My poor FJ09

arnelx

Hello all,

Happy holidays and I hope you’re all riding safely out there. After 11 years of riding I got in my first fender bender. On a major freeway at lower speeds, a car pulled out in front of me and I couldn’t move out of the way fast enough. The  police report I received showed that it was a hit and run on the car’s fault.  I have a few photos but I’m at a point where the wife wants the bike gone and I don’t really know how to go about it. 

I have liability only insurance since it was a hit and run I could’ve used the uninsured motorist insurance but the other party left. Doh!

the bike is still in running condition(I rode it home after the incident). It’s just cosmetic damage. I’m asking for advice for wether selling it as is or fixing it up and then selling. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks 900. 

17C88E06-9562-41D1-ABEC-154384DDA179.jpeg

8D72AAF7-2D80-49F0-8D96-06C59530502B.jpeg

Edited by arnelx

• Premium Member

That sucks!

Hopefully your insurance will help you out. Take it to a dealer and have them do an estimate.  Will likely be totalled.

Check with your insurance  about coverage for your gear. If you have coverage and receipts some insurance will replace your gear.

What you do next is up to you. Do you have skills and tools to repair or are you "done" with it.

You could also consider parting it out. You might come out financially good doing that.

Best of luck, whatever you decide!

• Thanks 1

Glad your ok.

My fj was the first bike in bought that wasnt wreck by some one else. 

That looks like an easy fix. Just parts. If the bike handles fine. It wouldn't cost alot to fix. Less than 500 if already painted parts. Most of the cost with be the front fairing and head light. The other stuff is cheap.

Ditch the factory hand gaurds. If you still want hand gaurds get after market. $0 if just removed. 

Get vinyl wrap for the side bags that match the paint. $50-75

You can buy protective covers for the motor to hide the rash. $100-150

That looks very repairable from the photos. And there are more wrecked bike donor parts around nowadays. The headlight is probably the most expensive part I can see.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

OP said only liability insurance and the wife wants the bike gone.

At this point I would guess it would be a matter of your mechanical ability, then willingness to do the repair. If you CAN do the work yourself and repair everything, the bike will sell for more than as it is now (obviously). It's definitely not financially worth having dealership or outside mechanic to the work.

Taking the hit of selling as is may be difficult. You're limiting yourself to the mechanically inclined purchasers. Just subtracting the cost of parts from the price of an equal uncrashed bike may be a starting point for asking price. But you may have to go lower.

If you want to actually MAKE money on the bike, parting the entire vehicle out is the best way to go. But the most work and time consuming.

Good Luck on the decision. It's a tough one. We all know here that the FJ-09 is not a steed easily parted with.

1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

Get the FJ fixed and ride it. 

I agree with roadrash about the repair and use. Important thing is you walked away unhurt. If the bike is a keeper replace the broken plastic and stuff that needs to work yourself  and dont bother about marks and scratches on bits that are still serviceable. obviously it affects the resale or trade in value but you dont need to bother about that until its time to sell.

Bummer. I'd fix it and ride it. That's what I did after my hit and run on a previous bike.

Too bad about the liability only. But, the road isn't always easier when it comes to "phantom" hit and runs. Didn't know there was such a thing until my insurance company directed me to the fine print saying they won't pay on UI/UM unless they positively ID someone to go after. We settled on the bike and gear (after saying no five times, always say no five times, they'll come up). But when it got to 2k out of pocket for medical they pointed at that fine print. Long story but ended up suing my own insurance company for huge profit I never wanted two years after the fact. What a racket. When we're taking a break on a weekend canyon run and the Lotus Club or Ford GT Club goes by and someone says "Don't you wish you were one of those guys?" I always say "No, prefer the bike, but do wish I was their insurance agent!" :)

Edited by chitown
typo

The bike is worth $5000-5500 in mint condition.  Figure out the cost of repairs and if you’re up to the task and see which way is best to go. It pays to fix it right.  Trying to hide road rash with guards or micky mousing repairs will be seen through quickly by anyone willing to pay full tilt. If you’re not interested in doing it right you’re better off selling it the way it is.  If you’re going to keep it and ride it then it doesn’t matter how you fix it as long as you’re happy with it. My thinking it’s better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Let it sit for a while until your wife forgets about it then you can “tinker” with it and get it rideable. You’ll be back in the saddle.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'd fix it and ride it.. Glad you're unhurt! 

For many among us, riding is a passion, yes there's a risk and it's more dangerous than driving a car, but I like to think of it as a managed risk. But sometimes things are out of your control such as the situation that led to your accident, but you managed to come out of it unhurt and the bike doesn't look too bad either. Having said this, you have to live with your wife.. we don't, so it's a decision only you can make. 

I live with my gf for 10 years and totaled my bike a year and a half ago. I broke my knee and sternum and ended up in the trauma center. She never once suggested I stop riding. I just bought my 2nd new bike since the accident and they both have been in her name. I love riding too much and she supports me. Sucks to be you.

It recently occurred to me that bicycles are at least as dangerous as motorcycles. They way more unstable, no turn signals or brakes lights, they ride on the periphery of traffic and are just as unlikely to be seen if not more so and most riders are completely unprotected except for a little half helmet. Speed is the least likely element to get you injured. I hit 105 mph on the highway 10 minutes before I got hit doing 10 mph in a parking lot. This is not one of those wacko arguments like riding without helmets is actually safer. Think about it next time someone mentions how dangerous motorcycles are. 

On 12/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, chesterburnet said:

It recently occurred to me that bicycles are at least as dangerous as motorcycles.

I commuted on a bicycle two or three times when I lived relatively close to work. It was intimidating and I was incredibly vulnerable. Minimal ability to dodge. If I had to evade, all I could do was stop and swerve. No chance of hitting the gas to escape. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, orlando said:

If it is just the plastic parts, consider going naked. I pulled 10 plastic parts off the first month I owned the bike. They will be in pristine condition if I decide to sell.

So you ride it with no body panels?

• Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***