Screen knob, adjuster, screw and the force of gravity

• Premium Member
It was mentioned in this thread but that had a number of topics within so I have created a new topic here.

So, just a heads up as this is likely to happen to everyone at some point unless you take remedial action.

GRAVITY WILL GET YOUR KNOB

That's the knobs on either side of your screen you slacken off to make adjustments. They are done hand tight, are quite small and a little awkward to grasp, so you cannot really torque them up, especially if you have knackered thumb joints like me.

The thread has a circlip on the end but this is not man enough for the application and I have lost the left knob to gravity. I didn't notice until I went to replace my screen with this one 

I have now decided the screen will stay in one position so I have replaced the knob with an allen bolt which I can torque up tightly. The allen key under the seat fits the bolt should I need to make an adjustment. I think it looks neater than a lump of knurled plastic flapping about in the wind.

I have mentioned this to my dealer so he is going to raise a service report to Yamaha and ask them to provide a replacement. 

As mentioned in the other thread, a bit of Loctite will sort the problem. As would a blob of Araldite or a nyloc nut. Just anything to stop the adjuster falling out if it works loose as the circlip used by Yamaha either falls off or is not big enough to stop it passing through the hole. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
It was mentioned in this thread but that had a number of topics within so I have created a new topic here. 
So, just a heads up as this is likely to happen to everyone at some point unless you take remedial action.

That's the knobs on either side of your screen you slacken off to make adjustments. They are done hand tight, are quite small and a little awkward to grasp, so you cannot really torque them up, especially if you have knackered thumb joints like me.

The thread has a circlip on the end but this is not man enough for the application and I have lost the left knob to gravity. I didn't notice until I went to replace my screen with this one 

I have now decided the screen will stay in one position so I have replaced the knob with an allen bolt which I can torque up tightly. The allen key under the seat fits the bolt should I need to make an adjustment. I think it looks neater than a lump of knurled plastic flapping about in the wind.

I have mentioned this to my dealer so he is going to raise a service report to Yamaha and ask them to provide a replacement. 

As mentioned in the other thread, a bit of Loctite will sort the problem. As would a blob of Araldite or a nyloc nut. Just anything to stop the adjuster falling out if it works loose as the circlip used by Yamaha either falls off or is not big enough to stop it passing through the hole. 
In another post a few weeks ago, I posted about checking your knobs for loosness. Mine was almost all the way out. A good manly snug keeps it in place. At least for me. Ty and David have had no problems after snugging theirs also. Good info about the circlip. I took mine off to see why the right side is always loose, even when the knob is tight, and discovered the circlip is soft metal, not spring steel, so no wonder yours came off.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Drill and wire it?
That would work for the cir-clip, but not for the looseness. I like the rubber grommet idea with a washer.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I found the circlip today, when I was sweeping the garage floor. No knob to re-attach it to as I think that is in the local countryside somewhere. The allen bolt is still doing a fine job. The other knob is still present.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Allen bolts and blue loctite, then...
the hole is threaded but a bolt passes through and the rear is accessible, so I put a nyloc nut on the back

• 11 months later...

Hi,whats the diameter of the allen bolt you're currently using?Is it possible to use a wing nut as a replacement for the nyloc nut?

• Premium Member
No idea and yes. In Germany, bit pissed,bolt and nut came from the inherited cocoa tin...

• 3 weeks later...
So after stopping every ten miles to retighten my knob (particularly LH side).  I've "fixed" it thus:

I took the circlip off, and removed the whole screw assembly.   I took the knob off, took the L plate off and replaced it so it sits on the circlip side of the screw shoulder.

Replaced the knob, left the circlip off altogether, and screwed it back so the L is a no longer rattling around (WHAT was that about!!???) and providing a large frictional area.  Potentially, of course, it can now just fall off - but it hasn't. yet.

One thing that is really noticeable is that the screen is more rigid.    So far so good, no loosenessness to report now.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Ive been thinking about taking apart the front panels and trying to figure out a way to make that mount more rigid... I love that they made the windscreen easily adjustable, but hate how much play is inherently in the assembly. In addition to those knobs.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

One thing that is really noticeable is that the screen is more rigid.    So far so good, no loosenessness to report now.
If you're not prepared to take the whole assembly apart here's an easy way to make the top of the OE screen more rigid - though not totally free from oscillating back and forth under some conditons.   Loosen by a few turns the four (4) black plastic retaining screws to the screen: pull it out (towards the front of the bike) just a little, or take it right off if you wish: put a small self-adhesive silicone 'bumper' dot (furniture protector) on top of each of the two (2) behind-the-screen rubber pads above the uppermost screw - if you have sausage-like fingers use a thin-nosed pair of pliers to hold and place the dot.  
The screen is now supported a couple of inches higher up than originally: tighten screws.   [em]Et violin[/em] - an improvement, although the screen material is so thin that it has little rigidity.
Best screen I've ever put onto bike was from National Cycle, their V-Stream product.   Deeply-moulded to give an attractive and functional shape, thick, thick plastic, beautifully-crafted hardware to install, comprehensive instructions.   A work of art.
[em]Wordsmith  ('39 model) - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Archived