Triumph unveils next-generation Tiger 900 (12/3/2019)

RSDA

I looked really hard at another triumph before pulling the trigger on the tracer.  Ultimately it came down to parts availability.
When my 2012 triumph started to need some love and I started to throw parts at it, so many were NLA.  I couldn't believe how a 7 year old bike could have such a lack of OEM support.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kilo3 said:

I looked really hard at another triumph before pulling the trigger on the tracer.  Ultimately it came down to parts availability.
When my 2012 triumph started to need some love and I started to throw parts at it, so many were NLA.  I couldn't believe how a 7 year old bike could have such a lack of OEM support.

You mean like waiting a month for saddlebags then waiting 2 more months for saddlebag locks from Yamaha when the bike was new? Or not being able to buy a top box mount on a <  4 year old FJ?

43 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

You mean like waiting a month for saddlebags then waiting 2 more months for saddlebag locks from Yamaha when the bike was new? Or not being able to buy a top box mount on a <  4 year old FJ?

Accessories I let pass, I can live without them.  But a goddamn tps sensor that you can't buy separate from the throttle bodies, electronics modules, mounting hardware, microswitches... all NLA. Effff that bike.

I had to ebay from the UK that entire bike to get it up to snuff.

Looked hard at the tiger last spring before i got the tracer gt. Always liked the tigers and since my previous bike was a triumph speedmaster, it was a major contender. The 2 biggest reasons i didn't go with the tiger; cost, they start at more money than the gt. Second was the local dealership, they are an hour and a half away and just like the local HD shop if you don't look like you have money getting service from the sales staff is like pulling teeth. No thanks, super happy with my gt and the sales staff at the local yamaha dealer.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, kilo3 said:

I have always loved all of the European models (bikes) but have always shied away due to that reason.  I have several friends or riding acquaintances who own Ducati, BMW or Aprilia, one guy currently owns all 3.  Every single one of those guys has at least one horror story of reliability and parts availability but its a love affair with the bike that they accept those issues as part of ownership.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, ABlast82 said:

Looked hard at the tiger last spring before i got the tracer gt. Always liked the tigers and since my previous bike was a triumph speedmaster, it was a major contender. The 2 biggest reasons i didn't go with the tiger; cost, they start at more money than the gt. Second was the local dealership, they are an hour and a half away and just like the local HD shop if you don't look like you have money getting service from the sales staff is like pulling teeth. No thanks, super happy with my gt and the sales staff at the local yamaha dealer.

And the triumph needs valve checks every 12,000 miles, GT every 24,000, servicing cost soon adds up! That's why I went for GT

That's a big issue too, while i didn't mind the guys who worked on my bike there, paying their shop rate and more often was another strike against the tiger for me.

Not that the local yamaha guys are much better. For my first service which is just a glorified oil change and retorque of shop assembled components, ended up costing me about 260 CAD. My old 6l ford with 14.5 liters of oil was a 100 bucks less.

• Premium Member

I don't know about the Tiger, but when I had a Triumph TT600 I joined a model-specific forum and we quickly learned there were many good alternatives to OEM parts. Just one example I remember was the fuel filter: Triumph wanted $60 for it, but a BMW dealer would sell you exactly the same filter (with a roundel on it) for $15. Turn signals were the same ones used by Buell, Moto Guzzi, and Ducati. It used the same oil filter as my wife's Mitsubishi Lancer (and the FJ-09, FWIW). We had a pretty good cross-reference going in the forum. 

All these manufacturers use the same global suppliers. With something like a TPS I wouldn't be surprised if there is a cheaper alternative available from some other manufacturer, or even at a local car parts store. Most of the Tiger's EFI system probably comes from Keihin or the like. 

Obviously it'll never be quite as easy to find parts for a Triumph as for a Yamaha or Honda. But there are often alternatives.