Tesla Cyber Truck starts at $39,000, up to 500 mile range, and an ATV?

Ok, My first response was UGLY. Then, I saw more and I kinda want one.  The features are amazing if you ride dirtbikes or ATV's. The tailgate has a freaking ramp built in it! The back lid opens up to a 6 1/2 foot bed! Fit most ATV's dirtbikes no problemo and again, leave the ramp at home because it has one built into the tailgate. 

Also, this truck has Air ride suspension. Raise it up to go offroad, up to 16" of ground clearance.  Lower it down to ride like a sports car. 

0-60 in 2.9 seconds.  

500 mile range on the top model that costs $60,000 before incentives/discounts. 

Scratch proof hardened stainless steel. They actually tested it with a sledge hammer, didn't leave a dent. 

It may be Ugly, but this is the most useful truck I have ever seen. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.29.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.41.02 PM.png

Tesla also announced their new ATV, no specs yet but it fits into the back of the Cyber Truck perfectly, the rider rode it right up the back of the Cyber Truck's built in ramp with ease. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.45.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.57.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.57.09 PM.png

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

6.5' bed with same length as F150 with 5.5' bed. Where was the length lost?

I'd be afraid of high curbs with those wheels, never mind dirt. Wondering what AT tires do to battery range.

I hope that's the lowered air suspension and not the weight of the ATV that is causing the back end to drop. 

3500' payload is well into F250 carrying capacity and close to F350 ratings. 

Stainless steel not aluminum?

All for $40k? The sticker price of a plain Jane 4x4 F150 supercrew is the same. 

Something doesn't add up.

I do think there are a lot of good ideas like the built in ramp, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

As a software sales guy, I really got a chuckle out of this... live demos don’t always go as planned.  

• Haha 1

I have now slept on it and there is no way I would buy that ugly thing. Cool features, I love the 16" of clearence and adjustable suspension , just not in that ugly truck thing.

I think that the traditional auto makers will be taking over the majority of the electric market in a few years anyways.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, koth442 said:

It's so ugly, it's kind of cool...

I kinda though that Pontiac Aztec was fugly and cool at the same time when it came out. A transformer of minivans at the time... but man, it was an eyesore.

• Haha 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, piotrek said:

I kinda though that Pontiac Aztec was fugly and cool at the same time when it came out. A transformer of minivans at the time... but man, it was an eyesore.

The Aztec was ugly, but it compensated for it by driving even worse.  :)    They were everywhere in the Hertz rental fleet back in their day (which happens with slow-selling models), and I used to dread getting one assigned.  

Not a bad concept, but horrible execution.  The Honda Element was an exponentially better take on the same theme.   

• Thumbsup 3

On 11/22/2019 at 10:42 AM, Cruizin said:

I have now slept on it and there is no way I would buy that ugly thing. Cool features, I love the 16" of clearence and adjustable suspension , just not in that ugly truck thing.

I think that the traditional auto makers will be taking over the majority of the electric market in a few years anyways.  

What's funny?  When I saw it, I was just... No.  Just no.

But having seen them driving, around other cars?  You know... I want one now.  It looks a lot better once you get it in a more real situation, and it definitely stands out.  Like buying a supercar - they're not really pretty, they're actually typically really weird looking.  But they stand out.  You really notice them right away. 

So long as it does what the spec sheet says it will, anyways.  If you're gonna stand out like that, you need to be able to "walk the walk".  That's ultimately what takes things from "Wow, that's ugly" to "Wow, that's awesome".  

I mean, history is littered with unique - ugly - vehicles that failed utterly, and those pretty much always go hand in hand with being terrible cars outside of their ugliness.  Much of the cybertruck's "ugliness" is in how wildly it departs from traditional truck styling.  So long as it does what it says on the tin, people will buy it - lots of people will buy it.  Once you start seeing them around, then it's going to be less jarring and more "Oh, hey, look at that!"

I'd argue that maybe the weird styling is a benefit, as traditional truck people will hate it, but traditional truck people are not really the target audience here.  If it performs as advertised, this gets people what amounts to a supercar in terms of head turning... But at a price a normal human can afford.  

• Premium Member
On 11/22/2019 at 6:40 AM, 1moreroad said:

6.5' bed with same length as F150 with 5.5' bed. Where was the length lost?

Probably rear seat space. And that would be fine with me, I bought a truck to haul stuff, not people. But I know I'm in the minority. Two years ago when I was looking for a half-ton pickup with a 6.5 bed, 4wd, and 9000+ lbs towing I felt like I was searching for a unicorn. The Ford, GM, Nissan, and Ram dealers around here only seem to stock crew cabs or stripped trucks with low towing. But strangely the Toyota dealers had plenty of trucks like I wanted, and so I have a Tundra.

The Tesla truck is almost perfect for what I need. The only real issue for me is figuring out how to recharge it after a week at elk camp in the middle of nowhere.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, BugsInTeeth said:

no red-blooded 'Merican that hunts would buy a electric truck ! ! !

I might. Although I'd have to bring along a Yamaha generator and some gas cans. 😀

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member

So I've continued to read about this. Lost length might be rear seat or more compact electric motor than ICE. 

The outside sheet metal is so angular for simplicity to keep mfg costs down. That suggests that it will be very heavy, which will impact range.