interstate motorcycle shipping

Just curious at this point, building knowledge for future possibilities ...

Has anyone used a motorcycle shipping service? This could help to create a good one way multi-day ride, getting further from home than an out-n-back or loop in the same amount of time. I've found it convenient to do point-to-point with EagleRider rentals a couple of times; never done it with my own bike.

Are there good ones out there? How'd it work out?

It would seem much easier to (a) ride away from home and ship it back home, than (b) ship it away from home and ride it back home. With (b) timing the shipping arrival is critical and/or some shipping-destination storage is necessary. With (a) as long as you can conveniently drop it off at your distant destination, the precise shipping-arrival back at your house is less critical. Have people tried both ways?

• Premium Member

My next door neighbor did that recently.

He rode to Sturgis with his hog group from Fort Lauderdale Florida.  They did it in 2 1/2 days. 😝 Then the wives rebelled  and they rode to Denver? Fort Collins? Colorado and shipped the bikes home and flew back. 

They paid $400-ish IIRC it was 6 or 7 bikes. All going to the same place. But it took a couple weeks for the bikes to make it back.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I traveled out to southern California in July and rented a bike from Riders Share. They arrange for people to rent out their personal bikes and carry insurance and all other necessities. I rented a FZ 09 and it turned out to be a great experience. I looked at the other rental options but they're all Hardleys and no sport options.

Yes, I've a friend who has used it a couple of times because he doesn't have a bike. The most recent time, he rented a Suzuki VStrom 1000. It suffered a presumed thermostat failure and overheated, cutting his trip short. He rented a pickup and drove it home. RidersShare did cover all the costs. RidersShare would not support a point-to-point venture, since you have to return it to the owner.

But what I'm looking for is, for example, how do I get my bike to Vancouver BC so I can take a week and ride it back to San Diego. Of course I would rather take two weeks and ride up and then down, but sometimes time is the constraint.

• Thumbsup 1

• 8 months later...

EagleRider are pretty good in bike shipping . I used  couple of times and found pretty good, Other then them you can consider citizenshipper or bike flight. They both are quiet good in bike shipping as i used their service and i am pretty happy with them.

If you are shipping bike inside USA then you can check once Citizenshipper Motorcycle transporting company as they have expertise in it. don't know whether they do cross country or not.
If not then you can consider Bike flight for shipping international as they are away ahead others in it.

Anyway, Here is some good tips that you need to do when you do ship no matter who it's with!!!

1: Make sure the name, address, and phone numbers for the person you are shipping to is correct and on the label!!! I always recommend a good contact number because it can mean the difference of getting delivered or sent back.

2: make sure you use good padding to protect the product and not so much that it bulges the box to much.

3: If there is other labels on the box especially with any kind of bar code use a black permanent marker and mark out the bar code and numbers if you can not remove or cover them up.

4: Always check on your tracking number and give it to the person you are shipping to so they will know when it is coming and the delivery info. That way you can see when they got it and if you have a signature required (there are 3 different signature choices.) who signed for it.

• Thanks 2

• 3 years later...

I am still interested in this and still hope for more information from someone who has done it. It is easy to find a shipping company with a search, hard to know if people have good experiences with them.

I looked for Bike Flight, all I find is www.bikeflights.com/ which deals with bicycles not motorcycles.

I just looked at Citizenshipper, it is a bid aggregator. Submit a pickup and dropoff location, and then you get a bunch of quotes from whomever. In two hours I got four quotes and one request for more detail on my scheduling flexibility (all I am doing is hypotheticals, I can't be specific on shcedule). Not quite what I was hoping for (maybe it has changed in 3.5 years).

Anyone use a specific company and have a good result?

• 1 month later...

I bought a semi-rare bike from a dealer in Chicago a couple years ago - sight unseen - and had is shipped with Motorcycle Shippers to me in Austin.  It was slow (like 2 months total, I think), but they did have serious blizzards to contend with.  The bike arrived without a scratch, and overall, I'd use 'em again.  They "palletize" each bike separately (not full 'crates' but also not just lose in the truck) - and it says on that pallet from pickup right to your driveway.