Oregon - 4th Annual Last Ride of the Year (NEW LOCATION!)

keithu

One more quick note.

One of the pleasures of living in and touring around in Oregon, and the NW in general, is the wonderful opportunities for observing our abundant wildlife. The Jewell Wildlife Sanctuary boasts one of the largest herds of Roosevelt Elk in the US, and April is optimum viewing season. While we must maintain physical distance during this difficult time, the elk don't. In fact, if we are lucky, we will see some very large herds on the open meadows of the preserve. Something not to be missed.

P9080018.jpeg

P9080008.jpeg

P9080006.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

@huck, looking at the map it appears there is a small parking area on the east side of the meadow, and a larger paved area on the north end of the meadow. Which one do you want to meet at? 

The larger main paved Lot. It is complete with picnic tables, a large informational kiosk, indoor rest rooms, and large grassy public areas, even a small apple orchard planted for the benefit of the elk to nibble on... There is a large sign on the road. 

There is good open space for us to use and allow for physical separation, and ample paved parking to separate the bikes as well. Also very good viewing of the large main meadows if elk are present.

IMG_0366.jpeg

IMG_0424.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

5 hours ago, keithu said:

Sounds good. 

It looks familiar. Was that a stop on an Oregon 250 we rode with Becky and Butch? 

To me it looks like Dean Creek on the Umpqua Highway (38 I think). 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, maximo said:

To me it looks like Dean Creek on the Umpqua Highway (38 I think). 

OR-38 is a lot straighter and more open at the Dean Creek area. I was just there about a month ago. OR-38 is the raised roadbed in the background of this photo.

FJrack12.jpg

Jewell meadow is actually on Hwy 202. For a long way, 202 is also 47. It is in the mountains between Vernonia and Astoria! You can access 202 from a couple of places on Hwy 26, also from Scappoose and  Clatskanie, both on HWy 30. Take a look at map to find the best way for where you are coming from, all great fun, and lightly traveled roads.

Jewell Meadows Wildlife Area is located in the Oregon Coast Range...

Dean creek Elk Preserve (Also a yearly stop for Canada Geese) is way way south of there just outside of Reedsport! and yes, I think we did stop at Dean Creek on a 250 ride a few years ago. This place is much more isolated as 202 is not in any way a heavily traveled road like Hwy 38. 

I look forward to seeing you guys there.

And dude, your bike looks like a fuel tanker! How many miles can you get in total?

5:00am Saturday 4/18. Threat of rain seems to have diminished. Cooler then we might have wished, maybe a bit cloudy, but likely pretty dry. See you there. 

Although we will maintain the appropriate safe distance when we meet, if we are lucky we will see a crowd of elk.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, huck said:

5:00am Saturday 4/18. Threat of rain seems to have diminished. Cooler then we might have wished, maybe a bit cloudy, but likely pretty dry. See you there. 

Although we will maintain the appropriate safe distance when we meet, if we are lucky we will see a crowd of elk.

Yeah, unfortunately the weather radar shows rain is in the forecast😢, too bad you guys couldn't have met on Thursday or Friday - Gorgeous weather.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Now 8:15am. I just went outside and found the streets to completely wet. It is not raining, but it is that uniquely NW condition, we call: Wet Weather. So While not actually actively raining, the roads, at least here in Beaverton, are wet and likely will be so up in the mountains on the roads to Jewell. 

Keith, Since you have a bit further to ride than I do, I just wanted to see if you are still in. I'm game if you are. And of course anyone else that cares to join us. 

Edited by huck

It was a bit damp, but it turned out to be a good ride. Once off the Main Hwy, no traffic at all. Rain was off and on, and by and large the scenery was beautiful.

Keith and I had the Elk Sanctuary to our selves except for one noisy diesel pickup that stopped in to use the indoor restrooms.

I spotted a big bull elk patrolling the edge of the woods way off on the other side of the meadow, along with what I thought was a bunch of other elk reclining, also at the edge of the trees. Keith (Gently) pointed out that those might have been large bales of hay... On the way out I stopped at the road-side viewing area that was closer to them. I did spot the big bull patrolling again, but the rest of the herd were indeed, giant bales of hay. Geriatric eyes vs younger eyes. Oh well. One elk is better than none and it was an attractive herd of hay.

We had a good time, chatting, and eating our bag lunches, while maintaining the appropriate physical distancing and wondering why a little rain stops so many motorcyclists from riding 🤣 

GoreTex riding suit, gloves and boots, heated gear, and really good tires, considerably tame the wet. We had a good time.

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1