Running,starting engine on centre stand

Clicknow

• Supporting Member
On 3/11/2020 at 1:10 PM, Wintersdark said:

Is it a GT, or an FJ09?

FJ... not a single error code in four years. I don't apply any throttle when I do this, if that makes a difference.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 5 months later...

I changed my battery and ended up with an engine fault light. The local dealer did not have the proper cable to check and reset the code. After waiting about a month I ended up ordering this off ebay from Great Britain. Worked perfectly

Yamaha FI, OBD2 fault code scanner diagnostic tool Tracer-900GT

35 minutes ago, GTO MIKE said:

As to lubing chain while running as to being safe . Do as you please but SAFE IT IS NOT! IMHO!

Well, it depends on how you do it.  If you're lubing by putting the bike in gear and letting it idle while you spray lube onto the chain, then it's perfectly safe.  Running a 3-way brush at the top of the sprocket is also safe, there's no pinch points at all.  

You just don't do anything with rags, and stay way away from the bottom length of chain and the bitey bitey sprocket.  

It's certainly something that can be done safely, but with the knowledge that if you do not do it safely, it'll chop off fingers very, very quickly.

• Thumbsup 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks to all for this awesome information, I  got my generic OBD Yamaha reader/reset tool yesterday, hooked it up this morning and I am now error code and engine light free. :) 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WastedMind3500 said:

@Ride365: what tool did you get?  Any reference would be great - since you have one that works - to save me research time :)

s-l400.jpg

For certain Yamaha motorbikes motorcycle ATV or similar...

is the adapter and a reader, but any reader will work just fine if you just get a 4 pin to ODB2 adapter:

s-l400.gif

Diagnostic 4 Pin to OBD2 OBDII Cable Harness Adapter for...

Ooops, I assumed you where in the US, so found ebay.com links.  Anyways, these are the ones you want.  You can't go wrong here, though.  

Ebay.ca links:

The blue code reader is great if you've got an iphone or an android phone, as it'll pair with them and you can use the Torque ODB2 app to scan/reset codes and monitor engine data live.  A better version is the ScanTool LX bluetooth adapter, as this little blue one can't be left plugged in or it'll eventually kill your battery (radio is on all the time) whereas the ScanTool adapter is a much better device and will go to sleep when the bike is turned off.  But it's much spendier than $6.  The handheld reader works fine, though, it's just less cool.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 1

I disconnected the battery to attache the cables for my Neutrino Element but it did not pull a code.  I did loose the time setting though.  That was a pain but I waited until the time changed and did all my vehicles at once.  

Funny story for you:  A year ago I was riding my Kymco scooter, oil light goes on.  I panic and pull over immediately, check oil level - it's fine!  Restart and still have light.  Called my wife and got her to come get me.  Does she drive my van (Ford Transit Connect passenger version)?  No "it's too big and hard to drive"  So she comes and pick me up in her Smart car and takes me home.  I take the van back and get the scooter - all the seats were in so it was a higher loading floor than normal plus so I had to take the mirrors off.  I get scooter home and am checking - thought let me read the manual and see what that light really means.  Oh!!!!!!!!!  It is an oil change reminder indicator!!!!!!  Sometimes it is a good thing to read the manual hahahah!!!!

EDIT:  As for lubing the chain I always do it with the bike in neutral and the engine off.

Edited by PhotoAl

2 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I disconnected the battery to attache the cables for my Neutrino Element but it did not pull a code.  I did loose the time setting though.  That was a pain but I waited until the time changed and did all my vehicles at once.  

Yeah disconnecting the battery won't pull a code.  Thankfully.  I disconnect mine all the time, it'd be such a PITA if that caused it to throw a code.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 6:08 AM, johnmark101 said:

If you run it in gear on the center stand it will throw a code, and yes, only the dealer can clear the code on a 2019 GT.  

I had a code due to a blow fuse and it locked me out of the user menu and shut off the quick shifter.  Clearing the code put things back to normal.

I've idled the bike (2019 GT) in gear on the center stand a number of times and never have seen a non clearable code that needs the dealer.  I've seen the TCS light flash maybe... but that's it.  (Similar to when I installed the front speed sensor incorrectly and it wasn't reading on the front wheel...)  Turn the bike off turn it on and good to go. 

Are people revving the bike up a bunch on the center stand in gear?

Edited by Clegg78

1 hour ago, Clegg78 said:

I've idled the bike (2019 GT) in gear on the center stand a number of times and never have seen a non clearable code that needs the dealer.  I've seen the TCS light flash maybe... but that's it.  (Similar to when I installed the front speed sensor incorrectly and it wasn't reading on the front wheel...)  Turn the bike off turn it on and good to go. 

Are people revving the bike up a bunch on the center stand in gear?

Turn off traction control......and it will happen. ;) 

• Thumbsup 1

50 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Turn off traction control......and it will happen. ;) 

So I misread earlier? people are getting MIL codes if they turn off traction control and spin the rear tire?!  that seems like a big f'n glitch!