Air scoop alignment question?? #pics#

madsquabbles

Hello forum once again. 
Anyone have any issues with the alignment of the “air” scoops surrounding the gas tank?  I picked up a used one recent and the right (brake) side doesn’t seem to line up in the front. It has heated grips so I assumed it has been removed before and not put back together correctly.  I removed the top plastic and side parts and it all seems to be in order.  With the exception of a gap near the front.  Body work and all bolts align well.  Am I missing something or anyone else have similar appearance with both sides not looking identical?  Nothing seems to bent, broken or missing.  Thanks in advance.  

FF51471B-1628-42A2-A59B-9340D9213009.jpeg

91794AEE-0AD8-47CA-9825-736CCA89D300.jpeg

Well that’s good to know I think.  I am pretty sure everything is lined up.  Everything seems to fit just fine and the side bolts and all are in place.  Just doesn’t match exactly like the cloth side does and seems to be a gap.  Thanks for the responses.  Just driving me little crazy.  Don’t see how it could fit any other way.  Almost like there is about 1/2” of fairing that should be there.  

24 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

There are a couple of tabs that take a moment to line up, but, no, the panels don't fit perfectly.  Double check the tabs, but otherwise you're ok.  Tabs are behind the "air scoop" side panel.

20191123_201351.jpg

Should look like this- might have to pull a few panels off and retry...almost looks like the headlight side cover is outta place or dig around a bit in that area- maybe some securing tabs are not pushed into rubber grommets or wires from heated gripes routed in a funny way... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

There is one fastener underneath that secures that panel to the front headlight. If you look carefully at the hole of the fairing that the screw goes into, you’ll see that it’s oblong. You can pull the fairing gently toward the light as you snug it down to adjust the gap between the panels, but not much. 

thats something Yamaha improved on in the later MT in 2019. 
I can snap a pic of the fastener if this is unclear.

-Skip

1 minute ago, skipperT said:

There is one fastener underneath that secures that panel to the front headlight. If you look carefully at the hole of the fairing that the screw goes into, you’ll see that it’s oblong. You can pull the fairing gently toward the light as you snug it down to adjust the gap between the panels, but not much. 

thats something Yamaha improved on in the later MT in 2019. 
I can snap a pic of the fastener if this is unclear.

-Skip

I think I know what your saying.  It’s a dark colored screw closest to the headlight?  I did try and snug up/ slightly move the bracket the screw goes into.  It seems to help some but ultimately the other holes have to line up.  It’s almost like everything lines up great but the fairing holes on the sides.  When those two are lines up the front comes up a little short.   Appreciate the feedback and suggestions.  Keep them coming 

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the top fairing bracket, sometimes these are slotted as well and you may be able to get a better fit if you loosen it off and realign.

I used to always do this when I was doing a smash repair at the shop to get the panels fitting nice and square.

7 minutes ago, Buggy Nate said:

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the top fairing bracket, sometimes these are slotted as well and you may be able to get a better fit if you loosen it off and realign.

I used to always do this when I was doing a smash repair at the shop to get the panels fitting nice and square.

Ok. Which bracket are you referencing?  I know hard to describe.  

Just a little update.  I found a few various threads here and there in the depths of the forum that reference the right side cowl gap where it meets the headlight.  Guess I can sleep in peace now knowing I am not alone and it’s just the FJ in its natural habitat it seems.   Thanks for the input everyone.