply spaced out on the current situation...

However, Perhaps we could plan a ride to someplace where we could meet up, bringing our own lunches, and agree to maintain social distancing as we bench race and BS?

Maybe the Elk Sanctuary at Jewell or some such isolated place?

Sorry I missed this post until just now. Congratulations to you and your daughter!

A ride up to Jewell sounds great, and with my new aux fuel setup I can easily get there and back without and fuel stops.

Got a date in mind? I'm still working M-F. I did my "on call" duty this weekend so I should be free on weekends for a while.

Hi Keith-and all, I guess we could cal this the Spring Physical Distancing Experimental Ride During a Time of Plague. Appropriate distancing while riding is not a problem. The Elk sanctuary at Jewell is sufficiently off the beaten track to insure a lack of a crowd. If we all bring a lunch and agree to the 6 foot protocol it should be OK-No one will laugh if you wear a mask (We can share how to use regular household items to make them!). I would also suggest keeping helmets and gloves on during gassing up, and perhaps using effective wipes on those gloves and credit cards after the fact... Sigh, this is riding in a time of plague... But I use the concept of physical distancing rather than social distancing as maintaining social contact is seriously necessary, while staying safe and well by doing the physical distancing. Riding is for most of us a lot more than a form of transportation. It is an integral part of who we are and what our live are all about... Something we can talk about while sharing some time at the really beautiful Elk sanctuary, after an invigorating ride on some of least traveled and most interesting roads around here. 

How about Saturday 4/18 with an arival time of about noon... Subject to anyone's other suggestion in this regard. This is a really tough time for everyone, I hope such a ride and meet-up (Subject to thoughtful and appropriate distancing protocols) will help add a little normalcy (Well as "Normal" as being confirmed motorcycle nut cases allows) to our otherwise truncated lives. If interested, please comment here. But please make sure to note that we are serious about staying safe and well and protecting our families, so, while ogling the bikes and sharing MC BS, we will scrupulously maintain physical (Though assuredly not social) separation. If like me, you need a ride and some human society, let's do this.  

Where it is and how to get there: 

https://myodfw.com/jewell-meadows-wildlife-area-visitors-guide

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, keithu said:

Sorry I missed this post until just now. Congratulations to you and your daughter!

A ride up to Jewell sounds great, and with my new aux fuel setup I can easily get there and back without and fuel stops.

Got a date in mind? I'm still working M-F. I did my "on call" duty this weekend so I should be free on weekends for a while.

I love riding in that area, Apiary, Vernonia, Mist, Jewell, Clatscanie. - Jealous! 

My favorite is North from Tillamook through Garibaldi on Miami-Foley Rd and Necanicum Highway.👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Agreed. I like to stop in at Garabaldi for fish and chips, then take the Miami road to where it hits 53, then 53 over the mountain to 26, and back to Beaverton from there.

Likely I will come at Jewell by way of the scappoose Vernonia road to 47, and 47 to Jewell. If time permits, after our meet-up and lunch, Maybe continue out 47 all the way to Astoria. Lots of ways back to Beaverton from there... I haven't decided. Sadly all my favorite coffee spots will be closed, but a full thermos and a few of the amazing and beautiful scenery spots along the way will have to suffice.

Wish you could come along.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1