• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Home servicing and OBD2 reader

captainscarlet

In April of next year my 2015 Tracer will be five years old and the factory warranty will expire.  Under the warranty period I have had the bike serviced at a Yamaha dealer but will now switch over to servicing myself.  In fact I've already begun, having given the bike a thorough service at home before putting it into hibernation in October.

Whilst my bike has never shown me the check engine light in anger I am interested in purchasing an OBD2 reader to check and reset codes as necessary.  However I'm having great difficulty determining if this option is even open to me. A quick Google reveals that there are plenty of options for buying a Yamaha connector to OBD2 adapter cable.  However every seller I've found states in their description something like the following:

Support list:
YZF R1 2016- current
YZF R6 2017- current
MT-10 2016-current
MT-09 2016-current
TRACER 09 2016 -current
MT-07 2017-current
XSR-700 2017-current
TRACER 700 2017-current
FJR 1300 2016-current
as well as other models with 4 pin diagnostic connector.

What is CAN Bus? CAN Bus is the latest electronic communication type on motor vehicles.
Which Yamaha models are covered? Starting 2015 onwards. Though it is model dependent. Some models 2017 onwards.

The above is more than a little confusing. The list clearly states that the Tracer is covered but only from 2016 onwards.  However the text underneath states that models are covered from 2015 onwards.  Personally I was not aware of any difference in spec between 2015 models and 2016 models, more than colour that is.  In fact I've checked the Yamaha parts catalogue and 2015 and 2016 bikes have exactly the same part no. for the ECU, 2SC-8591A-00.  The 2017 ECU is part no. 2SC-8591A-60.  I'm assuming its the ECU part no. that determines whether its OBD2 reader capable or not.

A quick trawl of this forum gave the following:

One of the posts in the above thread clearly states that OBD2 will not work on 2015 to 2016 bikes.

My ideal solution would be to buy an adapter cable and a suitable OBD2 bluetooth dongle.  Is this possible?

Any and all insights appreciated.

CS

Edited by captainscarlet

• Supporting Member

A couple of years ago when I was talking with the mechanic at the local Yamaha shop, I asked about the new features on the 2017 Yamahas and he said that they would now come with a diagnostic port to connect the reader, no longer accessible through the bikes screen menus.

I am not sure if the new code reader would be able to be adapted to our older models.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

As I mentioned, and as another poster mentioned: 2015-2016 models can have codes cleared via DIAG mode using the instrument cluster or dealer software. 

2017 on up models use the OBD2 standard and require dealer software or an OBDII reader.

the 4pin connector has remained the same through this time.

i believe the question for the masses (once again) is: has anyone successfully accessed a 2015 or 2016 model with an OBDII reader?

my guess is that a reader won’t work, because Yamaha changed the actual fault code number to meet OBDII Requirements. 

-Skip

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, betoney said:

A couple of years ago when I was talking with the mechanic at the local Yamaha shop, I asked about the new features on the 2017 Yamahas and he said that they would now come with a diagnostic port to connect the reader, no longer accessible through the bikes screen menus.

I am not sure if the new code reader would be able to be adapted to our older models.

Just as a heads up, the connectors are the same. It will probably be a compatibility problem.
-S

3 hours ago, captainscarlet said:

Whilst my bike has never shown me the check engine light in anger I am interested in purchasing an OBD2 reader to check and reset codes as needed.

Save your money @captainscarlet and rejoice in the unique capability of the 2015 to check and clear codes via the dash using DIAG mode.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)