Running,starting engine on centre stand

Clicknow

I'd not heard of this, but a quick Google of it came up with this on the Tenere 1200 forum:

"I have a 2019 Tracer 900 GT and the same thing will happen. If the engine is idling with the bike on the centre stand the rear wheel turns even in neutral and that turns on the the engine light. Since 2017 this light can be turned off only with an OBD2 scanner with proper harness for Yamaha."

Edited by tojjer
  • Thumbsup 1

If you run it in gear on the center stand it will throw a code, and yes, only the dealer can clear the code on a 2019 GT.  

I had a code due to a blow fuse and it locked me out of the user menu and shut off the quick shifter.  Clearing the code put things back to normal.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I have run mine, 18 tracer, in 1st gear on centre stand for easy lubing but was told by dealer it will throw a code. Seems i got away with it, but since dealer visit I will spin wheel by hand, no biggy.

As said, only in gear issue.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, Dodgy Knees said:

I have run mine, 18 tracer, in 1st gear on centre stand for easy lubing but was told by dealer it will throw a code. Seems i got away with it, but since dealer visit I will spin wheel by hand, no biggy.

As said, only in gear issue.

I’ve done the same with my 2015 FJ, and have gotten away with it so far.   Nothing more than idling in first gear, and even then I half-expected it to throw an error code.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Hi all

I ran the bike through the gears whilst on the main stand, the fault code is in conjunction with running the engine in gear whilst the wheel does not drive the bike forward, the only way to correct the fault code is either a Yamaha dealer or having your own diagnostic tool

• Thumbsup 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/23/2019 at 2:08 PM, johnmark101 said:

If you run it in gear on the center stand it will throw a code, and yes, only the dealer can clear the code on a 2019 GT.  

I had a code due to a blow fuse and it locked me out of the user menu and shut off the quick shifter.  Clearing the code put things back to normal.

I have the same experience. I called to dealer and he confirmed it. I do not understand why it behaves like that. It looks like SW error, doesn't it? I used to use this way for chain maintenance (lubing) on my previous bikes without any problems. 

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, Mojmir said:

I have the same experience. I called to dealer and he confirmed it. I do not understand why it behaves like that. It looks like SW error, doesn't it? I used to use this way for chain maintenance (lubing) on my previous bikes without any problems. 

That is one of the benefits of the 'old' '15-'16 models, very easy to clear the code.

I run mine in gear on the center stand every single time I clean and lube the chain.  If it ever throws a code all you have to do is ride it a short distance, when the wheels synchronize the code is gone, its that simple.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 11/23/2019 at 7:59 AM, texscottyd said:

I’ve done the same with my 2015 FJ, and have gotten away with it so far.   Nothing more than idling in first gear, and even then I half-expected it to throw an error code.  

I idle mine in 1st to lube also......no code, 2015 red. Maybe because it's red.   😅

• Like 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 1moreroad said:

Does that mean if a Tracer got airborne it would throw a code and you couldn't use the quick shifter?

Killjoy.

There's only one way to know for sure... all in the name of science!  😎👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***